Drink Packages

I'm booked on Anthem of The Seas next April, and for the first time, I'm contemplating spring for a drink package. (In the past, all I've done is a soda package.) But while I'm not typically a heavy drinker at all, I'm looking at a 2 week vacation, and thinking it might be nice to be able to drink what, when and how much I care to without thinking about the price. (And yes, if I buy a drink package, I know I'll be inclined to drink more to get my money's worth...I can live with that moral/ethical dilemma!).

So I have a question for those folks with experience in this: It seems pretty clear the "Select Package" is really a beer & wine by the glass package. No hard liquor. While I like beer primarily, I also want to have mixed drinks too, especially in the evenings (or perhaps fru-fru drinks around the pool). So my eye turns towards the "Premium" package, which, to quote Royal, " Pay one set price and enjoy nearly our entire selection of spirits, beers and wines, plus non-alcoholic beverages." The word "NEARLY" is what my question is really about. What, exactly, is excluded and/or, what I am missing by not going with the "Ultimate" package.

Just a caveat, I'm happy to hear about the differences in wine, but to be honest, neither my wife or I are wine snobs IN THE LEAST, and we will be happy with a cheap bottle or a pricey bottle and be blissfully ignorant. For us, it's a splurge when our bottle doesn't have a screwtop!

Thanks for the help.

The ultimate adds the following: bottles of sparkling water, fresh squeezed orange juice at breakfast, and specialty coffees. The alcoholic limits are the same for premium and ultimate--

Thanks, that's very helpful. I had not noticed that distinction.

So, I gather there are some restrictions on the alcohol with EITHER package, then. What are those (beyond the price of a glass of wine...I think I saw that can be no more than $12 or something)?

:):) When we were on our cruise 2 years ago, we accidently bought the Ultimate pkg vs the Premium one. I honestly don't know why I said Ultimate but I did and so glad I did:) We so enjoyed the Mimosas in the AM,the lattes in the afternoon(with or without a shot of something),able to try any new drink w/o consequence etc. Now we have purchased the Ult. Pkg. on every cruise since with no regrets:D

Just off Anthem this month and upgraded to premium from select pkg. I was worried that there would be restrictions on Martinis and the like but I was pleasantly surprised that there were none. And also that a lot of the drinks were quite strong as well. Same as you I am not bothered about wine. From what I could see there was only Top shelf Malt Whiskey not included.

Bottled water is also included.

Unless you want fancy coffees and fresh squeezed orange juice you would be fine going with the Premium and not the Ultimate. :)

Thanks, that's very helpful. I had not noticed that distinction.

So, I gather there are some restrictions on the alcohol with EITHER package, then. What are those (beyond the price of a glass of wine...I think I saw that can be no more than $12 or something)?

It is 20% off a bottle of wine on the UP, so best to drink by the glass.

Coffee on Royal Caribbean is poor, so the fact that all Starbucks coffee is included in UP is good.

:):) When we were on our cruise 2 years ago, we accidently bought the Ultimate pkg vs the Premium one. I honestly don't know why I said Ultimate but I did and so glad I did:) We so enjoyed the Mimosas in the AM,the lattes in the afternoon(with or without a shot of something),able to try any new drink w/o consequence etc. Now we have purchased the Ult. Pkg. on every cruise since with no regrets:D

Mimosas are not made with fresh squeezed juice. You can get them with the premium.

We like to drink fruity frozen cocktails during the day by the pool and have a few glasses of wine at night.

We get the premium package and it works well for us.

When we order wine we have had no problems finding decent wine that is less than the max amount allowed.

Just off Anthem this month and upgraded to premium from select pkg. I was worried that there would be restrictions on Martinis and the like but I was pleasantly surprised that there were none. And also that a lot of the drinks were quite strong as well. Same as you I am not bothered about wine. From what I could see there was only Top shelf Malt Whiskey not included.

Bottled water is also included.

Unless you want fancy coffees and fresh squeezed orange juice you would be fine going with the Premium and not the Ultimate. :)

Thanks for that info. I am NOT a coffee drinker, and while fresh juice is nice...it alone would not be worth the upgrade. It sounds like Premium may be the way to go for me.

We like to drink fruity frozen cocktails during the day by the pool and have a few glasses of wine at night.

We get the premium package and it works well for us.

When we order wine we have had no problems finding decent wine that is less than the max amount allowed.

