Thomson Dream - food, entertainment

Talking of food standards on the Dream we did have enough negatives to make comments about the food standards and while you may get what you pay for is not the right attitude.Thomson does not promote its cruises as

low priced in fact all the cruise companies have offers on, and from what I

hear from other cruisers the standard has dropped on many ships ie having to pay extra to get a steak for example. This has been the case since speciality

restaurants were added on the ships. we have cruised on the Dream many times and Thomsons other ships and this was the worst food experience ever in the restaurant many other passengers made the same comments but

maybe they do not wish to say publically, so the question is do we try again

or go with another company, have to think about it, as the rest of the travel with Thomsons to and from their ships works well.

I have to say if I was ever that disappointed with any holiday I definitely wouldn't go again [emoji15]

• 2 weeks later...
Hey strangers!

I hope you're all keeping well. It's been a while (4 Jan 2014 since I logged in I'm informed!).

I've been on 2 cruises, both Thomson Dream. First time August 2011, second time June 2012. Went off it the second time as there was a marked drop in quality. One of the main things for us was the food quality and time it took to get served. Drastically worse from 10 months earlier.

We're now considering a cruise again, and I'm wondering if anyone whose been on the Dream a few times over the years can comment on their view on the trend.

Obviously it's just an indicator, as we anticipate cruising again in 2016. As such the game can change again. But I'd really value your thoughts. Right now we're also looking at NCL and RC, but we do really like the entertainment on the Dream. How's this holding up nowadays?

Many thanks in advance!

I noticed a deterioration in the variety and quality of food to 3 years ago, the speed of service was good. Very disappointed with the wine and lager on the all inclusive option which we had as part of our early booking,poor quality Spanish wine and Fosters lager, in fact in future, I will leave my booking to a later date as I would prefer to give the all inclusive a miss.

The show teams were good, as were the guest comedians.

The crew and staff, were as good as ever, but just felt short money saving cuts were being made, we stayed in cabin 6058, which needs a bit of a refurbish. The cabin was kept clean and the bed comfortable.

The second week there was an outbreak of the dreaded virus. The staff dealt with the outbreak really well, we were not allowed to serve ourselves from the buffet or urns for the last 5 days.

Not sure I would go on the Dream again, but will probably try the Discovery.

This was our tenth cruise with Thomson.

Hope the above helps.

I noticed a deterioration in the variety and quality of food to 3 years ago, the speed of service was good. Very disappointed with the wine and lager on the all inclusive option which we had as part of our early booking,poor quality Spanish wine and Fosters lager, in fact in future, I will leave my booking to a later date as I would prefer to give the all inclusive a miss.

The show teams were good, as were the guest comedians.

The crew and staff, were as good as ever, but just felt short money saving cuts were being made, we stayed in cabin 6058, which needs a bit of a refurbish. The cabin was kept clean and the bed comfortable.

The second week there was an outbreak of the dreaded virus. The staff dealt with the outbreak really well, we were not allowed to serve ourselves from the buffet or urns for the last 5 days.

Not sure I would go on the Dream again, but will probably try the Discovery.

This was our tenth cruise with Thomson.

Hope the above helps.

I was just wondering- I read your post about the Thompson Dream. Thinking of going on this cruise sometime in the future. When you say there was an outbreak of the dreaded virus, how many people were affected? I would rather know before booking if it's a regular occurance or if it was just a one off.

thanks.

Sorry to drag this up again :o:o but the food was bad when we were on in April/May 2013 and a lot of illness on board. Then I read reports that the food had improved. Now I hear the food is bad again, particularly that the food was not very warm, a recipe for picking up bugs and illness on board again!

Of course we passengers were blamed for the illness. I said at the time it was food poisoning and still maintain that it was. Noro was NEVER mentioned by the Captain, just gastro-intestinal illness. Of course Thomson would have to pay compo for food poisoning but Noro can be blamed on dirty passengers!

Just my observations :rolleyes:

Hey strangers!

I hope you're all keeping well. It's been a while (4 Jan 2014 since I logged in I'm informed!).

I've been on 2 cruises, both Thomson Dream. First time August 2011, second time June 2012. Went off it the second time as there was a marked drop in quality. One of the main things for us was the food quality and time it took to get served. Drastically worse from 10 months earlier.

We're now considering a cruise again, and I'm wondering if anyone whose been on the Dream a few times over the years can comment on their view on the trend.

Obviously it's just an indicator, as we anticipate cruising again in 2016. As such the game can change again. But I'd really value your thoughts. Right now we're also looking at NCL and RC, but we do really like the entertainment on the Dream. How's this holding up nowadays?

Many thanks in advance!

I was on the Thompson dream last august. the main dining room was terrible for breakfast but ok for dinner, the buffets not that good wouldn't go on that ship again.

Found it OK in May but honestly have never experienced a problem in all the years we have cruised on Thomson. Yes they have had to take the extra precortions onsome occasions, I think mainly when cruiser's have not followed normal hygiene procedures I think we have all witnest this but with all the precortions they take when it occurs it always puts our mind at rest, we have never been on other cruise lines but I do believe they have the same problem's:)

Sorry to drag this up again :o:o but the food was bad when we were on in April/May 2013 and a lot of illness on board. Then I read reports that the food had improved. Now I hear the food is bad again, particularly that the food was not very warm, a recipe for picking up bugs and illness on board again!

Of course we passengers were blamed for the illness. I said at the time it was food poisoning and still maintain that it was. Noro was NEVER mentioned by the Captain, just gastro-intestinal illness. Of course Thomson would have to pay compo for food poisoning but Noro can be blamed on dirty passengers!

Just my observations :rolleyes:

Hi Cruisin Linda, I was informed that one of the technical team for the lighting and sound in the show rooms had gone down with Noro and a few passengers. The crew put all the correct procedures in place and we all were informed by letter regarding the virus. This was the first time in 20 years of cruising. We were fine, but as I stated earlier the food is not what it was, unless you pay extra for one of the specialty restaurants ( perhaps this is the problem that Thompson like other providers would prefer us to pay extra) After saying that, I will still probably try them again next year.

I was just wondering- I read your post about the Thompson Dream. Thinking of going on this cruise sometime in the future. When you say there was an outbreak of the dreaded virus, how many people were affected? I would rather know before booking if it's a regular occurance or if it was just a one off.

thanks.

Not many seemed to be affected and this is the fist time we have had an outbreak of Noro in 20 years of cruising and most of our cruises have been with Thomson. They quickly made passengers aware, which was the right action and the precautions put in place seemed to quickly control the virus. We would have no hesitation in booking another cruise.

hello , i am of of the dream on saturday i have never been before , we are not big drinkers so we dont have the drinks package . is any drinks included at all on board with breakfast etc or any meal ? on the buffet

thanks

Also going on Saturday try the omelette station and juice first thing in the morning and a quick walk around the ships decks sets you up for the day