Diamond Princess 9/17-9/24

JRae

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give you a quick review of our trip to Alaska. Of course Alaska was amazing, and seeing how the season in pretty much over. I thought I would keep my review more specifically with the Diamond.

Embarkation was very easy, althugh we were platinum, I did not see any difference in treatment. No worries, we got there at about 11:15 and were in our room VS D738 by 12:05 and off to lunch.

We did notice that the bathroom was not cleaned very well, I brought it to the attention of our romm steward Joselito and the room was spotless the rest of the week.

As far as the new suite amenities, we did have a full bar and fridge was stocked free for the first time. Bed was very hard, but we had the egg crate by the end of the first day. Still found the bed to not be great. No pillow menu or upgrade mattress. My back would have LOVED that mattress. There was a DVD player in the room, but no mention of a library. The in room TV and movies were fine with us. Breakfast we had in our room everyday and we just wrote what we wanted and once on an early morning, I didn't get a full omelette and room service was very apologetic. I did find however, that when I wanted to order room service in the evening, that they had to put me on hold etc, the first few times, and seemed to verify wheteher I could order off the dining room menu. It was very difficult to get a menu in my room. So I got smart and would pick up a menu in one of the dining rooms after 5.....By Tuesday they had me figured out and were always very courteous and PROMPT!!!!!

Internet service was spotty and is not available in port, we had no problem with the charges being credited on our final folio

We also found the horizon court to be very good. Always a choice that was delicious. It could get crowded, but such is life on a ship in Alaska!!!! sigh!!!!

We had no problem with either the coffee or tea and there were sugar substitutes available.

The best idea was the extension cord and the over the door shoe hanger which was like a pantry with all of our STUFF in it, instead of all over the room.

As I reported before, I do think the Diamond is having some problems.....I told my SO that I read that it was a damaged propeller, and we had quite a vibration in our room. He felt that it was more than a propeller, but what do we know. The Oosterdam passed us about 2 hours out of Seattle and we left first. They did adjust the itinerary here and there so that we arrived in ports on time except for Juneau, we were 1 1/2 hours late. No big deal, just reporting.

We did Orca Enterprises in Juneau and Island Wings in Ketckikan....both were as good or better than I expected and really like the personal service both provided....Larry was great and Michelle was just great. My SO thought she was just dreamy =0).

Disembarkation was AWESOME, we did express and left our room at 7:37 and were in a cab by 8:05. We stayed at the Edgewater, both coming and going and just loved the hotel. Great service and the waterfront rooms were to die for. Around 10AM we walked down to Pike Street market and there were still tons of people getting off the Mercury, Oosterdam and Diamond. We felt so lucky that we just walked right off over two hours earlier!!!!! =)

I am happy to answer any questions

Wish I were there still

JR

..... I did find however, that when I wanted to order room service in the evening, that they had to put me on hold etc, the first few times, and seemed to verify wheteher I could order off the dining room menu. It was very difficult to get a menu in my room. So I got smart and would pick up a menu in one of the dining rooms after 5.....By Tuesday they had me figured out and were always very courteous and PROMPT!!!!!

So you were able to order room service off the regular dinner menu?

We were able to do that last August on the Diamond too, but wasn't able to do so this past January on the Star.

Archived