Itinerary pitfalls?

perlgirlnj

I've been noodling around on HK-Singapore or vice-versa itineraries but haven't delved in enough to start investigating specific ports & excursions. I just came across an itinerary which is really nicely priced and I'd have to jump on it soon if I wanted to do it. Is this a good itinerary? It has more sea days than I'd like but I'm also wondering if it's enough time in the major ports. I'll take any or all comments. Thanks.

PS: We would come a little early and stay a little late to see Singapore & HK.

28 Feb 2016 Singapore 04:00 PM

29 Feb 2016 At Sea

01 Mar 2016 At Sea

02 Mar 2016 Laem Chabang (Bangkok), Thailand 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

03 Mar 2016 Ko Kood, Thailand 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

04 Mar 2016 Sihanoukville, Cambodia 07:00 AM 08:00 PM

05 Mar 2016 At Sea

06 Mar 2016 Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam 10:00 AM

07 Mar 2016 Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam 04:00 PM

08 Mar 2016 At Sea

09 Mar 2016 Da Nang (Hue), Vietnam 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

10 Mar 2016 At Sea

11 Mar 2016 Halong Bay, Vietnam 07:00 AM 08:00 PM

12 Mar 2016 At Sea

13 Mar 2016 Hong Kong, China 07:00 AM

Quite a decent itinerary. :)

Yes, there are a few pitfalls on time in port:

Laem Chabang. It's a minimum 90 minutes to Bangkok by road & no public transport option. And because traffic jams are quite frequent & it's a long swim to your next port, you need to allow a good 2.5 hrs for the return to the ship. Most ships overnite here (quite a few cruisers overnite in a Bangkok hotel) and a single day is a disappointment.

Saigon. Although you have an overnite, neither day is particularly long. We need to know the ship, because tiddlers like Azamara's can sail up the Saigon River & port in the city, whereas the leviathons have to port at Phu My, about 90 minutes away. OK if you port in the city, or overnite in a Saigon hotel if you port at Phu My.

Halong Bay. Again you have a single day, whereas most ships are here for a day & a half. However I rate a day & a half a bit of a waste - not enough time for the long drive to Hanoi plus a decent junk cruise, not really even enough time for just Hanoi on an overnite, and a wasted half-day if you just want a decent junk cruise. So IMHO the single day isn't so bad.

With just the one longish day (longish doubtless because the cruise line wants to sell rushed excursions to Hanoi) I suggest you rule out Hanoi, and take a decent (6 or 8 hour) junk cruise - you'll get in amongst the limestone karsts, a watery out-of-this-world experience, quiet & eerie & desolate away from other boats. And the frequent mists experienced there don't spoil the day, they add to the eeriness.

Timing of the other ports is OK, IMHO.

Yes, I'd certainly give HK several days. Not so keen on Singapore -I find it a bit too clean, clinical & orderly !!

All just MHO as always

JB :)

Edited to add : Seabourn ships are tiddlers. You'll almost certainly berth in Saigon city :)

Edited by John Bull

• 2 weeks later...

We did this cruise on Seabourn Sojourn last year. Personally, I enjoyed the Art Museums, National Orchid Collection and good food in Singapore.

As noted above, docking in Laem Chabang is a problem - a very long drive to do Bangkok, and not so much to do locally. Ko Kood is a wonderful barbecue on the beach day - lots of loungers, beautiful sandy bay. Sihanoukville does not have a lot to see - but a few temples, and a vibrant local market.

Seabourn ships are small enough to sail right up to the centre of Saigon - the sail in and sail away are wonderful. Make sure you get up early enough to watch the ship start sailing up the river. We managed to pack in quite a lot in that day and a half. I can recommend the trip out to the artists' colony - working fine artists, not generic souvenirs.

The trip to Hoi An from Da Nang was well done - a Silversea ship was in town as well and the passengers I heard were very unhappy about the quality of their tours. The trip to Hanoi is a very long one - two of our party did it. The rest of us took a junk around Ha Long Bay, and I would not have wanted to miss that.

The pattern of sea day followed by port day also worked well, as some of the ports were quite busy.

• 1 month later...
We did this cruise on Seabourn Sojourn last year. Personally, I enjoyed the Art Museums, National Orchid Collection and good food in Singapore.

As noted above, docking in Laem Chabang is a problem - a very long drive to do Bangkok, and not so much to do locally. Ko Kood is a wonderful barbecue on the beach day - lots of loungers, beautiful sandy bay. Sihanoukville does not have a lot to see - but a few temples, and a vibrant local market.

Seabourn ships are small enough to sail right up to the centre of Saigon - the sail in and sail away are wonderful. Make sure you get up early enough to watch the ship start sailing up the river. We managed to pack in quite a lot in that day and a half. I can recommend the trip out to the artists' colony - working fine artists, not generic souvenirs.

The trip to Hoi An from Da Nang was well done - a Silversea ship was in town as well and the passengers I heard were very unhappy about the quality of their tours. The trip to Hanoi is a very long one - two of our party did it. The rest of us took a junk around Ha Long Bay, and I would not have wanted to miss that.

The pattern of sea day followed by port day also worked well, as some of the ports were quite busy.

At Ko Kood did you take a ship's tour for the BBQ or diy?

English Tim

Not a lot else on Ko Kood. It is an island, with a wonderful beach, lots of loungers, beach toys and a wonderful barbecue. Locals offer inexpensive massages, but I don't think there is anything else there.

Was a lovely day and everyone enjoyed it.

English Tim

Not a lot else on Ko Kood. It is an island, with a wonderful beach, lots of loungers, beach toys and a wonderful barbecue. Locals offer inexpensive massages, but I don't think there is anything else there.

Was a lovely day and everyone enjoyed it.

Thanks, sounds like my kind of place.:)