CelebritySt John Self Explore Help with this

fedexretiree

I will be on the Celebrity Summit from 8:00am to 5:00pm and they offer an excursion called

St. John Self Explore ST03 it is 37.00 pp.

They say that it is a total of 6 1/2 hours and just provides you with transportation from the ship to St. Johns and return. They say that you will have 4 1/2 hours on the island to explore on your own. Actually the cost of the excursion isn't too bad. Also seems like it would be easier if they pick you up by the ship for this.

Here's my first question, has anyone taken this before and would you recommend doing this excursion instead of doing it all on your own by catching a cab to Red Hook ect?

Second question, if I take the ship excursion and they do cut the time on the island can I just come back on my own by the ferry and cab to the ship?

I want to spend as much time as I can on St.John and don't want any surprises when I get to St. John like Celebrity cutting the actual time on St.John.

Not many reviews about this but one did say that the time on the island had been reduced.

Please help.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this a few years ago and we loved it.

We picked it because it seemed much easier than dealing with the taxi and ferry situation. IIRC we just got off the ship and then onto a ferry a little ways down the dock.

It dropped us off in St. John and we took an open air bus/taxi to Trunk Bay.

We snorkled and enjoyed a beach day and then headed back to downtown where the St. John Brewery was and spent some time there before getting back on the ferry to go back to St. Thomas.

Celebrity didn't cut short our time on the island, and if they had, how would they notify us?

Or are you saying they reduced the time before the excursion left?

I guess if that had been the case we might have opted to DIY the trip to St. John but we didn't have to make that choice.

We will be in St. Thomas again in April and are considering doing this again or maybe actually staying in St. Thomas and seeing that island.