First timer, Sailing from TX, need a place to stay

mandy252

Hi, we are sailing from Texas and will be arriving two days prior to our sail date.

We have never been on a cruise before, nor been to Texas.

The port is called Bayport.

I'm looking for a hotel that will offer free shuttle from the Bush airport (IAH) to the hotel and return.

I think I will be asking Norwegian to handle my shuttles from the airport to the Port, if that's a wise move. I don't think they handle shuttles from the hotel to the port, unless it's a private car which would probably cost a lot of dough.

The hotel will need to have a restaurant, and maybe something nearby to walk to as I won't be renting a car.

Any advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, we are sailing from Texas and will be arriving two days prior to our sail date.

I'm looking for a hotel that will offer free shuttle from the Bush airport (IAH) to the hotel and return.

I think I will be asking Norwegian to handle my shuttles from the airport to the Port, if that's a wise move. I don't think they handle shuttles from the hotel to the port, unless it's a private car which would probably cost a lot of dough.

The hotel will need to have a restaurant, and maybe something nearby to walk to as I won't be renting a car.

You don't really want to spend two days out by the airport, do you? I would find something in Houston you want to do and find a hotel near that. Then just get an Uber from IAH to that hotel and from that hotel to the port.

Do you have kids? Do you want to see the space center? Cultural/downtown type stuff? Kemah boardwalk? One of the nature areas? What month are you going?

Edited by anonmom

We are going to be there Dec.3.

No, I have no children.

I really don't care to spend 1.5 days at the hotel, if I have to I will, but would rather not.

A car rental looks like it may be the way to go.

Will have to see if they have car rentals at the airport.

Btw, what's an Uber? lol

Ty!!

Edited by mandy252

For your itinerary, I would rent a car at Bush, then you would be free to stay anywhere, and see anything you want. You can then return the car to Bush the morning of your cruise, and catch a shuttle to the port.

The NCL shuttle from Bush or Hobby to Bayport is $50/person round trip. I don't know how much the other line's shuttles cost, but this is a decent deal compared to taxis and other shuttle providers.

I called Norwegian today.

They said they can put me up at the Marriott @ Bush Airport for the two

days and this will include a shuttle to the Port (which is about an hour away).

I will just have to pay to have the shuttle bring us back to the airport.

They said they will call me in the next two days and let me know if any rooms free up.

I was thinking, perhaps I can do this, and the first day, just chill at the hotel, and rent a car on the second day and return it at the end of the day.

We sail the Norwegian Jade on the 5th.

First time cruisers....a bit nervous, but excited too!

We are going to be there Dec.3.

No, I have no children.

I really don't care to spend 1.5 days at the hotel, if I have to I will, but would rather not.

A car rental looks like it may be the way to go.

Will have to see if they have car rentals at the airport.

Btw, what's an Uber? lol

Ty!!

Uber is an app that you can use to get a car and driver to pick you up. Like a taxi, but cheaper and easier because you don't have to talk to a dispatcher. You just enter your current location and your destination into the app and it gives you a fare quote and how soon they can pick you up (usually less than 5 minutes). The fare quote depends on traffic, of course, but I have checked IAH to Bayport cruise terminal various times and it always gives me a quote around $60-80.

We are on your same itinerary in January, and we have decided to stay at the IAH Marriott for convenience, since we get in late Friday evening. We are using the stay for breakfast rate, having a leisurely breakfast in the morning, then letting my daughter swim in the hotel pool for an hour or so, and taking an Uber to the port around 11:30.

If we were staying 2 nights, though, I would definitely spend Friday sightseeing. Go to Hotwire and put in your landing time plus one hour as your pickup time at IAH. Then put that same time as the drop off time on Friday at HOU. Then compare that price with a Saturday morning drop off at HOU. (Should be about $55 and $105).

Then find an HOU hotel with free shuttle. (Hotwire currently has one for $56/night, $140 total) Or, if you are keeping the car until Saturday, find a hotel in an area you like. Return the car to HOU Saturday morning and take an Uber to the port ($31-41).

Okay, sounds good.

I'm currently waiting for NCL to call me back. They said they can get me a deal for a couple nights including transfer (one way) to the port. I will have to pay an additional cost to get from the Port back to the Airport.

I honestly like the idea of staying at the Marriott at the airport, seems so much simpler.

Had I known how to fly into the Hobby airport, I would of chose that...but that's okay, it's all part of the learning process. :-)

Thank you for the help!