Ecstasy rides out H. Rita (Pics)

jollyroger1965

Two points:

1. I was on the triumph 2 weks after after the alleged event a couple year ago. The staff Captain ( a credible source) described that storm and wave conditions that fit that photo. The bow had lockers torn off by waves.

2. Last Sat coming back from Bermuda on NCL Majesty we had splash and heavy spray coming over the bow on deck # 5. There would be a loud bang followed by the spray and very significant vibration for a few seconds. While it did not bother me, many were not so lucky. The rolling was also significant.

My son was on the USS Iwo Jima that week to also ride out the strom. This helicopter carrier is similar in size. As soon as I get to speak with him I am sure I will learn they had similar conditions except the carrier is a deeper draft vessel and does not roll as much as a shallow draft cruise ship..

You will never be able to convince some ppl. They will argue anything. You'd be hard pressed to convince them that the color black is really black. They'd have to investigate first. I guess they get some kind of satisfaction out of having to be right all the time. Who cares? When you look at the devastation that waves caused to structures on the MS coast it's not hard to believe that waves could toss a ship around a little bit. The power of water is greatly underestimated.

Thanks for posting. It reminds us just how dangerous the seas can be.... and why ships re-route when filled with paying passengers.

We hear compaints when ships itineraries are changed due to storms, but can you imagine the compaints if they would go thru this?

~~~~~~~~~~

Ecstasy back in New Orleans:

050927_carnivalcruise_hlg_9p.hlarge.jpg

They said this was a Photoshop slop too...

http://www.sealetter.com/artwork/ecsfire2.jpg

But if you go to the NTSB web site you can read the final report....

I have been in 45 foot plus seas...it ain't the size of the swell, its how you hit it and at what speed. Riding the waves is a bit easier on the ship than pounding thru. But the period between and the size of the combined seas (there are normally two sets, swells from one direction plus sea waves from another...when they get together the result can be the fabled rouge wave) is constantly changing so piloting thru such seas is an art...and not something accomplished well on auto-pilot.

I find these pictures credible

Two ships this close together during hurricane avoidance...credible

Maneuvering in a 'sub-optimal' manner while loitering at a pilot station - credible

If they are fakes - the guy is a wizard with photoshop - I'll hire him for my shop

Thanks for posting. It reminds us just how dangerous the seas can be.... and why ships re-route when filled with paying passengers.

We hear compaints when ships itineraries are changed due to storms, but can you imagine the compaints if they would go thru this?

~~~~~~~~~~

Ecstasy back in New Orleans:

050927_carnivalcruise_hlg_9p.hlarge.jpg

Thats a much better picture:)

Help.....I can't get the pictures after I click on link??????????????

Someone tell me how, please

After you go to the new link:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/463053568ZyeShy

Look for the grey box under the picture, and in the middle you'll see, Album: Ecstasy. Click on Ecstasy and it will show you all of the slides. You can then click on View Slideshow to have them auto displayed.

John

We were on the Holiday when she ran behind Dennis. The waves were big but smaller that these I think.

I'm mostly just a lurker, but I was on that cruise too, if it was the July 9th cruise. That first night was HORRIBlE! I do believe we were in something similiar. I'm a former airline pilot and looked up marine charts, etc when we got home, as I couldn't get an answer from anyone on the ship! I believe based on all the reports and just guessing where we were, they had us in up to 33 ft seas and up to 60 mph winds.:eek: We were on the Empress deck and I only looked out the window ONCE, that was enough for me.:( A couple on the Riveria said waves were coming up past their windows!!

Michelle

No real evidence of the person who took them. Ships don't teavel this close together. pal.

We have been given a name and position of the person that took them... little more evidence than what you have presented isn't it??? Most people that are in the business aren't using kodak throw away cameras... they have use of sophisticated camera equipment and telephoto lenses. If the ships were sent out to certain coordinates together, it is very highly possible they were in the same vicinity of one another at the time. Doesn't mean they were sitting side by side... means someone just used REAL camera equipment. I have tried and tried and haven't seen evidence where this has been photoslopped... with the Truimph pic, that was more obvious... not so with these, looks like a ship that was in large swells. Can you point out to us the obvious photoshop errors??? I'm just not seeing it. I would think if they were photoshopped, they would make it a little more dramatic.

Okay... I sent these pics, along with the Triumph one, to a friend of mine who is a master seaman currently operating a tractor tug in SFO. Here is his response (expletives deleted):

Dude, these pictures are totaly real. It looks exactly as I have seen it for real.

You have to understand that no matter how big the seas actually are, a two dimensional

photo never ever gives you the proper prospective and they never give you the sense

of how big the seas are. If you really look at that pic of the Triumph, look and the bottom

of the wave,(about midships) and then look at where the front of the wave is by the bow.

The ships freeboard at that point is at least 30 feet. they are in some serious s**t in that photo.

You also have to remember that a photo is just a fraction of a second. That ship was probably

on its way down into that sea (which is f*****g huge by the way) and I guarantee you that

if another pic was taken five seconds later, the whole bow would be out of the water.

I have tugboat pics of when I was in 35 ft. seas and it looks like no big deal in the photos.

Believe me, it was f******g huge but the pictures just cant show it.

Look at the pics of ecstasy where the bulbous bow is out of the water. (the big ***********

at the point end) the whole thing is out of the water. From the bottom of the keel to the waterline on those ships is about 25 feet. Your house is probably no more that 25 ft high

and these waves are way higher than your house.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Okay... I sent these pics, along with the Triumph one, to a friend of mine who is a master seaman currently operating a tractor tug in SFO. Here is his response (expletives deleted):

Dude, these pictures are totaly real. It looks exactly as I have seen it for real.

You have to understand that no matter how big the seas actually are, a two dimensional

photo never ever gives you the proper prospective and they never give you the sense

of how big the seas are. If you really look at that pic of the Triumph, look and the bottom

of the wave,(about midships) and then look at where the front of the wave is by the bow.

The ships freeboard at that point is at least 30 feet. they are in some serious s**t in that photo.

You also have to remember that a photo is just a fraction of a second. That ship was probably

on its way down into that sea (which is f*****g huge by the way) and I guarantee you that

if another pic was taken five seconds later, the whole bow would be out of the water.

I have tugboat pics of when I was in 35 ft. seas and it looks like no big deal in the photos.

Believe me, it was f******g huge but the pictures just cant show it.

Look at the pics of ecstasy where the bulbous bow is out of the water. (the big ***********

at the point end) the whole thing is out of the water. From the bottom of the keel to the waterline on those ships is about 25 feet. Your house is probably no more that 25 ft high

and these waves are way higher than your house.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for posting that! I'm assuming you are a believer now?? LOL... like I said, the pics weren't really THAT dramatic considering what they were sailing through... I'm sure people like your friend have seen much worse.... still nothing I would care to be on!!! LOL! Thanks again for posting his thoughts!! Sounds like a funny guy!!

I'll tell you what.....Get in touch with the AV Mgr on board the Sensation and ask him if he 'did' take those photographs. In fact get the news networks to get in touch with him since he should get all credit for taking them and hopefully make some $$$ for his effort. I only received them via e-mail and that too from one of CCL ships and thought sharing it with the board would be great.

I guess you didn't read my earlier post saying that these were not fake and in fact taken by the Sensation's AV Manager while the Sensation was alongside the Ecstasy,

hi there i cant see the pics. how else can i see them.

Archived