Help - No insurance - Heart attack

This is not intended as a 'flame' but as a helpful comment. Sounds like you've been doing what I used to do which was wait until after final to purchase insurance. I've found that there is another option.

Many travel insurance companies recommend buying the insurance upon making a deposit. You do not insure the full amount of the cruise, only the deposit amount. Lot's of folks don't realize they can do this. Once you make final payment, call and increase the insurance amount to the full cost. The initial cost on the deposit will be very small. This process allows you to insure pre-existing conditions at a nominal price. (BTW, the cost of insurance is calculated in $500 increments. You pay the same amount to insure a trip costing $1501 as you would for a trip

costing $1999.)

One other thing, if your companions do get the cruise line to move their reservation, do you want to move yours too? I would suggest getting that done at the same time.

I do this ALL THE TIME!! Both Alianz and travelguard cost $38 for the minimum, based upon my age and state of residency. Even if I end up cancelling, it's really a small price to pay for someone (me!!) that has many preexisting orthopedic issues! Just make a reminder note to increase it when you make final payment-- I almost forgot that step and then was very close to having to cancel for said orthopedic issues!

Wishing your friend a speedy recovery-- I like the idea of walking laps around the ship!

Edited by denatravels

I am looking for some advice please. Bob, any thoughts? I always appreciate your wisdom.

We have a cruise booked for Jan. Some older friends decided to join us.

We had final payment on Oct 20. Since we were on another cruise at that time, we made our payment early, on Oct 16th.

We always get insurance because of older parents and young children at home. I was planning to purchase insurance this week after we were back from our cruise.

Here's the problem: over the weekend our friend had a heart attack, thankfully he is doing ok. But obviously he will have a recovery period. He has had heart conditions in the past but nothing recently.

I feel terrible, since I did not get the insurance purchased yet.

I have been on insure my trip, but I am not sure what I should be looking for. I don't totally understand the look back period, or waiver conditions with insurance.

Is there a policy that would still cover him?

Any help would be appreciated.

Please no flaming, it is intimidating sometimes, posting on this forum.

Thank you for your help.

You asked some very good questions, and received some good answers. I hope your friend recovers quickly, and is able to go. Cruising is very relaxing, and might even help in his recovery. It would be helpful to CC members when you get find out what your options are, to let us know.

Many travel insurance companies recommend buying the insurance upon making a deposit. You do not insure the full amount of the cruise, only the deposit amount. Lot's of folks don't realize they can do this. Once you make final payment, call and increase the insurance amount to the full cost. The initial cost on the deposit will be very small. This process allows you to insure pre-existing conditions at a nominal price. (BTW, the cost of insurance is calculated in $500 increments. You pay the same amount to insure a trip costing $1501 as you would for a trip costing $1999.)

I do similar, but insure only the non-refundable amount which is $0 since the deposit is still refundable until final payment date so the initial premium is even lower. This is with Travel Guard and it may be different with other companies.

I do similar, but insure only the non-refundable amount which is $0 since the deposit is still refundable until final payment date so the initial premium is even lower. This is with Travel Guard and it may be different with other companies.

Travelguard has the same premium from $1-499. Are you saying that you insure $0? My experience has been the lowest I can get is $38 minimum, whether I do anything up to $499.

I would ask your friend how he feels...... we were booked for 16th Aug this year with 4 days at Disney, then a 7 night which ended up all over the place due to hurricanes........

I had 2 heart attacks on 5th July, though we did have insurance, we took it out at time of booking, the doc was the one to decide if we went or stayed, they didn't let us know until Friday 14th Aug that we could go, and we did, it was the best decision we made.

we did hire a wheelchair for Disney as I couldn't walk far, but the cruise, despite the hurricanes changing our itinery, was the best and most relaxing experience I could have asked for and it helped to take my mind off the shock we were still in.

I hope your friend has a speedy recovery and gets everything sorted

wendy

x

Travelguard has the same premium from $1-499. Are you saying that you insure $0? My experience has been the lowest I can get is $38 minimum, whether I do anything up to $499.

