Document needed for traveling to Mexico with kids, without their father?

sarakatg

I'm traveling next month with my three children and my boyfriend. We will be going on Oasis to the Caribbean and Mexico. I have my passport, all three of the kids' passports, and I share a last name with the kids. Do I need any document from my ex-husband giving me permission to take the kids out of the country?

RCCL says if the last name is different, I need a paper trail to prove the relationship, and if the children are traveling without a legal guardian, notarized permission is needed. Neither of those are the case here, though. Still, I don't want to find we can't board in Florida or that they can't get off the ship somewhere!!

No, you don't need the documentation from the other parent unless you're flying into Mexico. Cruising there you don't need it. As far as flying to Mexico is concerned (just for fyi), that rule about needing a certified letter from the other parent isn't always enforced, but it is required even for married people, and even if your last names are the same, unless both parents are traveling with the kids.

With cruising, the rule has nothing to do with Mexico or the mexico documentation rule, it's a rule for cruising in general. If you are traveling with your kids and your last names are different (whether you're married or not doesn't matter), then you need documentation to prove you're the parent/legal guardian; otherwise you're fine.

In a nutshell, in your circumstance, you don't need a letter.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

When sailing without the children's father, I always take a signed, notarized document with me from their dad stating I have permission to take the children out of the country. I also list the countries we are traveling to. Technically, I don't need it, but better safe than sorry.