Golfing in Bermuda

cruzin' peach

We are bringing our own clubs aboard the cruise ship (Horizon) next week. What is the best way to transport them to the golf courses? Are they allowed on buses or must we taxi to the courses? Does anyone know approximate taxi fares/times from Hamilton to Port Royal or Southampton golf courses? Also, is St. Georges golf course open? 9 holes or 18 holes? Any info is appreciated!!

I've cut this from an old post of mine back in February:

Here are the public golf courses in Bermuda. This info is out of the phone book so fees may not be 100% accurate for when you're here but it will definately give you an idea:

You can book a start time for most courses by calling 234-GOLF, alternative phone numbers are listed for each:

Belmont Hills: 18-hole par 70 $100 weekday, $120 weekend, fee includes cart call:236-6400, email belmonthillsgolf@logic.bm

Ocean View: 9-hole par 35 $65 (for 18-hole, i.e. twice around the course) phone 295-9093, email oceanview@northrock.bm

Port Royal: 18-hole par 71 $132, fee includes cart call: 234-0974 email portroyal@northrock.bm

St. Georges: 18-hole par 62, $60 call 297-8353 email sggc@northrock.bm

Fairmont Southapmton 18-hole par 54 $70, fee includes cart, call: 239-6952 email: brucesims@fairmont.com

Taxi from Hamilton to Southampton Princess will be around 25-30 minutes, to Port Royal around 35 minutes. Figure $30+ for SP, $35+ for Port Royal. I'd advise taking a taxi instead of the bus as the bus may not let you on with your clubs and you'd still have to walk from the bus stop to the course.

Geez...that $60 or $70 roundtrip taxi fare could almost pay for another round of golf! :confused: Would it make any sense to take the ferry over to Somerset and then take a cab from there to Port Royal? I don't suppose the ferry would make any difference getting to SP?

Taking the ferry would make for a shorter cab ride to Port Royal, but aside from the Dockyard ferry stop I'm not sure if there are taxis waiting at the other ones so you may need to call a cab once you get off the ferry.

For SP I have an idea that might help you out. The Princess hotels have a ferry that runs between the Hamilton Princess and the Southampton Princess but it is for guests only. Email or call them and find out if you can take it since you're playing golf at the course. If the hotel agrees (and they have a ferry that will get you to SP in time for your game) then all you need to do is get your clubs to the Hamilton Princess.

Cruisin,

We went on Zenith from NYC to Bermuda and did Port Royal from Hamilton, Bermuda. We had about 4 or 5 people going in the taxi. We paid roughly $5 per person. The taxi's in Bermuda are nothing more than vans. They charge a flat fee from one place to another regardless if you are the only one in the taxi or one of five people. If you are one of 5, you share the cost. Here's what made us chose the taxi. The bus will stop on the main road in front of the golf course property, but then you have a hill to climb up to the clubhouse. The taxi will deliver you at the clubhouse. Now, which one do you want to do? (good choice, I knew you'd say the taxi).

-Jo

PS--one note: Early tee times might require you to eat breakfast early. We were on Zenith and we placed our room service order on our tv the night before and it came promptly at 6:15 the next morning. The buffet didn't open until we were well on our way to the golf course.

Archived