Just Returned From Magic

Cruiseathoning

I wasn't going to post. I really wasn't. Then I read some post about the bad American Table menu and had to comment. The truth is, the MDR is fine. Not spectacular, not extravagant, but you can find something tasty and well-prepared most any evening. Also, healthy. With selections of fish, chicken, and salmon you can protect your heart and your waistline.

American Table is just a name. I say that because the menu is evolving. Some nights you might find lasagna, or others you might find Shrimp Creole-and it seems to vary cruise to cruise. Carnival is still working on the best fit for its passengers. One oft overlooked element is the port of call menu. Here you can find port inspired exotic favorites that are often the best offerings.

That said, if clam chowder with crab cake and Jumbo shrimp is not for you, might I suggest a bisque? Perhaps prime rib is more your thing. See where I am going with this?

Look, the fellow who complained has a right to. But complaints without context irk me. This ship is a marvel. You pay, you know, $500-850 a person and get an IS or balcony, and for that you get a week of..

Professional stage productions, professional comedians, all the trivia you could want, karaoke, excellent drinks, a ridiculously wide array of lunch options-Mexican, Mongolian, BBQ, Salad, standard "taste of nations" buffet changing daily, a pasta bar and a TANDOOR.

You also get, free movies on a gorgeous HD outdoor big screen, ice carvings, various contests, Bingo, a chance to be a star in the Legends show-there was good talent on the most recent run to KW/BAH, dance classes, the chance to make friends and the Quest-which if you are good boys and girls I will fill you in on.

Now NCL specialty dining is better food. And there is no Broadway on this ship. But Carnival, especially this crew, excels at CONNECTING. You take Curly the entertainment host with you when you leave. He becomes part of your family memories. He engages. So does Arsana, the 21 yr vet of the dining room scene, always friendly, always on point, as Willie Degel likes to say.

Then there is Disna, a loyal, attentive, and warm steward who literally bends over backward to please. Sure there is not exclusively anytime dining-but do you know what you lose with anytime dining?

Seatmates. Friends that you make, and get to know, and plan future trips and cruises with, you know, actual human interaction. That sort of thing used to be important. Yes Royal does some things spectacularly, so does NCL, and Carnival is not spectacular. But it is indescribably fun-the intangibles, the friendliness, the camaraderie, the hugs, pics, and smiles and hand slapping when you when a game of washer toss-these things add up to joy.

I left the ship and remarked to my Wife that Carnival gave us a great deal of fun and created an environment of whimsy. While NCL delivers Rock of Ages, there is rarely anything special for lunch and the trivia is few and far between. That may not matter to some of you, but it matters to a lot of us. The chance to "goof off", grab a drink, and playfully argue over deodorant slogans is a welcome respite from the formalities of day to day life.

Yes the cornmeal chicken was cardboard. So bleeping what? Arsana just brings you something else-in my case a good steak with a baked potato. Oh, the horror.

Maybe it is me. I grew up poor poor. So the chance-whenever it presents itself, to go on a ship and be treated like a King and make friends and have fun and escape from the everyday is a blessing to us. So maybe I look at a piece of steak and get giddy while others pine for better cuts. I myself have had better.

But I looked at my facebook, and it is stunning how many of my friends are from Carnival, either pax or crew. Stunning. And we keep in touch. None from Royal, or NCL though. Does that mean something to some of you? Maybe maybe not. But while Carnival does nothing spectacularly, it does most everything very well. Now I love Royal, and NCL delivered top notch food and entertainment on our anniversary trip, top notch. But it did not feel like leaving my best friends when I left those ships. With Carnival, it is like I am leaving family and as soon as I get home, I want to plan another one.

I mean we were on smoky Freedom, and that was its biggest-albeit a large problem, and after being aggravated about the smoke, we still remembered Jen's energy and hugs, and support, and Majda's willingness to fill our glasses with Arnold Palmers upon arrival at dinner, and Symogi's humor, and, we booked the Magic.

And if you have a booking for the Magic, be prepared to smile, laugh, dance, drink, eat, play, swim, relax, and re-connect with family. You will have a spectacular time.

Uh, maybe Carnival DOES do some things spectacularly well. Deliver fun, make awesome memories, and help to foster lifelong friendships. If those things matter, you overlook the odd serving of cardboard chicken..

and then you ask one of your new best friends to bring you a steak.

Have fun, cruise often.

Edited by Cruiseathoning

Thank you for posting this! My husband and I read all of the complaints and our reaction is exactly what yours is.

The cruise is what you make of it. I don't understand why some of these people even go on cruises when they seem to whine about every little thing. Now if something is a serious problem, I'll whine, but not having lobster on a 5-day cruise is not what I'd call a serious problem.

Seriously, I don't go on a cruise for the food. I go for exactly what you described - the fun, the ports of call, the people I encounter but mostly the memories that I MAKE!!

Bravo to you for posting this. Can't wait to taste the American Table menu items in January!

Edited by karlanee

Thank you for posting this! My husband and I read all of the complaints and our reaction is exactly what yours is.

The cruise is what you make of it. I don't understand why some of these people even go on cruises when they seem to whine about every little thing. Now if something is a serious problem, I'll whine, but not having lobster on a 5-day cruise is not what I'd call a serious problem.

