T-Mobile Simple Choice

marybeach

Please explain what settings on an android to use on the ship. Does airplane mode allow texts to come through? I'll be fine checking email and Facebook in ports every other day, as I usually stopped at a coffee shop for an hour and used wifi. Now, I will have unlimited data. I do want to use my phone for pictures onboard. T-Mobile emailed me a link, but it doesn't tell me details. The guy I spoke with today said I'd get a text to tell me I'm within tower range on islands. Practical experience is a plus!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Please explain what settings on an android to use on the ship. Does airplane mode allow texts to come through? I'll be fine checking email and Facebook in ports every other day, as I usually stopped at a coffee shop for an hour and used wifi. Now, I will have unlimited data. I do want to use my phone for pictures onboard. T-Mobile emailed me a link, but it doesn't tell me details. The guy I spoke with today said I'd get a text to tell me I'm within tower range on islands. Practical experience is a plus!

You won't get any notifications on airplane mode, I used it (airplane mode) on Sea Days and at night. Most cruise terminals will have wifi. I suggest talking to TMobile (again use the online chat option) and make sure you are set up for international roaming... :):)

I have T-Mobile Simple Choice and recently spent a month on the Eurodam from Russia to New York and this is how it worked for my iphone and should be similar for your android. In the upper left corner of my home screen it generally says T-Mobile. As I travel, it changes to the carrier in the area and I generally receive a T-Mobile text telling what my coverage is. On the ship it read 'welcome to Cruise Ship' out of plan coverage. $0.50 for text and $5.99 per minute talk. They also text a free number to call for questions. Most countries are unlimited text and $0.20 a minute talk. I was in some places like Greenland where the prices jumped, but always received a text every time the carrier changed. For internet it is sometimes a much slower speed and you are sent a text asking if you want to speed it up for $15 a MB. Really out of the way places get you a text that says CAUTION and those tell you exactly what it costs and you have to text your OK so there are no misunderstandings.

No problem with camera unless you are messaging pictures. I kept the roaming off until I got the texts in each port and only kept it on constantly the last two days on the ship for a family problem and ended up with roaming fees from the cruise ship service for running some background programs for a grand total of 85 cents. T-Mobile made it almost impossible for me to have nasty surprises on my bill because they always kept me informed. Hope this helps!