Contacting the ship

Superdottie

The website should have an emergency contact number...all cruise lines do....Give those at home your ship's name and your cabin #...they can contact you. The costs vary by cruise line....can be anywhere from$2.95- $7.95 per min...billed to the caller.

The packet you will get from DCL about 30 days prior to your trip will contain some cards that look like business cards that you can punch out and give to whomever. They contain the ship's name and the shore to ship contact number. A credit card is required and the cost is $7 per minute.

There are much more efficient ways to contact you. First, depending on what cruise you are on and who your cell carrier is, you may be able to use your cell phone, sometimes needing to purchase a cruise add on for the month. If you are visiting US ports, you won't usually need this. Also, check on costs of texts--they can be as little as 5 cents. And you can get a 50mb internet package free on the first day of most cruises; purchase more if needed.

My take would be that people back home don't need to contact me unless it is an extreme emergency...after all, what can I do while at sea? But e-mail is by far the most cost effective. You can even set up a special mailbox/address just for those you want to hear from while on vacation to avoid downloading junk mail.

My fav is the 1gb package. Hmm... looks like it's cheaper now than in 2013.

I strongly suggest that people sign up for the free 50mb package on day 1. This will allow you to get a good idea of how much you want to purchase as well as being sure that any background apps are turned off (so they aren't wasting data). On a short cruise, 50mb may be all you need if the idea is just to check e-mails. And you can purchase a package at any time during the cruise.

If you can be "off the grid" for a day or two at a time, then T-Mobile cell phone service will allow you to send/receive e-mails and send/receive text messages for free from any Caribbean island including Castaway Cay. Calls are $0.20/min--or free if you have a wifi calling capable phone and connect to a wifi hotspot on an island.