Seriously, I don't go on a cruise for the food. I go for exactly what you described - the fun, the ports of call, the people I encounter but mostly the memories that I MAKE!!

Bravo to you for posting this. Can't wait to taste the American Table menu items in January!

I agree with you except about the lobster! I'm semi-joking but I sometimes feel that maybe the powers that be at carnival will read the post and be in some small way influenced by them and that's the only reason why I state my wishes to have MORE LOBSTER!!! I really would like more lobster!! Oh by the way did I mention I'd like more lobster? Okay that's enough message for beards at Carnival.....

No the big things I really enjoy about Carnival is that even when you cruise alone you feel like you have a whole bunch of friends on board. My sister and I cruised on the Navigator of the Seas to the Mediterranean a few years back. The trip was lovely and seeing Athens, Crete, Ephesus Turkey, etc.. was fantastic but when we walked down the promenade of the ship we really felt like we were walking down a city street among strangers. Not so when you are on a carnival cruise. Also I love the karaoke. I love to sing and there is not a friendlier group on the ocean then the karaoke participants on a Carnival cruise ship. Some of the changes such as playlist productions without the show band, Hasbro the game show, and yes loss of the lobsters on five day and less cruises do sort of have my panties in a wad but overall I still have a great time or I wouldn't continue to go! Which is why I have chosen to cruise with carnival 20 times while I've only chosen to cruise with Royal Caribbean 3 times, with Norwegian 5 times, and with Princess two times.

I agree with everything your said. I didn't read the thread regarding the bad American Table food, but I can imagine along the lines it must have gone.

Carnival does offer an excellent value for the money spent. It always amazes me that someone will pay Motel 6 prices, but expect a Ritz Carlton experience. In order to keep prices low (And I realize I'm preaching to the choir here), economies have to be made. At the end of the day, just how important is the food? Last December we went on a European river cruise. The food was probably the best of any we have eaten on any cruise, and I cannot recall a single meal. Oh I remember the great conversations we had with other passengers, and the fabulous service, but not one dish.

On the Magic in 12 days!!! Thanks for your insight.

We're platinum with NCL and Gold with Carnival. I have met some people I would want to cruise with again on both lines.

I too am just looking for relaxation, no cell phones or emails and fun!Am I looking for 5 star dining? No! Will I starve.... Hardly!!

Thanks for helping me get evening excited about my trip!

Thank you for the awesome post! I have 201 days left until I leave on the Magic!

Some people scare me with their post complaining about things, or stating opinions I should say......making me think should I change my cabin, should I even go? Really? Nothing to eat? That was getting scary, I mean I could lose a few pounds but nothing to eat on a ship for a week sounds miserable. Glad that's cleared up.

I've been on Carnival Celebration in 2003 and Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Sea in 2007 and all I can remember of those is having a good time, no complaints at all. Both times we were in an inside cabins, on our Magic cruise coming up in 201 days we'll be in a balcony! I'm so excited! I've always wanted a balcony!! Sorry...didn't mean to get carried away.

Thanks again for the great Magic review!

We sail her in a couple of weeks, and I've been amazed at the number of negative reviews. We experienced the same phenomenon leading up to our Sunshine sailing, and that turned out to be one of our best cruises ever! Every now and again I experience frustration on a cruise (which can be caused by either fellow passengers or staff), but I've never had a cruise where the bad outweighed the good. It has to have something to do with expectations, that's all I can figure.

Nice post OP, We will be on the Magic the week after Thanksgiving. We will have YTD can you tell me if Arsana in the YTD? If she is we'll request her section also do you know where she is from? Thanks. TR

Edited by Trnkk

Couldn't agree with you more! I have had the American Table menu and if you can't find something you like on it I feel like you are extremely picky. Yes they didn't have my favorite bitter n blanc last time I sailed but that surely will not keep me from sailing on Carnival again.

:) We're just back from four nights on Inspiration. At almost 70, we were among the oldest on board. We'd been warned about the "noisy, obnoxious booze cruise." Never happened. It was relaxing and fun. The food was terrific--- and as OP (sort of) said, if x wasn't tasty, there was plenty of x, y and z. Never met a surly crew member or a rude passenger. Ready to go again!

We just got back from the Magic this past Sunday, too. It was the best cruise we've had out of three. The cruise director, Dr. E, was hilarious and very involved. The food was good/some great (loved the new tropical fruit flan) and ATD service was stellar. Comedy shows were good, piano bar good, live music abundant, etc. We didn't encounter a single rude staff member, and the ship was very clean. Even most every passenger was pleasant.

I said just yesterday on here that I don't see how anyone can come off a cruise and complain about food! There must be something you can find good to eat.

Thanks for the review OP. Booked on the Magic for next year, and I know we will enjoy it!

I am not booking cruises to nitpick and complain. Life is too short. My money too hard earned.

Loved the post!

We just got off the Magic on the 20 th and as usual had a wonderful time. We love the ship, it's our third time. The staff and crew are great and always make us feel special. The food is good, we always find something to eat at dinner, we don't eat seafood but there is always something else for us to eat. We think we get the beat cabin steward on every cruise , and we do. A cruise is what you make of it and we choose to enjoy and go with the flow. The cruise director was the best , Everson , Dr.E. He remembers names and really enjoys his job. My only complaint is that the 7 days go by too quickly.