Questions from a cruise "Novice"

Deward007

Hello everyone..

Have been reading this forum for a while and have really enjoyed all the great info. My wife and I are cruising on the "Glory" over the week of Thanksgiving with six other friends. We are "Cruise Rookies" and have a few questions:

1. Does Carnival do anything special for Thankgiving (Special dinner, decorate for Christmas, etc)?

2. What kind of weather should we expect? We would really like to enjoy the pools on the ship and the beach in Coz... will it be to cold?

3. I have read on this forum about kids that are unruly and unsupervised. With this being a holiday cruise (schools out), this has me a little concerned. What kind of personal experience have you had?

4. We were thinking of staying on the ship on one of the port days. Which one should we skip... Costa Mia, Belize, or Coz.? On our last cruise some of the Ports were pretty bad (Freeport).

Thanks for all the great info on this site... we cant wait till the cruise!

I have done both a Thanksgiving and Christmas cruise. They did have turkey dinner on Thanksgiving. As for decorations, there was nothing special for Thanksgiving but there was for Christmas.

Unless you are doing a tour in Belize there is not much of anything to do in port.

As for alot of children, depends on your tolerance and you just never know how many there might be. Enjoy your trip anyway.

3. I have read on this forum about kids that are unruly and unsupervised. With this being a holiday cruise (schools out), this has me a little concerned. What kind of personal experience have you had?

On my recent cruise, I would frequently encounter the same merry band of unsupervised pre-teens/early teens who could sometimes tend to get a little out of control. But I noticed that invariably, passengers would just get irritated and do absolutely nothing. Except maybe pout or stomp off muttering in search of some peace and quiet. Well, I'll be damned if a bunch of high-spirited kids are going to interfere with MY vacation, so one afternoon, when they were being a bit too spirited in one of the lounge areas while I was trying to read, I told them firmly but gently that if they didn't settle down, I'd have to call security. Problem solved. Just don't say or do anything you wouldn't say or do if their parents were standing right around the corner -- they just might be.

Just don't say or do anything you wouldn't say or do if their parents were standing right around the corner -- they just might be.

There's not much I wouldn't say in front of their parents if I need to. :rolleyes:

I'm so excited! I'm going on my first cruise this December. The Conquest, sailing on Dec. 11th.

Does anyone know if the ship will be decorated for Christmas that week? I hope so.

Will it be nice and warm for the stingray tour and such?

I have lots of questions, but you guys have answered many of them already, so I'll sift through the past posts and try not to be a bother. :)

We did Thanksgiving on a cruise last year & it was wonderful!! I would do it again in a heartbeat. A little strange seeing Xmas trees & decorations in Puerto Rico with the weather in the mid 80's but a very nice trip. Costa Maya would be my choice for the stay aboard port. Belize does have some excellent snorkeling - better than Cozumel. The ruins at Costa Maya were interesting but not much else there.

You will have a Great cruise

Bill

I went over Thanksgiving a few years ago and wouldn't do it again. The ship was packed. But the majority of posters enjoy holiday cruises from what I've read.

No more Holiday cruises for DW and self, paid more but basically got the same as normal cruise and too many people with kids. I posted a thread about my cruise with the kids from hell on board. Food was about the same and the decorations were nothing to brag about for a Christmas holiday. I guess they didn't want to offend the non-christians by having a real Christmas tree. They did have a large Jewish Manorah (sp). I'll take a off season cruise anytime and have two booked already.

Thanks for the good info... We are really relieved to hear from those who have been there that the temp. should be good for beach activities. We are hoping that, with many of the schools not being out for the entire week that it won't be too crowded with kids (kids dont bother me... kids are kids... it is some of their parents that get me:mad: ).

Don't skip Cozumel...there is so much to do there. I loved Belize, so there is no way I would skip it. I have heard many complaints about Belize, but I think it is beautiful and I would go there again in a heartbeat. Personally, I would skip Costa Maya. We did a tour of the ruins there that was not too bad, but overall, in my honest opinion, there wasn't mush to do. I think it is still a fairly new port. It's all really a matter of opinion. Regardless of what you do, have a great cruise!

Archived