Locals? How is the flooding in Galveston

riseagain30

I agree that as of 9AM Houston time that there is no flooding and there has been near zero rain in the area. However, the storm was really not expected to really get going until this afternoon through Sunday night.

Texas has three storm issues that are all going to crash into each other over the next several hours. 1) A weak cold front that has caused all the flooding in north/northwest Texas that is slowly moving towards southeast Texas. 2) The original reason for concern today/tomorrow, Gulf deep tropical moisture moving in today. 3) The remnants of Hurricane Patrica that will arrive late today and tonight into Sunday. Funny, but the first two were well known to local forecasters at least a week ago; Patrica was a surprise to all.

Below is a link directly to the NWS's website for Galveston. If you look now (9AM Saturafay) you will see on the NWS radar that the rain is closing in rapidly.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=29.3013&lon=-94.7977#.ViuP8vmrRaR

I live in Houston, TX, as for as last night and currently right now (9:00 am) I haven't seen any rain at my house yet. The weather radar show heavy rain West of Houston and moving east toward Houston, it's going to hit Houston later on today.

riseagain30, since you are driving from OK, beside Houston and Galveston, you have a long way to drive down be aware of the weather and road condition on your long route, I have relatives who live in the Dallas area and they are saying it's been raining since last Thursday

This is a good local news weather forecast which cover the Houston/Galveston area. On the right handside of the web page there is a video of the weather forecast from the weather person, which he talks more about what's going on with the current weather

http://weather.click2houston.com/

Really, Channel 2??? ole Frank goes to DEFCON 1 when there is a small thunderstorm off the coast of Africa. I was always a fan of Tim Heller on ch13. He was much more clam and cool and didn't freak people out. (in my opinion :D

Just drove Harborside from Ferry Rd. to 45. Absolutely no water! The only moisture is from the humidity. All rain is to clear out tomorrow, more than likely in the morning. This from our local (Galveston) weatherman.

And I don't believe Frank freaks out. He is calm and sensible and has provided a wealth of information on weather for Galveston.

Everyone is blowing this out of proportion.

Just use common sense!

I made it riseagain. Hopefully it goes smooth for you tomorrow as well.

THX again to all the Galveston folks with all the updates and general info. It was much appreciated.

It is raining here now and I'm curious how they're going to do the muster drill but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

THX again to all the Galveston folks with all the updates and general info. It was much appreciated.

It is raining here now and I'm curious how they're going to do the muster drill but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Which cruise lines still make passengers go outside for the muster drill? I know that neither Celebrity or Princess have outdoor drills. Can't say that I missed them. If Carnival still does, then they will probably delay it until the next day. I think the cruise lines have 24 hours to conduct the drill (I may be remembering wrong).

Enjoy your cruise.

Rccl has had muster in and out. We stood outside during a January sleet storm in Galveston. Crew was in shorts; I was in fur!

Well they made us do it. But with the way the ship is built on the port side we didn't get wet not sure about the poor people on the starboard side. At least they didn't make us take a headcount the way HAL does.