ms Prinsendam November 24, 2015 Amazon Voyager

SonarSonarSonar

Reposting as a New Thread to cast a wider net of cruisers suggestions.

OK all, Panic Mode. lol

Just booked the trip and so many things to do between now and November 24.

Visas: Drive to Austin next week from San Antonio so they can prep everything to get our visas (our passports are current).

Travel Med Clinic Next Week to do the Vaccination for Yellow Fever: I think they first take medical history then decide whether it's advisable to take them

We aren't that old but do need some suggestions as Jack occasionally uses a wheelchair so many tours may not be for us. If there is transport from the dock nearby then no problem because he can use a cane or walker.

We would like some suggestions to take a boat into a side river/tributary to see the real jungle or are some jungle views visible from the ship.

Any other shore excursion suggestions would be appreciated. Not really into shopping, but point us to some good food and we have no problem.and

Thanks again for any suggestions.

You will love the Amazon. I'm not sure of your itinerary.

Regarding the visa, is Austin your assigned Brazilian consulate location? I'm not sure what you meant by a prep visit. Assemble your documents exactly or they will turn you away.

We used an online intermediary, CIBT, to get our visas without traveling. There is a step by step instruction on what to send and do. We had our visas within two weeks.

The travel medicine visit and yellow fever shots were easy, the only pain is to the wallet. They will discuss malaria meds, most people do not take them. We only met one couple taking the meds. Our shipboard expert was emphatic that malaria meds are not needed unless you are going deep into primal forest. Tourists never get that far.

By all means get off the cruise ship and into smaller boats and villages to see more, depending on mobility issues. Some of the ports are tender operations into very poor villages and locals will take cruisers into tributaries, some of the boats are rickety.

We did private tours and some DIY, the only thing we booked through the cruise ship was the Booi Bumba show in Parintins, there is no other way to see it.

I'll bet your roll call has private tours set up, check into accessibility issues.

We were very cautious with food ashore, most of these areas have third world living conditions.

Thanks Sammiedawg:

We do have all our documents and info....Austin is a very convenient place to go for one of those private companies who put this stuff together for you. Houston is actually where the Consulate is located. By prep I meant they prepare all the paperwork for you, of course for a fee. But still less expensive than a trip to Houston and the hassle. lol

Thanks for all the other information....I posted this on roll call and should get helpful information. I always find that everyone helps each other around here.

Thank you for the encourage to get off the boat. We will. Jack is good with a cane so he and I are not deterred. Again, thanks.

2 what I consider 'must see' excursions in the Amazon are 1) the Bio Bomba show in Parentins which is only offered thru HAL. Truly beautifully amazing show and an fairly easy 1 or 2 block walk from the tender pier but a bit uphill and 2) the opera house in Manaus which rivals any European opera house but with more beautiful woods.

And the river dolphins are brightly pink so hopefully you will get lucky and they come out to play for you.

If you go to your roll call you will get more info.

When you go for your visa prep - make sure you ask if there is enough time for processing a regular application or if you need to do the expedited application, which of course costs a bit more.

You will love this cruise! Very different! And what I found is that the people of the Amazon are very gracious and nice. I've been twice and will be cruising it a third time on the Prinsendam's Grand Voyage this coming year. I've booked an evening performance at the Opera House in Manaus through HAL. I'm sure you can book it yourself if you're able to get to the box office, but I'm traveling solo. Whatever is being performed, I want to hear the acoustics and I want to be sure of getting a ticket. Don't miss the Boi Bumba performance in Parintins. It's delightful.

I looked up your ports.

Alter do Cho and Boca de Valeria will be tender ports for DIY. There is little infrastructure, there will be no ship tours unless something changed in two years. ( we were not on HAL when we sailed the Amazon). We almost had a private tour set up in Alter do Cho, our tour operator in Santarem was in the process of organizing a new port.

In Alter de Cho look for the locals with their own boats waiting at the tender dock and choose one. Look for one with a canopy. Take a ride deeper into the rivers. The town is a half mile walk from the dock, it was neat and tidy. The road we walked into town was paved I think and would accommodate a wheelchair.

Boca de Valeria is dirt poor, locals come in from the boonies whenever a cruise ship is there. Dozens of children meet every tender and jockey to be your guide. Other locals bring in exotic animals and dress in native costumes so you stop and take a picture with them for a dollar. Everyone carries American dollars to give to the natives, we quickly went through fifty one dollar bills and wished we had more. It is customary to donate school supplies to the one room school house. Our ship officers came ashore and donated pallets of supplies, toys, school supplies to the town elders. We were told not to take food but I wished I had taken a bag of candy, one little girl cried and cried as no one had candy. You will be humbled by the simple, impoverished lives the natives lead.

The walking paths were uneven and rocky.

Locals are waiting with boats to take you deeper into the river, our guy took us to his home. They are right next to the tender dock, with assistance they should be somewhat accessible.

Santarem is a docking port where tours revolve around getting onto a river boat and going deeper to see wildlife, meeting of the waters and native culture. Ours involved getting onto a second canoe type boat for a short ride to see Lilly pads but you could skip this part.

Manaus is a docking port, city and river tours to see the meeting of the waters are common. The Opera house is most interesting, check on accessibility.

Thanks for the additional information.

Updates:

Visas have been processed should be here in a week.

Yellow Fever, Typhoid taken from the Travel Clinic. Flu and pneumonia shots from Walgreens.

The biggest news is that I've contact Gero Tours (Manaus), highly recommended on the net (Travel Advisory/Lonely Planet).

We are doing a 2 day 1 night tour at their lodge deep in the jungle.

Anyone heard about this company....haven't really read anything bad about them, but just double checking.

Slowly ticking things of my list of things to do. :D

CasaMariposa:

Thanks for the Opera House suggestion but trying to get into the jungle overnight so no time left for much of anything else.

We do Opera often and not sure if they are doing actual Opera at that venue or not. However, We are going to the Met Opera (NYC) to see Turandot next week. Flying in for a quick 3 night stay with the opera and 1 B-way show and then back to Texas and get ready for the Prinsendam. But thank you for the suggestion.

CasaMariposa:

Thanks for the Opera House suggestion but trying to get into the jungle overnight so no time left for much of anything else.

We do Opera often and not sure if they are doing actual Opera at that venue or not. However, We are going to the Met Opera (NYC) to see Turandot next week. Flying in for a quick 3 night stay with the opera and 1 B-way show and then back to Texas and get ready for the Prinsendam. But thank you for the suggestion.

Hello fellow opera lover. I lived in NYC for years and went to the Met when I could and had season subscription to the NY City Opera. Wonderful times. I don't expect to hear an opera at the Opera House in Manaus, but having visited the magnificent and unexpected building twice, I am curious to hear the acoustics. You have booked a wonderful cruise, and I'll repeat it one day. Enjoy!