Taxis in Antigua

groovechick

Hi, I'm hoping all you experienced Caribbean cruisers can advise.

We have been considering a tour (with Scenic or Lawrence) during our day in Antigua, but I am a bit worried we may be "toured out", as the second week of our cruise is very port heavy - no sea days at all - and we already have tours booked on Grenada and St Maarten.

We are on a very tight budget, so more expensive excursions such as catamarans/snorkelling are out.

If we don't feel like doing a full tour for several hours, would taxis from the port offer mini tours of the island? Or if we just wanted to go to Nelson's Dockyard and look round there (I believe there are museums/places to eat?), how much would it cost pp for a taxi and would the taxi come back for us at an agreed time? Are they reliable?

Any suggestions for the best way to see something of the island on a budget much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Antigua several years ago and picked up a taxi a few blocks into the town. The taxi driver quoted us a reasonable fare to tour the island and we agreed. The first "surprise" was that another group with a small child had been waiting for him to fill the van and were included in our day (the child ended up being well behaved). The 2nd and worst surprise was when we got a flat tire and he didn't have a spare. While we stood in the heat he walked to a tire store and came back with a tire that was almost bald. My husband was concerned we would have a blow out as we went up and down the hills.

I don't know if our mistake was waiting to get into town to get a taxi or not... it was not a pleasant experience.

We were in Antigua several years ago and picked up a taxi a few blocks into the town. The taxi driver quoted us a reasonable fare to tour the island and we agreed. The first "surprise" was that another group with a small child had been waiting for him to fill the van and were included in our day (the child ended up being well behaved). The 2nd and worst surprise was when we got a flat tire and he didn't have a spare. While we stood in the heat he walked to a tire store and came back with a tire that was almost bald. My husband was concerned we would have a blow out as we went up and down the hills.

I don't know if our mistake was waiting to get into town to get a taxi or not... it was not a pleasant experience.

Thank you UAcruiser. I'd given up hope of getting a reply so in the meantime have booked with Scenic. Based on your experience it sounds like it was a good move!