A chairhog question?

sherin65

While we are on the chair hog topic-what do you think about people with no obvious small children who save/or even sit in the front row. My pet peeve on a cruise is when I see adults who have no children in the front row.

I say this because I have 3, 16, 12 & 7. The 7 year old still needs to be supervised, so I hate it when I am like 3 rows back trying to watch her while someone is sleeping. I can't wait until I could relax by the pool and not watch my child so diligently, you can be sure I would not mind sitting a few rows back, after all, if you are reading or sleeping, does it matter how close to the pool you are?

Let me know(as I'm sure you will) if I am overreacting.

Overreacting, definitely. If you want a front row seat get out there early and get it. Do you honestly think you are entitled to the front row so you can supervise your child. One could easily argue that you could just sit on the edge of the pool or for that matter stay in the pool with your child. To suggest that people without small children sit elsewhere for your convenience is ridiculous. One could easily argue that if a child requires such supervision that a parent be with them in the pool at all times or the child will not be allowed in the pool at all.

While we are on the chair hog topic-what do you think about people with no obvious small children who save/or even sit in the front row. My pet peeve on a cruise is when I see adults who have no children in the front row.

I say this because I have 3, 16, 12 & 7. The 7 year old still needs to be supervised, so I hate it when I am like 3 rows back trying to watch her while someone is sleeping. I can't wait until I could relax by the pool and not watch my child so diligently, you can be sure I would not mind sitting a few rows back, after all, if you are reading or sleeping, does it matter how close to the pool you are?

Let me know(as I'm sure you will) if I am overreacting.

I think you're over-reacting. If they are actually IN the chair, I don't see a problem. My 6 daughters are all grown but I would never have expected anyone to have to make compromises for me to be a parent. That was my choice in life - not theirs.

Beth

I guess I should clarify the scenario- Chair hogs who come down at 6:00 save the first row of seats and come to the pool around lunch time to read a book (on only one of the chairs) I was wondering why they had to save the front row for hours only to either sleep or read a book.

I apologize to the normal people who just go to the pool, enjoy themselves and do not save seats for hours.

I never removed a chair hog's stuff yet, I might in 3 weeks when I go. Any idea about an appropriate time to move the stuff?

That is the scene I am talking about. Why do the chair hogs "save all the front row?) If you are not even there-why do they pick the front rows? I could possibly see if there is a show or something! But I have learned from the other posters that if I see a chair hogged up front, I will politely claim it as my own.

I think chair-hogging is rudeness, I don't care what row it's in, front or back. I just wish I had the nerve to do something about it, politely of course. But instead, I let off my steam here. Aren't you people the lucky ones! :rolleyes:

Robin

I guess I should clarify the scenario- Chair hogs who come down at 6:00 save the first row of seats and come to the pool around lunch time to read a book (on only one of the chairs) I was wondering why they had to save the front row for hours only to either sleep or read a book.

I apologize to the normal people who just go to the pool, enjoy themselves and do not save seats for hours.

I never removed a chair hog's stuff yet, I might in 3 weeks when I go. Any idea about an appropriate time to move the stuff?

My feelings on "chair hogs":

If someone is saving a lounger for someone who has gone to the washroom, to get a drink or even for a cooling quick dip in the pool - no problem. But if I notice a lounger unattended for longer than about 20-30 minutes, I think it is fair game. As for reserving a group of empty loungers for hours on end - that is just rude. When we use loungers, if we go to lunch or elsewhere on the ship, we pack up our stuff so someone else can enjoy them without qualms. We can always find other loungers if we return.

Just don't park your crud in a chair and wander off for more than longer than it takes to get a burger and bring it back (generalization in the term "burger" any food will do) or go to the rest room or get a drink. Notice I did not say, Get a burger, go to the bathroom AND get a drink. Just mind your stuff. Take a nice long swim of you want to, but the chairs are visible from the, rather small, pools so saying "I was swimming for the last 10 hours" does not cut it. Use what you are using and leave it for others when you are not. Why this is beyond such a large segment of the cruising population is beyond me. I have seen this justified to death on the boards and cannot, for the life of me, understand the thought process behind it. Know that other people are on THEIR vacation and entitled to that space as well. I jog in the morning and it is hysterical to watch the people in robes and slippers putting a book on a chair and shuffling off back to bed!

being a non-parent in the world these days is tricky and it's getting annoying. On our last cruise, there were kids running around the pool and nearly knocking over some older folks, I asked them to walk and not runbecause it was the rule and it was safer. Their mom came stomping over and told me not to speak to her kids. I give up.

