Confused!..Platinum's please chime in!

Lil2Angelic

All I can tell you is my experience and I sure hope that you don't have the same problems I had. I reached Diamond status on day 5 of an 8 day cruise on the Freedom in March 2013. My card and boarding documents all said Platinum. No problem. I wasn't really expecting Diamond status that cruise. We both got all our platinum benefits.

A few weeks later I received the luggage tags, passport case and letter for the free Steakhouse dinner in the mail, so I stupidly assumed I would get Diamond benefits on the next cruise, which was on the Magic in August of 2013. Everything was fine on the pier. My card said Diamond and I got priority boarding. My DH was still platinum because he has 5 fewer cruises than I had.

The first formal night we came back to the cabin expecting the gifts and chocolate covered strawberries. Nothing for either of us. I saw our steward in the hall and asked, but he said our names were not on the list and he showed it to me. I showed him our cards and he was dumbfounded and very embarrassed, which he should not have been since it was not his fault. He said he would talk to his supervisor and get us the gifts. We never got anything and also never saw the steward again. I think he hid when he saw us coming.

Our adult son and his family were in the next cabin and our son (Gold) received his invitation to the Past Guest Party. Neither my husband nor I received one.

I went down to Guest Services and inquired and they couldn't find either of us on any list, let alone Diamond or Platinum. They said they would have to investigate further and would send invitations to the cabin. Nothing ever arrived. We didn't go to the party.

I went back to Guest Services because I had ordered a birthday cake for my husband and it was not delivered on his birthday. The same guy waited on me again and he said he would check. He called the lady in Cherry on Top and she confirmed that I placed the order in plenty of time and that she sent the order to the kitchen. He called the kitchen and said that the waiter had picked it up, but for whatever reason he never served the cake. He arranged to have the cake delivered the next night. Of course it wasn't! They finally sent it to the room the next day and it was stale.

The guy at GS also said that he found out why we weren't getting our Platinum and Diamond benefits and promised that it was fixed.

I got a call from Cucina Capitana and they asked if I would like to make a reservation. They said they were calling because I was Diamond. I assumed things were fixed. Boy was I wrong!

Then on the last day we did not get the letter telling Platinum and Diamond guests where to meet for debarkation. We got the standard letter and #38 luggage tags. So, back to Guest Services. They verbally told me what time to be in the forward dining room and gave me some #1 luggage tags.

Around 4pm the Purser called to ask how I had enjoyed my inaugural Diamond cruise. Well, he picked the wrong time and the wrong person to ask that question. I launched on him and told him we had gotten nothing, nada, zip. He said we should have reported it to Guest Services. I launched on him again and gave him the name of the guy I had been dealing with all week. I said, "If you don't believe me ask him, he knows me by name now." He said he would get back to me.

He called back about 4:45pm and said the Captain would like to meet me for drinks at 5pm since I had not been invited to the Diamond event either. I said I was sorry, but I was babysitting my grandchildren while their parents were at the spa and to please tell the Captain Thanks, but I would not be able to accept his invitation. We had early dinner and I had to get the kids ready and get myself showered and dressed.

At dinner the hostess came over and asked if we liked red or white wine. Our son piped up white since we were having fish. The hostess came back when we were finished dinner with a bottle of white wine and said it was compliments of the Purser. We said thank you. Our waiter or assistant were nowhere to be found to open the bottle, so we just got up and left and left the bottle on the table. The entire trip left a bad taste in my mouth and our son thought it was hysterical because he got more benefits as a Gold by buying FTTF!

Our next cruise on the Breeze in March 2014 we got everything we were entitled to. We made friend with the purser at the Diamond event and he sent wine to our table that night and when we were double charged for something personally took care of it. The difference between GS on the two ships was like night and day. I hope to come across Will from South Africa on another cruise!

Oh My Gosh Deb! You have us both rolling over here in Vegas! Thank you for telling your story..I think..LOL! That's just crazy! Hopefully things will go smoothly for us. As I see people post on here all the time.."1st World Problems" I guess right! So happy to hear you finally got your true "Diamond" cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
you will be platinum when you board, your luggage tags should say it. if you can look at them and see if they say priority when you look at them, congrats.

Ok. We will turn Platinum on the second leg of our B2B next fall. Not knowing what I know now, I purchased FTTF. My luggage tags have the FTTF symbol and say PRIORITY. I would assume that, based upon what has been established here, that I can cancel the FTTF and still be considered PRIORITY. I have used FTTF before and never paid attention as to whether the PRIORITY was on the luggage tag as well. What do you think?

According to our cruise plans, we'll be Platinum on the LAST day of our cruise. I wonder if we'll still be considered as such when we board. :confused:

Yes, you will be considered Platinum when you board. Your luggage tags will say Priority. We turned platinum on the second to the last day of our cruise and we were platinum the whole cruise. You will be able to go to the platinum/Daimond area to check in.

Yes, you will be considered Platinum when you board. Your luggage tags will say Priority. We turned platinum on the second to the last day of our cruise and we were platinum the whole cruise. You will be able to go to the platinum/Daimond area to check in.

That's music to my ears. Thanks!