Obtaining Passport question

CSDC

This may sound like a dumb question, but when I apply for my passport do I need a copy of my marriage certificate? I will be going to a NY DMV to apply and my drivers license is in my married name. I want to get it soon, and can't find my certificate so I'll need to get a copy.

I just applied for my first passport 4 weeks ago and it arrived yesterday. You need certified documentation to prove who you are. If you are applying for passport with the name on your birth certificate (meaining you didn't change your name when you got married) then you only need your birth certificate. However, if you did change your name, you need it to prove why your name now does not match your name on the birth certificate. I am married and I changed my name, therefore I was required to submit both. Definitely take it with you when you apply. If the rules change and you don't need it, fine. But if they require it and you don't have it with you, you'll be sorry. By the way, they said normal processing would take 4-6 weeks. We received ours in 3 1/2 weeks. Very easy process.

Interesting... I wasn't asked for one, nor was it mentioned. I got my first passport today (well, actually it's my second but my first was 30 years ago and in my maiden name as I was 16 at the time).

BTW, I applied on 8/12 and mine was one of the ones that went to New Orleans. 6 1/2 weeks isn't bad at all considering!

Archived