Fantasy 10/6/15 any info?

NCdave

We are supposed to sail tomorrow on Fantasy out of Charleston, but are seeing a lot of road closures in Charleston harbor area. Does anyone have any info on this situation? Really don't want to travel to Charleston in the AM if port is closed. Thanks for any info.

Fantasy will be back in port whether the roads are closed or not. She has passengers to debark (does Charleston have Duckboats?)... And a new load to board. Provisioning might be a problem...EM

Fantasy in Nassau last night

Fan3_zpsyrnlip4h.jpg

Our local Charleston news is reporting that "most" of the closed roads downtown are reopen...BUT, I would still check with SCDOT and also ask about getting through Columbia, they also got hit very hard.... we have family that took a long weekend in NC that could not get back home yesterday due to road closures in that area.

Fantasy will be back in port whether the roads are closed or not. She has passengers to debark (does Charleston have Duckboats?)... And a new load to board. Provisioning might be a problem...EM

Fantasy in Nassau last night

Fan3_zpsyrnlip4h.jpg

If the roads are closed where will the passengers go? Will they just sleep in car until roads open? If cars flooded it will really be a mess.

Our local Charleston news is reporting that "most" of the closed roads downtown are reopen...BUT, I would still check with SCDOT and also ask about getting through Columbia, they also got hit very hard.... we have family that took a long weekend in NC that could not get back home yesterday due to road closures in that area.

Thanks, this is the only info I have been able to get from anyone. Carnival says they will have update later today.

I'm on the Fantasy now. I checked with guest services and they say the port is fine. Not sure if we'll be able to leave the port.....

Nassau was beautiful. The water was not as clear as usual bc of the hurricane, but they had weathered the storm well. We did the Balmoral dolphin encounter and the island was lovely.

Instead of Freeport, they took us to Key West. It was fabulous.

I was in North Charleston yesterday and drove back to Asheville going through Columbia. While i am sure there are some areas where some homes and businesses are under water i never really saw anything bad. The drive from Charleston on 26 to Asheville on 26 was a piece of cake. Strange seeing all of these places shut down in the evening.

most of the damage and flooded homes are off the beaten path and in neighborhoods, so you could be driving all around devastated areas and not even know it. A number of roads have collapsed, bridges have collapsed and dams have given away. There were concerns with some of the interstates because the rising waters could damage the supports and cause the roads to collapse. I think most of the interstates are now open, I know I-26 from Charleston all the way to the NC border opened late today. Parts of I-95 still closed. http://www.scdot.gov has up to date closures.

Be safe and enjoy your cruise! :)

debbie

Thanks so much for this! We were really anxious about getting home bc all the news showed was the worst of everything. It was really helpful to hear from a real person navigating the same route we needed.

We made the mistake of stopping in Columbia for a rest room break. Oops! No water, no rest room.

I was in North Charleston yesterday and drove back to Asheville going through Columbia. While i am sure there are some areas where some homes and businesses are under water i never really saw anything bad. The drive from Charleston on 26 to Asheville on 26 was a piece of cake. Strange seeing all of these places shut down in the evening.