Who is pianist in Triumph piano bar?

TorontoBeach

Okay - question from someone who works as a professional pianist part-time . . .

Are there are piano bars with traditional or classically-trained musicians - or jazz - I love to relax with a drink and here someone that is really gifted, not necessarily just the raucous funny stuff (although that is fun too), but also like to hear a little true piano music - is there any of that too?

VMom:

There is -- but not in the Piano Bars -- except, perhaps, when the featured performer has a night off.

As Dave, currently the Piano Bar guy on the Fantasy explains, "There are 11 places on the ship you can go and listen to music. This (Piano Bar) is NOT one of them."

His point is that the Carnival Piano Bar "experience" is to involve the crowd and get them singing, drinking, and participating. Playing Herbie Hancock tunes (as much as I like HH) is just not going to do it. Just a different gig.

There is usually a cocktail piano player or a classical pianist playing somewhere -- though usually during the day.

CTMak

Okay - question from someone who works as a professional pianist part-time . . .

Are there are piano bars with traditional or classically-trained musicians - or jazz - I love to relax with a drink and here someone that is really gifted, not necessarily just the raucous funny stuff (although that is fun too), but also like to hear a little true piano music - is there any of that too?

On every cruise that I have been on there has been several options for "listening music" - both jazz and classical. I have enjoyed classical music in the atrium area and jazz in the "cigar bar" lounge for example while having a cup of coffee in the very early evening or a drink before/after dinner...I really enjoy that myself BEFORE I head over to the Piano Bar and sing my tush off!! :)

Thanks everyone! This is my first cruise so I wasn't sure what to expect. Sounds like a lot of fun though - I will definitely check it out!

I admire piano players that can get a crowd moving and having fun. I never seemed to master that - more of the "in the background, playing during dinner type pianist!"

I can't wait!

I was on the Triumph on 1-28-06 and the Piano bar had Nicholas in there - he was to put it lightly - TERRIBLE!!!

The place was so empty I couldn't believe it. A real disappointment for us because we had a blast with Kevin on the Victory the year before.

The "piano man" does make or break the experience I suppose. Luckily I have never had anyone that I thought was terrible but I have certainly had some that were better than others. I can't imagine not having some fun in the Piano Bar every night! I would be disappointed as well!! BARRY WAS THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST on the Glory!

I also suppose that the crowd and the mood of the "piano man" that week plays a part as there was someone here on CC who absolutely raved about the Paino Man on her cruise and then I sailed with him and I thought he was a bit boring and not very friendly to the passengers. Funny thing was that I looked back in some my old Capers from a previous sailing during which I had a blast in the Piano Bar and it was the same guy!

Greg:

When were you on the Glory? I am sailing on the Glory on 2/25/06. Should be interesting to see if it is the same person.

Does anyone know if any guest piano players ever enter the talent show, and, if so, what kind of things they play? My daughter wants me to win her a ship on a stick (whatever in the world that is!)

Mark - do you happen to know who was the piano man just before you on the Triumph??? He was there through the spring and into June???? It wasn't Duane was it - we seem to remember his name beginning with a D?????

In April DAMIAN was on the Triumph......Is that who you are thinking of??

just sailed last week. his name is barry...you may love him..it just wasnt for me..there is so much to do on that ship..i looked in there a few nights and saw the exact same crowd.

See what I mean....I LOVED Barry! We had a great time in there! Yes...many of the same people stopped by each night but we still managed to have fun :)

Has anybody seen Scotee lately? He was a riot, had us in there every night on Glory a few years ago. He might in fact be the offensive guy everybody mentions; the songs after 1AM could make that huge, mean looking dude with the mustache on Orange County Choppers blush.

hee hee! Sounds like fun to me!!

Archived