AMEN to that!!!!! I hear ya! :rolleyes:

I was on the Zenith 9/17 to Bermuda and on our last day at sea I was occupying a lounge chair near the bar.I went to the men's room for 2 minutes and left sandals and hat on lounge chair. when in I returned 2 VERY LARGE passsengers took my chair ,discarded my personal items and occupied the lounge chairs.I was P---d.What dou you think i shoud have done ?

I'd be interested in your comments.And then i"ll tell what i did.

I agree with setting your stuff on your chair while your taking a quick dip to cool off, using the restroom, going to get a drink, but when you see a chair unoccupied for more than what amount of time is it "fair game"?? 30 minutes - one hour?? What if a person just went for lunch?? I suppose that's why I've never confronted anyone about it. I didn't want to be the rude person!

thmsmcdnld--I would have kindly told them I went to pee, grabbed my stuff and told them to kindly remove themselves from my chair. What did you do?!

Robin

I guess I'm in the minority here, as I don't think of the lounge chairs around the pool as "prime". Rather, we avoid them after having a few unpleasant situations, some involving children, some with loud-mouthed adults. We find the nicest spots to be away from the pool, on the deck above, or better yet, all the way fore or aft. Some ships have lovely little areas with hot tubs and wind screens, the bar servers come up there too. There is no noise, splashing or running childred, obnoxious music or silly games people flock to see. We do have kids, older now, but when they were younger, if they wanted to swim in a ships' pool, we would be at the side, watching them, I don't recall being able to see them from the pool deck.Then again, if there is a crowd anywhere, we tend to go the other way. I think I'm getting old, can't stand to have too many people around me.

I agree that I would prefer to be away from the noise and splashing. And since I no longer have small children I don't need to watch them while swimming. Especially since they are 27 and almost 25.

The one thing I keep seeing is that apparently it is acceptable to hold a chair while catching a quick bite. I can't imagine being able to go and get something to eat in less than 30 min. so my opinion, and only my opinion is that anything over 30 mins away from the pool area, (not including time soaking in the pool) would be an act of vacating the chair leaving it open to anybody who wants it.

But what do I know I won't be on my first cruise until next March. But all of you CC have opened my eyes about what to watch for and watch out for.

One could easily argue that if a child requires such supervision that a parent be with them in the pool at all times or the child will not be allowed in the pool at all.

Being an ex-lifeguard I can't disagree more. Children need constant supervision while they are in a pool. I don't think EVE323 is that out of line. The closer you are to the pool the better your sight will be. When you are a few rows back you can't see the pool very well. I understand that people don't want to give up their seat and they shouldn't have to. I would say that RCCL should provide a lifeguard but I won't. If they did parents would have another place to drop their kids off and ignore them the entire cruise. I don't know. Parents should be able to supervise their children but other cruisers shouldn't be inconvenience. If anyone has a solution to this problem give me some ideas because I'm drawing a blank.

If no chairs are available/unclaimed, we will move items off a couple chairs (onto another chair, not on the deck). If someone comes along in a reasonable amount of time and claims the chairs - no problem - we'll move on over to two new ones. Always lots of unoccupied chairs to choose from.

I agree with setting your stuff on your chair while your taking a quick dip to cool off, using the restroom, going to get a drink, but when you see a chair unoccupied for more than what amount of time is it "fair game"?? 30 minutes - one hour?? What if a person just went for lunch?? I suppose that's why I've never confronted anyone about it. I didn't want to be the rude person!

thmsmcdnld--I would have kindly told them I went to pee, grabbed my stuff and told them to kindly remove themselves from my chair. What did you do?!

Robin

Insted of getting into a fight over a lounge chair,I went to the 4pm tea and brought a tray full of cake and cookies and frozen yogurt.The Fat p--s enjoyed every bit of it and thanked me for my generosity.How do you figure it?

I've never been on a cruise, but chair hogs are annoying! You see them everywhere in public. I hate to have to see them on a vacation as well.

I can't believe a book actually suggests to do it.

I would probably move someone's stuff only if there was really no place to sit and I was positive they were gone for a while.

If I was already sitting on one and the one next to me was being chair hogged and I saw people looking for a seat, I would let them know they could probably take it.

If I saw the original person return to their empty "reserved" seat after more than an hour, I would really like to say something to them, but I probably wouldn't cause I may have a hard time remaining calm. I think getting into a fight with a total stranger on a vacation is not relaxing..

This chair hogging problem seems to be pretty big as I've read a lot about it here. Since the RCCL staff don't seem to be enforcing the rule, maybe they have to make more signs, and put them on each chair about how items will be discarded if left for more than 20 minutes unattended, and also as a courtesy to other guests, and put it in the newsletter thing that people get every day so people are aware.

and smoking in non-smoking sections is just plain rude.

