Wireless Question

BcIcemen

You can, just make sure you have turned off the cellular signal otherwise it will default to cellular. On our last cruise I used my IPad, which is WiFi only, to text using the ships WiFi. I never used it for shore based WiFi but don't see why it would be any different. I have also used it to FaceTime, but that was on Oasis of the Seas which just turned on their new WiFi system.

If on shore and using free wifi can I text for free? I will be in San Juan, St Thomas, Barbados, St Kitts and St Marteens. Thanks

San Juan and St. Thomas are US Teritories, so if you have a cell phone on a US carrier, you can use your cell phone just as you do at home for calling, texting, Internet.

In the other ports, Wifi will allow texting and Internet. You can also call on wifi if your carrier has Wifi calling rolled out

If on shore and using free wifi can I text for free? I will be in San Juan, St Thomas, Barbados, St Kitts and St Marteens. Thanks

I have been in all those ports, and I used my iPhone set in Airplane mode, with wifi switched back on, without any issues... If you switch Airplane mode off, then it will default to cellular data, and you will get big roaming data charges....

So short answer, "yes, you can do it, just be careful what signal you are using"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New phones will default to best available "source" when searching for a connection. Even if you think you are attaching to WiFi your phone may be attaching to a satellite feed (data) and you could end up with a huge bill from your service provider. Before cruising check that your phone does not default to "best available" or similar.

New phones will default to best available "source" when searching for a connection. Even if you think you are attaching to WiFi your phone may be attaching to a satellite feed (data) and you could end up with a huge bill from your service provider. Before cruising check that your phone does not default to "best available" or similar.

Not a phone guru, but I think this only happens if you still have cell service and/or data service on but have connected to wifi. If you turn on to airplane mode and then only turn on wifi, you only get wifi and the phone won't turn in cell or data. Any tech gurus out there who can confirm this?

Edited by E&B

Not a phone guru, but I think this only happens if you still have cell service and/or data service on but have connected to wifi. If you turn on to airplane mode and then only turn on wifi, you only get wifi and the phone won't turn in cell or data. Any tech gurus out there who can confirm this?

A quick google search "phones that choose data over wifi" will show countless examples of how this works. Since I have had my phone subscriber turn this off my phone no longer searches but my connections can sometimes be pretty iffy through WiFi. Sadly some phones do not give you the option since they are just looking for the best connection.

San Juan and St. Thomas are US Teritories, so if you have a cell phone on a US carrier, you can use your cell phone just as you do at home for calling, texting, Internet.

In the other ports, Wifi will allow texting and Internet. You can also call on wifi if your carrier has Wifi calling rolled out

My earlier post had a typo.

When in St Thomas and San Juan last week using Verizon, my phone went to roaming as we wandered around