Dining Room Attire on non formal nights?

parkerlisa

Hi All - FIRST cruise ever. I have a basic question about dinner attire. I understand the formal nights. Hubby will relucantly wear a sports jacket. On non formal nights - what is the norm in terms of attire in the Personal Choice dining rooms? Are long pants required? Collared shirts? What about a pair of kahki shorts, a collared shirt and canvas shoes. Essentially, he does not want to wear cutoffs and flipflops, but a nice outfit off the pages of eddie bauer ... but shorts? Would this be acceptable?

What about kids.....If they show up in khaki shorts a nice shirt and sandles....neat and tidy, would that be acceptable?

Sorry to ask such a basic question but we really need to gauge what type of clothes to pack.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;05;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Caribbean Princess - May 29, 2004!

General rule of thumb is no shorts in the dining room for dinner. I have seen young boys in nice khaki shorts and thought they looked fine, but that's your call. My husband wears dockers and a nice polo or button down shirt. How does your husband feel about Hawaiian prints? Mine adores them! LOL!

Basically, I'd say you may be able to fudge on the boys, but the hubby will need long pants in the dining rooms in the evenings. There are laundry facilities onboard, and he can wear the same slacks more than once, so don't feel you have to pack 5 pairs of long pants... if you know what I mean. My husband takes 1 pair khaki colored, one pair navy, one pair black and just changes the shirts. Canvas shoes with dockers would probably be fine. My husband wears his Top-Siders with his - is that the kind of shoes you mean?

No question is ever too basic for first time cruisers. We've all been there!

TinaLee

Sail Away on Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Parkerlisa:

Shorts are not allowed in the dinning room. A pair of kahki pants will be find with a collared shirt. I did not notice too many kids at our seating however those I did see where wearing pants. I hope this helps! You can always change after dinner. That is what I typically do.

Until 4/3 Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;4;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Caribbean Princess 4/3/04

Navigator of the Seas 8/03

Voyager of the Seas 6/01

You are on the right track with you selecton of clothing.

A lot of people will not wear a sport jacket, but I find one handy when the dining room might be cool. In Alaska, especially, I would want a jacket in case you want to go out on deck at night after dinner.

Eddie Bauer is upscale and very nice, along with Ralph Lauren, Tommy Bahama, Reyn Spooner, etc. Most men will opt for the dockers and golf shirt look. Dress slacks are purely optional on smart causual nights. Shorts are not permitted in the dining room.

You can also use the search feature of this site for disertations on dress. Some of it gets emotional due to the variety of opinions.

Dress code for formal nites are, women, long gown, cocktail dress, men, tux, suit. It applies to all dining rooms, traditional and Pc, and sabbatinis and sterling steakhouse. Casual in horizon court and caribe. There is also room service. I wish the search button worked. It would be so much easier for everyone to go to. This is addressed often. Lol icon_smile.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

I think also it is no t-shirts. Even if it is a nice one. Men should be in a collared shirt. Polo or button down are fine. My dh wore microfiber polo shirts and hawaiian print type button down shirts. On our last cruise a gentleman wearing t-shirts and shorts in the dining room was asked to leave and he came back shortly properly attired. My dh actually didn't mind dressing for dinner and we enjoyed that part of cruising!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2003;5;11;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Norway 5/11

Sabatini's dress follows the DR, and in general the room is a bit more formal on casual nights. I wore a sport coat ona casual night and so did at least 1/2 the men in the room.

As for kids, my son who is 7 wore khakis every night. Polo shirt on casual nights, button down white or blue shirt on formal night.

No shorts in DR, they will turn you back. As for formal nights, while tey will let you in wo a jacket you will stick out. I was suprised by how many men wore tuxes or dinner jackets on our August cruise. I expected to be in the minority, but it was close to 60 or 70 percent. If he really hates dressing up, try painted dessert (if still running) that night.

Just make it simple for the guy, a pair of dockers and 2 polo shirts (more if he's a messy eater icon_smile.gif ) will be sufficient for a 7 day cruise.

<font color="FF6600">

if there's a way to construe my post as non-argumentative, please do so.</font>

Cruise photos on my Home page <font color="990066">

Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>21, March 2004

So when is the next cruise?

Archived