Yes, exactly. For example, I recently purchased the initial insurance for myself insuring $0 and it cost $28 including the $7 fee (35-59 age bracket). When you do this, it comes up with a note "You have entered a trip cost of $0. A policy to cover a trip cost of $0 is only available if you have no actual prepaid, nonrefundable expenses." And this is the case when I'm before final payment date because the deposit would be refunded if I canceled. The price difference is $11-$37 depending on age, but that's less money that I'm putting at risk in case I cancel, so the method works for me.

If you're doing this, you need to be organized enough to be sure to modify the policy to add any additional expenses when they do become non-refundable (such as purchasing airfare or making final payment).

I can't take credit for that idea. I first read about that in the insurance forum on CC which prompted me to ask my insurance company. They did verify that it could be done and, in fact, it was what they recommended. I use Travel Insured which is affiliated with USAA. I understand from the insurance forum that almost all companies recommend this.

I have to admit that I have not done this since I've not booked a cruise since I learned this but I will do so when I book my next cruise.

We have done this for several years and have not had a problem getting the value increased when we purchase airfare or make final payment.

OP - Glad to hear that your friend is okay and hope that everything works out for all of you.

Yes, exactly. For example, I recently purchased the initial insurance for myself insuring $0 and it cost $28 including the $7 fee (35-59 age bracket). When you do this, it comes up with a note "You have entered a trip cost of $0. A policy to cover a trip cost of $0 is only available if you have no actual prepaid, nonrefundable expenses." And this is the case when I'm before final payment date because the deposit would be refunded if I canceled. The price difference is $11-$37 depending on age, but that's less money that I'm putting at risk in case I cancel, so the method works for me.

If you're doing this, you need to be organized enough to be sure to modify the policy to add any additional expenses when they do become non-refundable (such as purchasing airfare or making final payment).

I always increase it later-- it just never occurred to me to insure $0. I know the deposit is refundable-- just always thought I had to insure SOMETHING. And I have a trip next summer I need to cancel and figured I would be out the $38. But I will try that next time-- thanks!!

Even though the cruise may be possible, flying can be a bigger problem. The lack of oxygen after a massive heart attack was a problem for several years.

I didnt read anywhere in her post that suggests her friend had a MASSIVE heart attack.. Sounds as though he is ok now.. Many people have small scale M.I.s and recover in a very short period.If patient went to er right away when onset of pain started there may be no ischemia to the heart at all.Flying wouldnt come into play three months from now.The oxygen onboard the plane is 21 percent just like the ground.No difference..

Im sure your friend will be needing that vacation and ready to go by then...

Edited by rtazz17

He may still be able to cruise my brother in law cruised with us from Singapore earlier this year six weeks after a five by pass heart surgery.look at all you options before cancelling if there cruise was paid for by credit card they already might have travel insurance as my brother in law did.we have also had friends take out travel insurance even though the husband had cancer it cost more and there where restrictions but it is all worth looking at before you cancel cruise.

In order to cover "pre-existing" conditions, you do have to buy the insurance when you book the cruise....

It's sort of like auto insurance...you can't insure your car AFTER you have the wreck and have it paid for!

Not exactly correct. Allianz travel insurance offers a plan that covers pre-existing medical conditions:

"Your plan may provide Existing Medical Condition Coverage if you, a traveling companion, or family member has an Existing Medical Condition. An Existing Medical Condition is an illness of injury that exhibited symptoms or was treated at any time 120 days prior to purchasing your plan. Coverage for an Existing Medical Condition is excluded unless: 1.) You purchased your plan within 14 days of making your first trip payment or first trip deposit; 2.) You purchased Trip Cancellation coverage that covers the full cost of all your non-refundable trip arrangements; 3.) You were a U.S. resident and medically able to travel on the day your purchased the plan; 4.) The total cost of your trip does not exceed the maximum cost specified by your plan. All other contract terms and conditions apply. "

I don't know if this applies to the OP because I don't know their payment schedule but for some others this plan would cover existing medical issues.

Edited by utkikr21