Shopping suggestions....

Vacation23

We are wanting to know where can we go safely to shop. We have reservations at LFK for the day, but would like to come back a little early to do some shopping. I am guessing when you get off the boat there are some shops that you walk through to get to the island. Is that the case? If so, is those items from the locals or is it all cruise line base items? Also, is there anything that Roatan is known for that we need to look for and purchase? Any recommendations/tips on shopping in Roatan would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you are on a Carnival cruise that docks at Mahogany Bay, there are many nice shops there. Wood items seem to be the thing to buy at Roatan. We bought a beautiful salad bowl set there. Also wood carved canes, decorative vases, etc.

If you dock at Coxen Hole, I think your choices are more limited. I haven't been at that dock, so I don't know.

In Coxen Hole, you'll find similar shops as in Mahogany Bay inside the cruise port gates. There is a main drag in the town that has different shops, like carved wooden items or pottery. And for the most part it's reasonably safe to walk around. Shop owners and local residents are usually friendly and many speak some English. A recent incident involving a cruise ship crewmember, not cruisers, in Coxen Hole was related to a robbery of the crew member's electronic device after using it inside or outside a local (not tourist-oriented) bar.