Going to be in Rio and Buenos Aries in March 2016

bikeboy999

Hi fellow cruizers,

We are heading for the March 20th Bs As to San Diego sailing next year. And we are stopping in Rio along the way. What are the must haves in Rio. How about security? I sense that Europe's fears are pickpocket related. While I have been reading the Brazil's is being held up at knife or gun points? Are these tales exaggerated? Do they happen because of looking like a tourist, with flash camera, jewelry and fanny packs?

Brian

Any big city in the world could be a problem. The main thing is to use common sense. Leave all jewelry on board. Stay in a group, don't be flashing money or valuables around. We've been to S.A. I never worried about it. Spend time thinking about what & where you are going to explore, experience new adventures. You'll enjoy and have a wonderful cruise.

Allan

Edited by ski ww
spelling

?..we are stopping in Rio along the way. What are the must haves in Rio. How about security? I sense that Europe's fears are pickpocket related. While I have been reading the Brazil's is being held up at knife or gun points? Are these tales exaggerated? Do they happen because of looking like a tourist, with flash camera, jewelry and fanny packs?

For ideas of what Rio offers, take a look at http://www.ipanema.com

Most visitors look forward to seeing the view of the city from under the Christ statue on Corcovado, but it needs to be a clear day.

What are your interests and how much time do you have in Rio?

Crime in Rio, and Brazil in general, is opportunistic. Don't supply the opportunity. Most tourist crime is pick pocketing or snatch-and-run, that kid about to bicycle by for example while you are focused on taking a photo or eating your pizza. You should remain vigilant and aware of your possessions. The very rich live or stay right next door to the extremely marginalized in Rio (unlike most cities in Brazil), which sets up conditions for those few who would take advantage of this.