Firt time cruise

andymac67

Hi All,I am Looking to take my wife on a cruise in October next year for our Silver wedding anniversary.I have found one on The Independence of the Seas to Spain and the canaries.

I am really just looking for anyone's experiences on this Ship or destinations as I want it to be a special time for my wife as she deserves it after looking after me for the last 25 years (my health has not been great)

I look forward to reading your reply's/suggestions.

Regards,Andy

Hi, Andy...what a lovely thought for your wife. :cool:

The Indy is a great favourite with the Brits, as she was here all year round for a number of years, so everyone just had to try her- and the vast majority loved her. RCI very cleverly introduced British ways, such as no tipping on drinks; kettles in cabins and alcohol served to 18yr olds. She is, indeed, a magnificent ship, with plenty of unusual features such as an indoor mall, a flow rider for surfers etc..

However, she's a ship built for the Caribbean, so much of her activities happen outdoors. There's a wonderful deck full of pools, sea screen and children's area which is open to the elements. The indoor activities are in rooms facing inwards, so you don't see the sea. That's fine when you're in constant hot weather.

We discovered that on a chillier cruise, nothing at all happened on the top deck because it was too rainy and windy, and the indoor mall and other rooms were crammed with people. We spent a lot of time out on deck, wearing fleeces, returning to our cabin periodically to warm up.

No way would I want to put you off, because she's very lovely and well worth seeing...but there will be sea days across the BOB and over the Atlantic to the Canaries...and October is a time of changeable weather.

Hopefully there will be lots of people telling you just to go for it- we're certainly glad that we tried her. :)

Hi Jocap,thanks for your reply,so do you think I be better going somewhere else in October for hotter weather? I am 47 and never been abroad before :) so this is all new to me so any advice/suggestions will be greatfully recieved.

Andy

We have been on Indy once and Azura twice, we have booked to go on Indy next May. It is a much better ship than Azura, with lots of different activities compared to Azura.

Having said that, we thought the food was better on P&O and the drinks were comparable to UK bar prices, whereas Indy bar prices were higher. On our next Indy cruise, we have a drinks package.

Like Mark, we've been on Azura, and just like Indy, we found her to be too cold for many sea days...my main memory is coming back for 3 sea days from Madeira and trying to watch the open air sea screen for a film we hadn't seen with the wind whistling round us, and ankles wet from the rain...

If we're cruising from Southampton out of season, we make it a rule now to go on a ship with an indoor pool with a viewing area round it, for cold days. This means we choose Ventura, a large P&O ship, or one of P&O's smaller ships; or Celebrity Eclipse, or the Queen Mary 2. Sometimes there's a Princess ship with a pool, so she's a contender.

Going to the Canaries will mean sea days...I love them, but they're not everyone's scene in autumn. Perhaps you might see what's going down the coast of Spain and round into the Med? There's usually less sea days doing that.

Don't be discouraged from Indy, though- she remains an incredible ship. It's just the cold memories we have...

I hope you're anniversary doesn't fall in half term, though as the prices will be higher than the week before and after, as that's the only week when children are allowed out of school.

Hi Jo,thanks for your reply and advice I will certainly have a look about,I have to say though i did fall in love with the IOTS as she looks and sounds magnificent.I have had a look at the Med but not really found anything round about our anniversary and I would like to be on the ship on the day of it.

Our anniversary is on the 7th so it is before the kids break up.

I will just need to continue looking but I want to get it booked and start paying it off as soon as possible as I don't work due to ill health so I need to budget as much as I can.

Regards,Andy