If you have indeed only been gone a couple minutes to go to the rest room and return to find your chair occupied then you should politly ask that the occupant return your chair to you. By "discarded my things" I hope you mean moved them because if they threw them away you should not bother talking to them and go to a pool attendant. The size of the person occupying the chair has nothing to do with it.

It is usually obvious who has stepped away to use the facilities or pool. I can never manage to go to a pool (Unless it is to swim laps) without a whole heap of things. I always have a swim coverup and flip flops, sunglasses and a hat. My husband wears sandals which he does not use while swimming.

Regarding children. You need to be near them while they are in the pool. Even if they can swim. I would say until they are 12 or so and maybe after that too. Drowning is known as the silent death and it happens very quickly. When my oldest was 3 he stepped just a smidge deeper than he should have and went under very fast. I was right there and pulled him out but it was very close, very fast and VERY quiet. There was no yelp or anything. I was in shock and to this day watch them like a hawk. I will not take the little ones to even the baby pool until they are old enough to play as a unit. It only takes a second. My attention cannot be divided four ways like that I applaud lifeguards. I just don't know how they do it especially when they should be backup but are often used as primary child watchers.

I have always been able to find a lounge chair even if it is not close to the pool in fact I prefer it in a secluded corner. I am not gooing to remove anyones possesions from a chair. I am on vacation and its not worth an argument.

Although it is entertaining to watch people come back looking for their items.

Last spring on Sov. of Seas had bad problem w/ full ship and not nearly enough chairs, lots of rude people! I had to use the restroom, was afraid to leave DD alone to fight off the rude people and could not take her with becuz then we would have been considered chair hogs ( I guess)..What to do??? This is a big problem and can ruin an entire vacation..if someone was JUSt walking by how would they know we had gone to the restroom..would come back to find our stuff in the trash on the floor??? WOW! Seems to me this problem might start riots..especially after reading all of this :(

I suggest that each chair have two of those little clocks that shop keepers put on their doors "be back in 5 Min"

You could set the first one at the time you leave say 2:10 and then the second one on when you will return say 2:20 - ladies take longer in the bathroom (especially with a wet bathing suit). That would clearly show that at least someone was at the chair at 2:10 (to set the clock) and if they don't return in a respectable time say 2:30 or so then go at it. The chair is all yours.

Maybe I could hire myself out to the chair hoggers to keep changing the start time - I could make drink money just sitting by the pool - or better yet, if I charge enough I could pay for my whole cruise.

Oh well, no easy solution - just do the right thing and don't hog!

Last spring on Sov. of Seas had bad problem w/ full ship and not nearly enough chairs, lots of rude people! I had to use the restroom, was afraid to leave DD alone to fight off the rude people and could not take her with becuz then we would have been considered chair hogs ( I guess)..What to do??? This is a big problem and can ruin an entire vacation..if someone was JUSt walking by how would they know we had gone to the restroom..would come back to find our stuff in the trash on the floor??? WOW! Seems to me this problem might start riots..especially after reading all of this :(

I just use common sense. I wait for a while (everyone seems to have a different idea of what is appropriate, I use 15 minutes. Many posters feel that is not long enough) and then ask the pool attendants if they would remove the things. Honestly it has NEVER been a problem. I don't get a chair that has a wet towel on it or personal things like flip flops under it. I go for the folded up, dry towel chairs and it's not a riot or a big deal. I have never been confronted once.

Quote: "While we are on the chair hog topic-what do you think about people with no obvious small children who save/or even sit in the front row. My pet peeve on a cruise is when I see adults who have no children in the front row."

You have got to be kidding. I guess MY pet peeve is those parents WITH children that think the world should revolve around children, especially theirs. And I don't appreciate having to get out of the hot tub when your kids come in so I don't get accused of "inappropriate touching".

We do not move other people's stuff but wait until we see someone leaving and ask if they are really leaving. Only on one cruise, I think it was the Norway, did we see a pool attendant removing stuff from chairs when we got to the pool around 9:00. These were obviously "saved" chairs that early in the morning and he gathered up the stuff and put it in a big pile.

If you are leaving for good, pick up your towels.

• 4 weeks later...

RCI seems to have instituted a new policy. You get one towel in your cabin per cruiser and need to turn the towel in to get a towel. There was still hogging but not as bad. The only downside was our steward took our dirty pool towels one day and forgot to put out clean ones. We had to do some fast talking to get towels (He was off duty at the time). When he came back on duty we explained what happened to him and he cleared it right up. I loved this policy. Most of the hogging went on over at the family pool (where kids are allowed in the hot tubs). The adult pool areas were free of children.

Archived