Sunshine Report: Sep 27th, 5 night Bahamas with pics (HMC, Nassau, Freeport)

CruzinScotty

Some entrees and dessert.

Roast Turkey:

DSC_1109_zpsowbcx3vz.jpg

Filet Mignon:

DSC_1110_zpsqqqbopwk.jpg

The dessert menu:

DSC_1111_zpselhrq4j5.jpg

Warm Chocolate Melting Cake:

DSC_1111a_zpsxncddxoc.jpg

Chocolate, Raspberry and Vanilla Cream cake:

DSC_1112_zps9rmcoga4.jpg

The cheese platter:

DSC_1113_zpswotgiixl.jpg

Gosh, this looks good. I really need to try this on my next cruise.

Next, our evening out.

More Comedy tonight

Because we are eating a few minutes earlier; we decided to try the back door of Limelight Lounge again. The doors were still open for the first Family Friendly show. By the 2nd night of comedy, word had definitely gotten out. The first night, the show had started, but some of us got seats and the others could stand where you could see the comedian.

Tonight, we all got seats. But a few of us ended up in the section where you see the comedian on TV, including myself. I said I’d never sit in this area, but I did. We enjoyed this comedian, Allyn Ball. I will admit it was better than I thought. You don’t “see” the comedian, but you get the real audience reaction. This did help.

After the first show, DW and I head off on our own. We go up to the Fun shops to look around.

Sunshine Perception: The Liquid Lounge is way too small since it is only two floors now. You have to get there 30 minutes early to get a decent seat.

What I saw: this will take a while. LOL

First of all, I’m used to getting to the main shows 30 minutes early on ALL of the ships I’ve been on. Usually, there is Bingo or something going on ahead of time that prompts you to be there early.

The evening show, VIP Studio, started at 9:30, but the “pre-show” started at 8:30. We were up on Deck 5. That entrance had people lined up on both sides at 8:30. But, by the time we left at 8:45, they had not opened the doors. There was no pre-show. I wasn’t sure what was going on.

I went back to the cabin with DW.

By myself now, I decided to head back to the show at 9:00. Surely, there would be a single seat “somewhere” in the theater.

15 minutes before show time, after the people in line were allowed in – the place was only 40% full! When the show started it was 50% full and 75% full by the end of the show.

Maybe it’s because people have complained in the past about the Playlist Productions? Maybe there are so many things do to on the ship? Maybe after seeing the show once, people don’t want to see it again. Maybe it’s a combination of all of them? But, my experience is that if you want to see the show – this Theater was NOT too small.

Next: so – how was the show?

Playlist Production: VIP Studio

I’ve read a lot of trip reports. One thing I’ve seen very little written about is the Main Theater shows. This is for the older shows as well as the new Playlist Productions.

So, here it goes:

Carnival Perception – directly from Cruise Critic: A large percentage of people do not like the new shows. They don’t like the loss of the live band. They think it is just “lights and lasers”. They don’t like anything about it.

My perception is very different. Remember, I’ve been cruising a long time. I remember the big production shows with the even larger bands.

But, time changes. Technology changes.

I thought I would miss the live band. I like live bands, I enjoyed listening to them some in other parts of the ship.

But, these new shows are completely different. They are more techno.

For this particular show, if you like Disco music, then you would probably like it, too.

One thing I really liked about the shows was the singers. Instead of one male and female singer and 6 to 8 dancers; you have four male and female singers who also dance. Eight people are going to have a larger repertoire of songs they can sing than two – plain and simple.

The layout for this show may be different than other ships – because of the dance floor. The show comes out into the audience a LOT of the time. I can see them going into the aisle of other ships; but it wouldn’t have the same effect.

There was music by Donna Summers, KC and the Sunshine Band and of course, a reprise of YMCA. The show not only went onto the dance floor (there were two raised platforms); it INCLUDED audience members. They ended up with four guys on stage during YMCA and put the hats on them (cowboy, policeman, etc.).

There are a lot of lights and lasers. The LCD screen behind the stage was great. It grooved with the music and at times, the graphic was of the real Studio 54, back in the day.

I really enjoyed it.

I then headed to the room to find our latest friend:

DSC_1114d_zpsqciwukl9.jpg

And, an almost full moon:

DSC_1117_zpsh8bmbbym.jpg

Coming soon: a rude awakening in the morning…..

Edited by CruzinScotty

I was up early again. I heard a nasty rumor last evening and turned to a “real” TV station for the first time since leaving port. Here’s what I saw:

DSC_1118_zpsb6suakyi.jpg

Hey, that system I saw in Cocoa Beach wasn’t supposed to form and definitely not head towards the Bahamas. Yet, there it is. In the picture above, Providence Island (where Nassau is), is surrounded by a pink box below the sleeve of the meteorologist. Yikes!

