Scuba newbie

honeymooner9

I'm heading on the Celebration to Nassau this weekend for our honeymoon and though strapped for cash, my husband and I were wondering about scuba diving. If we bring the equipment with us, is there anyway we can scuba off the beaches, like Cable Beach or off Paradise Island? Do we have to pay for a tour? We've never tried it before so any kind of adventure for us is more than enough:)

And is there anything else we first timer cruisers MUST know? We're all ears!!:)

merci!

Since you can't bring your full tanks on board a flight, or the cruiseship, you'd have to find a place that is willing to fill your tanks without a tour.

You can check bahama divers. http://www.bahamadivers.com/diving.htm

They are located in the Nassau Yacht Haven near the Paradise Bridge. They may be able to point you in the right direction as far as off-shore diving.

Diving off-shore is not really all that good. Constuction, over use, boats, jetskis etc have all depleted the reefs surrounding the islands considerably.

You're best bet is to take a dive with an outfit like Bahama Divers. Not that expensive, and they take you to the outer reefs and wrecks. Soooo much better.

Additionallyh, there are undertows and currents along the harbour which can be dangerous. You always have to know your waters before diving.

scubagirrl, I've been reading through all of these threads and you are just a wealth of knowledge!! I appreciate all of your advice, thanks much! What I meant to type (see, I'm SO new at this) was SNORKELING. The scuba diving is fun - but you're right, I should definately have a guide with us then:) So snorkeling isn't safe next to the beaches either? I checked out Bahama Divers online as well as Stuart Cove's - do you know of a difference between the two?

Thanks again!!!

Glad you clarified that.. you can certainly try snorkeling from any of the hotels beachs. There's NOT a whole lot to see, but the beach off the Radisson (you're not really allowed there) is OK, and there are rocks off the Wyndham at Cable Beach that you can check out. Bring along a baggie of cheerios or some other breakfast cereal, and the fishes will find you.

Stay near the beaches with life guards or those in front of hotels. Other places may seem to be fine, but can have some danger spots. To REALLY enjoy the bahamas reefs and waters, a tour is in order. Either Bahama Divers or Stuart Cove's would be fine. My fav would be the afternoon dive from Stuart Cove, which includes snorkeling above the sharks. Bahama Divers go to the North east of Paradise Island. Stuart Cove goes to the South West of New Providence Island. Stuart Cove has more interesting sites, but NE is certainly a thrill for novice snorkelers.

Any tour that takes you to Rose Island, Anthol Island or the Sea Gardens is a good bet.

Archived