Fort Lauderdale Hotels

Mokescaps

The hotel we can recommend with direct beach access near the port, is Marriott Beach & Harbour. Hotel has rooms with both sea and cruise port views. We prefer sea. Transfer by a taxi to the port.

I would look for a flat rate shuttle service to the port. With a cab, the meter's running while you are stuck in the line of vehicles trying to get to the passenger drop-off. It's not as big a deal when leaving the cruise terminal.

Book hotel as early as you can. Rates near the port or on the beach get real pricey during winter months, but booking well in advance helps.

Curious, how are you going to get your wife to pack for a cruise. I know my wife brings more dressy clothes than she does for a dedicated beach trip. In my experience, some surprises aren't as pleasant as the hubby intends them to be!

In fact they are a small percentage of our visitors even though Fort Lauderdale is the busiest cruise ship port in the world.

Europeans think nothing of booking the Riverside Hotel in February for 21 days at $400 a night.

Cruisers spend much less money than most of our tourists. I was speaking to someone from the CVB (http://www.Sunny.org) and they said cruisers spend about 25% of what other tourists spend.

It was a shocking figure.

I got the riverside on priceline for 150 a night April 8 to 10

It shouldn't be surprising that cruisers spend less in FLL or MIA. Many have already invested $700-800 a night for their cruise. Last year, instead of a cruise, we rented a beach house for a week over by Naples, FL then spent a week in a suite at a Marriott Resort and I guess we "spent like Europeans". I don't think Americans are cheap, as one of the posters seem to insinuate. We ended up spending about the same per day as our Neptune Suites run aboard HAL.

Just booked the Best Western Plus on Dania Beach for January at 136.00 plus tax. They have an airport shuttle and breakfast buffet. Stayed at the one in Miami near the airport last year before a cruise and was very pleased. Did pay more for the hotel in Miami.