HMC is at the edge of the area completely in pink. We were there yesterday. Double Yikes!

Will Joaquin affect us today or the rest of the trip?

Time will tell……..

Next: The Motion of the Ocean

Edited by CruzinScotty

Sunshine Perception: This ship has more motion than other ships. It’s really bad.

This is another one that has no easy answer.

I guess my short answer would be it depends on the ships you’ve been on in the past. This ship was built in 1996. It’s stabilizers are from that era. On the newer, bigger Conquest and Dream classes; they have more modern stabilizers. If you’ve only cruised on those classes, you will probably notice a difference.

Yes, I did feel the motion more than recent cruises. But, I didn’t find it horrible. I didn’t feel more motion than I did on the Paradise or other smaller ships.

We did find that dinner in the very aft of the ship felt more motion than usual. That may be the location, we’re used to eating mid-ship.

I like the new map screens they are using. It is really useful in this picture to explain where we’ve been:

DSC_1126_zps3sr0sb5d.jpg

I mentioned many times and showed pictures during our sea day of just how calm the seas were. Above, you can see Grand Bahama Island and Abaco. Our route had taken us through the light and medium blue colors of the ocean.

Then, we past Abaco, and hit deep water at the same time – the darker blue water. We were in this area thru HMC and almost back to Nassau.

You could definitely feel the motion more when we were in deeper water. But……now that we know Joaquin has formed – how much of the motion was because of rougher seas due to its formation fairly close to us? Abaco Island was protecting us from any storm motion until we were south of it. We’ll never know for sure…..

Time for my morning walk.

Edited by CruzinScotty

Here is the entrance to the Cloud 9 Spa:

DSC_1127_zpsqwppnkrl.jpg

On the Sunshine, the sauna’s are in each locker room. Here is the men’s sauna:

DSC_1128_zpswkozzrdd.jpg

Unfortunately, it was down for repairs on our cruise.

Here a picture of the Gym:

DSC_1130_zps3w19r1su.jpg

The Serenity pool looks a little empty and no waterfall:

DSC_1132_zpsjhokhvxz.jpg

Next, an area of the Sunshine I had heard was NOT redone.

During the rehab, the elevators DID get a nice beachy make over:

DSC_1133_zpsosecnpig.jpg

DSC_1134_zpswvshjszb.jpg

I REALLY love how the door is a mirror. It makes a crowded elevator feel much less so.

But, the area I heard that had not been done during the Sunshine transformation: the stairwells:

DSC_1135_zpsezlkpe4f.jpg

You could almost convince me that the copper could blend in using a comparison to copper roofs. But, the lion heads on the bannister definitely give it away. LOL

Next: Arriving in Nassau

Today, I’m going with things I’ve never had before.

Here’s a picture of some breakfast items in the Havana Bar:

DSC_0929_zpssdlkmxy6.jpg

In keeping with the Latin theme, I head to the Blue Iguana Mexican Cantina. They make:

DSC_1189_zpszxgulo6o.jpg

Here are some of the items on this side:

DSC_1189b_zpsllo62pgn.jpg

DSC_1189d_zpsg8vndpgy.jpg

And, they also have items for you to add yourself:

DSC_1189c_zpszxqbszt6.jpg

I love the breakfast burritos, time for something new.

They also make:

DSC_1189a_zpsyifzv4oe.jpg

Time for another CC member tip from: Jamman54. He is another person that does FANTASTIC reviews. I’ve read most of them. Jamman54 likes to go to the Sea Day Brunch and often orders Huevos Rancheros. He likes to point out that these are served at the Blue Iguana as well.

So, I decided to try them from here today. (I have also had them at the Sea Day Brunch.)

Next, let’s see how it turned out.

Webster’s Dictionary definition of HUEVOS RANCHEROS:

fried or poached eggs served on a tortilla and topped with a usually tomato-based sauce

Here is my breakfast:

DSC_1189h_zpsx9qrd6no.jpg

I have my usual banana bread. From the Havana Bar, I have the ham, potato and plantain frittata and the guava and cream cheese turnover. From the Cantina, I have the Arepas and Huevos Rancheros. But – where’s the eggs? LOL

I don’t know if you have to ask for them or not; but they didn’t serve it with them. I actually preferred it this way.

Everything today was WONDERFUL.

I had time to take a few more pics while waiting for everyone to get ready to get off the ship.

DSC_1184_zpsjjczs7qn.jpg

You can see the sky is clearing up and also the beautiful water.

DSC_1193_zpslhopz6uj.jpg

DSC_1194_zpscfmqllgs.jpg

Time to gather the group to head here:

266318f4-4834-45e1-b6e9-5004fe625aff_zpsdvnu1s3c.jpg

Coming soon: Nassau

So glad we are finally to Nassau!! LOL I started reading this report because of your ports. We sail in 24 days and our ports include Nassau and Freeport.

