corkage fee in MDR

mina518

Back in July, we (three couples) opened our wine bottles in our cabins, filled glasses, and brought the glasses and the opened bottles to dinner with us. We poured ourselves the entire time so incurred no corkage fees. We took our bottles back to our cabins after dinner. The ones we didn't finish, anyway. ;) Our cabin stewards kept an ice bucket full for us so our wine stayed cold.

A corkage fee is basically a convenience charge. Whether or not they store, open or touch the bottle has nothing to do with it. It is simply a fee for allowing outside wine to be brought into a dining facility.

A corkage fee is basically a convenience charge. Whether or not they store, open or touch the bottle has nothing to do with it. It is simply a fee for allowing outside wine to be brought into a dining facility.

We were not charged a corkage fee on any of our seven nights, even though we brought in bottles every night.

I've done both with my carry on wine. Filled glass in cabin and took along to dinner, and brought a bottle and corkscrew to the dining room and uncorked it under the table cloth. Did not get charged. One time they asked about the wine bottle , and I said this was left over from the other night. They just went about their business and did not charge the fee

We've never been charged a corkage fee but we always bring a wine that's listed on the Carnival site you can buy ahead, we also open ahead of time and then just place cork back in to walk to dining room. If anyone looks at you we just say hope it's ok we brought from room. Never been a problem so far.

Also we normally bring some of the pricier ones. Last year we brought 1 that was over $80 through carnival and we had gotten it at local grocery for under $25.

On my last cruise I was told by my waiter that they are ramping up enforcement of the corkage fee. He stated that if the Matre D' sees a bottle of wine on the table he will check to make sure the corkage fee was charged. If you really want to avoid the fee, download the Carnival wine list and bring onboard one of the wines from their list. That way the waitstaff can claim you obtained the bottle on board. That was straight from the waiter's mouth.

Just had this conversation this week with the fun shop CSR on the phone, I had called regarding the "cruising the vineyards deal" to make sure we can get the bottles delivered to cabin or bring the issued voucher to get a bottle in the MDR. Yes, room service can bring up or we can order in MDR, no corkage fee for those bottles BUT if WE bring an unopened bottle into the MDR there will be a corkage fee added.

So, just bring your cork screw with you and open in cabin then bring bottle to dinner already opened (we typically pour a glass and bring it with us in our own big wine glasses).

Both excellent pieces of information. Thank you very much!!!