You sound a lot like my wife and I (well, she likes the fruity drinks or even a Mudslide. I like cold beer.)

Anyone know if most of the beers at the Genuine Pub would be included in the Premium package?

It's not included if you buy it at Starbucks. Only the cafe coffee is included.

Sorry, denatravels, you are wrong. With UP Starbucks was included on Quantum of the seas two weeks ago. Maybe it is different in China and maybe all prices (including drink packages) in China for Royal Caribbean Cruises are more expensive.

As a general rule cruises out of China are the most expensive in the Royal Caribbean world and I guess this is true for all cruise lines.

The middle class of China have no idea about the true cost of things around the world, so get really taken to the cleaners when it comes to prices.

Saw on a U.S. news channel the other week that in 2015 the middle class of China (defined by yearly income) is now 110 million people, while the Middle Class of the USA is 90 million people. For the first time in history in 2014 Apple sold more iphones (all made in China) in China when in the USA.

Oh, the people of China (on Cruises) almost never drink (and most go to bed about 9-30pm) so all the bars on Quantum have been empty for the last 4 or 5 months.

Sorry, denatravels, you are wrong. With UP Starbucks was included on Quantum of the seas two weeks ago. Maybe it is different in China and maybe all prices (including drink packages) in China for Royal Caribbean Cruises are more expensive.

I'm not wrong--maybe I wasn't totally clear, though--there is NO Starbucks kiosk on quantum. Starbucks branded coffee is included at the cafe, exactly as I said. On ships with a Starbucks kiosk, it's not included.

Edited by denatravels

I'm not wrong--maybe I wasn't totally clear, though--there is NO Starbucks kiosk on quantum. Starbucks branded coffee is included at the cafe, exactly as I said. On ships with a Starbucks kiosk, it's not included.

Understand what you mean now.

Quantum class cruise ships (Quantum of the Seas, Ovation of the Seas & Anthem of the Seas) serve their Starbucks coffee from La Patisserie and this is included in UP.

Oasis class cruise ships (Oasis of the Seas, Harmony of the Seas & Allure of the Seas) have Starbucks kiosks onboard that are pretty much like any Starbucks location you have been to on land and they are not included in UP.

The rest of the ships in the fleet will serve Starbucks coffee from Cafe Promenade or Latte-tudes. and it appears they are included in UP.

Where ever you get your Starbucks coffee on land or at sea the company pay little or no corporate/company taxes.

The rest of the ships in the fleet will serve Starbucks coffee from Cafe Promenade or Latte-tudes. and it appears they are included in UP.

Really? I was not aware that Starbucks was available as an option on the non-Oasis ships.

Wait... so the Premium package includes $12 liquor, but doesn't give me a little shot of chocolate flavouring in my coffee??

Drink options (with alcohol) are the same between premium and ultimate, correct? Sure wish they would publish an easy to read list.

I was on the PP, and found it to be dependent on who was serving you as to what you got!

For example - In Grande, I wanted a glass of prosecco (which is included) and I swear by God himself... the guy didnt know what prosecco was!!! and another member of staff told him to bring me a glass of champagne. Anyway, I wasnt charged for that, but the next day I was charged $14 for a glass.

One day you would get a $14 cocktail in MDR and be charged $2, the next day you would be charged $14, and then the next day nothing at all!

one person would tell you that you cant get mudslides at this bar, (270) then another bartender in the same bar would make you one!

I was on the PP, and found it to be dependent on who was serving you as to what you got!

For example - In Grande, I wanted a glass of prosecco (which is included) and I swear by God himself... the guy didnt know what prosecco was!!! and another member of staff told him to bring me a glass of champagne. Anyway, I wasnt charged for that, but the next day I was charged $14 for a glass.

One day you would get a $14 cocktail in MDR and be charged $2, the next day you would be charged $14, and then the next day nothing at all!

one person would tell you that you cant get mudslides at this bar, (270) then another bartender in the same bar would make you one!

The price mix up, at least I understand how it could happen. Was this a bar server that didn't know prosecco? What kind of bartender (who obviously has access to a blender) can't make a mudslide???

I know - unbelieveable isnt it! but it is true, yes he was a bar person. Maybe he was very new - or maybe he didnt understand my accent? it wasnt an issue- I survived :D

it was all quite early days when I was on Anthem, and I feel many people werent quite sure of things just yet. I dont mind, so long as I get a drink in my hand I am happy!