However, that being said....I LOVE YOUR REPORT!! I love all the pictures and the way you are describing things. I'm not even sailing on the Sunshine and I now I want to lol. Keep it coming. Can't wait to read more!

So glad we are finally to Nassau!! LOL I started reading this report because of your ports. We sail in 24 days and our ports include Nassau and Freeport.

However, that being said....I LOVE YOUR REPORT!! I love all the pictures and the way you are describing things. I'm not even sailing on the Sunshine and I now I want to lol. Keep it coming. Can't wait to read more!

Thanks so much for the kind comments.

We didn't do an excursion in either port. But, you will see some of the immediate area in Nassau and the shopping area off the ship in Freeport.

Also, I do have a little something special planned for my review of Nassau.

Stay tuned. :D

Edited by CruzinScotty

So, to get to the Comedy Club, we had to go up to Deck 5. Then, you head to the middle elevator/stairwell and go back down to Deck 4. Next, we had to back track because the room really is that small.

Actually there's an easier way (in case anyone reading this sails on the Sunshine).

Go outside (double metal doors just outside the Limelight exit), turn left, walk along the deck, past the first door (which would open inside the club and bump someone's chair). Go back in at the next door--and you're right outside the Limelight entrance.

This route is also useful for getting from front to back/back to front of deck 4. Usually you can just cut through the Limelight (if a show isn't in progress), to get to the Liquid Lounge (or to steakhouse or sushi). But if the Limelight exit door is closed, you can go around, using the route above.

Edited by kay1864

Actually there's an easier way (in case anyone reading this sails on the Sunshine).

Go outside (double metal doors just outside the Limelight exit), turn left, walk along the deck, past the first door (which would open inside the club and bump someone's chair). Go back in at the next door--and you're right outside the Limelight entrance.

This route is also useful for getting from front to back/back to front of deck 4. Usually you can just cut through the Limelight (if a show isn't in progress), to get to the Liquid Lounge (or to steakhouse or sushi). But if the Limelight exit door is closed, you can go around, using the route above.

Thanks for the info. When we got out of one of the shows, that is the direction they were sending people. We were heading up to Deck 5 anyways. But, it sounded like the crew made it clear this was an "exception" and people should not be out on this deck under normal circumstances.

Glad to know that's not the case.

So, after we head outside of the gate, there is a barrage of locals trying to sell city tours and carriage rides.

I’ve been to Nassau MANY times, but the last trip was in 2006. I’m used to people bugging you about hair braiding and know how crazy the Straw Market can be.

But, I have never been as harassed as we were this morning. You would tell one person we were just walking today. They wouldn’t take NO for an answer. They kept talking about this tour or that tour or going to Atlantis.

When you kept walking – TWO feet away is another guy – who JUST heard you say NO. He starts all over again.

I’ve always enjoyed my trips to Nassau. I thought it got a bad rap on the CC boards. Now, I have a better understanding.

We finally head over to Rawson Square, for some peace and quiet and shade:

DSC_1217_zpsozlu4x3u.jpg

After relaxing for a minute, we decide to walk down Bay Street. Here we could walk and shop as we pleased.

I love the police uniforms:

DSC_1220_zps2cpre6c5.jpg

And the tropical colors:

DSC_1222_zpsjz6tymrw.jpg

So, about the Carnival shopping brochures…..

I think most past cruisers know that the places advertised on the cruise ships are pretty much a rip off. We knew better; but we went in one anyways. This one was Columbian Emeralds. The brochure had a jewelry set in three different options. When we walked in, the guy said, “we’re out of them”. Not one color, but all of them. He expected we would be sucked in to shop for other items. Well, it was hot outside. But, 30 seconds of air conditioning was enough to say – thanks but no thanks. LOL

We continued walking. The Bahamian flag was out in full force:

DSC_1224_zps8akjilzc.jpg

It looks like the horse was smiling just for us:

DSC_1226_zpsnisy5p2e.jpg

General shopping:

DSC_1229_zps4naezqpi.jpg

We made it to Frederick St. and turned back towards the water.

Here, on Woodes Rogers Walk, the harassing vendors started picking up:

DSC_1233_zpszgihy7ac.jpg

Though it wasn’t as bad heading back to the ship.

A local Mural:

DSC_1236_zpsk4f1mut4.jpg

We stopped in Nassau this pat summer. I hadn't been there in about 6 years. We were a large group and just completely overwhelmed by the vendors. It was too much and just a turnoff. We did do a carriage ride and just went right back to the ship. It was very crowded with a few ships in port and the natives selling everything was just way too much. And like you said. They just couldn't understand NO

A few shots heading back to the ship.

Back, safe and quiet, inside the gated area:

DSC_1237_zpsy2osgjkv.jpg

Atlantis:

DSC_1238_zps6frawvmn.jpg

DSC_1247_zps6lftmz2p.jpg

DSC_1251_zpsbtweqc9p.jpg

DW decided to get this pic heading back to the ship; it was too busy when we got off:

DSC_1251d_zpscj5xtvau.jpg

We had decided ahead of time not do to any excursions in Nassau or Freeport. We just wanted to get off the ship for a bit. Mission accomplished.

Back in a bit for lunch. And a little more Nassau to come. :)

So, many people say they don’t even get off the ship in Nassau anymore. Not sure where people were; but it wasn’t here:

DSC_1262_zps9v29ah18.jpg

I decided to try something new for lunch, Cucina del Capitano. I didn’t get a picture, but you fill out a form that has 4 types of pasta, 4 types of sauce, and many other goodies you can select. Your meal is then prepared fresh. You get a pager, it takes a few minutes.

While waiting, for the first time this cruise; I decided to look at the lunch buffet options. I only ordered a ½ portion of the pasta; did anything look good?

Here’s my lunch:

DSC_1265_zpsehuzbsyw.jpg

My pasta is penne with white clam sauce, grilled shrimp, grilled onions and mushrooms. YUM.

From the buffet, I added a small portion of veal parmigiana. With no Fish and Chips on this ship, I was thrilled to see my favorite shrimp and calamari fritters today.

Here are my dessert choices today:

DSC_1266_zpsxel1xj04.jpg

My favorite – pineapple upside down cake. Plus Sticky Toffee Brioche, a chocolate chip cookie and a Red Velvet Cupcake.

Ummm, it looks like we’re getting a rain band from Joaquin?

DSC_1268_zpshpgvvdey.jpg

It passed quickly. DW had bought a couple t-shirts and was given the wrong size on one of them. This was in the gated area, so we went back to change it out. You can see the rain has cleared up nicely.

DSC_1270_zpsovlrklwb.jpg

A little Bahamian vibe:

DSC_1272_zps37wcybb5.jpg

DW decided it was time for the Enchantment of the Seas to leave and she was ready to help!

DSC_1277_zpsw3xaaxhj.jpg

They didn’t listen and didn’t leave until after we did.

We went back to the cabin to relax.

Here comes another rain band:

DSC_1286_zpsmhxoextn.jpg

You can see the wind on the trees:

DSC_1287_zpsxbn9yf4o.jpg

I decided to go for a little walk to work of that wonderful lunch.

The rain has gone, but you can see how wet it is. People were on the Ropes Course:

DSC_1301_zpsfdy0qbtg.jpg

DSC_1291_zpsm01qbi8y.jpg

And, while touring, I found this next to one cabin door:

DSC_1304_zpstihcvore.jpg

If you’ll note: this couple has sailed on many classes of Carnival Ships. They liked the Sunshine enough to come back. In fact, they are on a back-to-back.

I went back to the cabin for a short nap and to get cleaned up before Sail Away and dinner.

Next up: a blast from the past!

Before we leave Nassau, I thought I’d do something I did in another report – a few pictures from the past. We didn’t leave the main tourist area today; let’s see what I did on a prior visit.

DW and I were last here in February of 2006 on the Celebration. On this trip, we took a cab to Ardastra Gardens.

I looked on their website to make sure they are still there and have the same focus on birds they've always had.

Let’s take a look back in time.

They have an area to feed the Lory Parrots:

Scan0008_zpsyxzi6xio.jpg

Scan0007_zps95h7bjqx.jpg

Scan0009_zpswpxego9g.jpg

While walking around, we were REALLY surprised that DW was able to get close enough for me to get this pic:

Scan0010_zpski73s602.jpg

Ardastra Gardens is famous for their “Marching Flamingoes” show. DW was lucky enough to be chosen to go in with the flamingoes:

Scan0011_zpsrfrxmgbw.jpg

Scan0012_zps6pbx7hz3.jpg

Ardastra Gardens is not very big. But, sometimes in life; it’s the little things (and places) that surprise you the most. We had the BEST time here.

OK, back to 2015 and Sail Away.

Sail Away: Nassau

Sail Away was during the time that we would have someone in line, while the rest of us lounged, waiting to get our “ticket to dine”.

So, considering these are taken from a cell phone through dirty glass on Deck 5; here are a few pictures that came out decent during Sail Away.

DSC_1310_zpsynq02rt8.jpg

I think this one came out pretty good: seagulls, the jetty, Atlantis, the Lighthouse and the cruise ships:

DSC_1316_zpswdz1qryz.jpg

DSC_1317_zpslbzkvrmg.jpg

DSC_1324_zpsusroz6rf.jpg

Soon: Bookin’ it out of Nassau!