Taxi Experience in Livorno?

bballprncess

Good Morning! We will be in Livorno the second week of November. My travel companion and I are trying to decide what we want to do that day.

Option A - Take train to see Pisa and Lucca

Option B - Come off ship, and hire a taxi for the day to drive us to Pisa, and two wineries. We already have tower climb tickets, and the addresses of the two wineries we would like to visit.

Can anyone share their experience with hiring a taxi on the spot for the day in Livorno? About how much did it run? Good experience or a pain?

All feedback/opinions are welcome. Thank you all!

Hiring a taxi for the day on-spec isn't a great idea in Livorno, or pretty-well anywhere else in Europe. You'll find it very expensive, and a lottery whether the driver speaks passable English, or is even "customer-orientated".

OK for short A to B hops within a city, such as port to train station (it's waaaaay too far to walk) - but for a driver for the day, or even half-day you'll do much better to pre-book with a well-recommended operator. Sorry, no recommendations from me, but hopefully others can - or you can run a search on this forum.

JB :)

A friend was on a cruise that called at Livorno, on a day with a few other ships. They were not the very first off the ship, and by the time they were off, all the taxis had gone. They figured that some would only be going to the station and would be back, but no other taxis showed up for the hour that they waited.

So if you want a private driver, I would book one in advance with one of the companies that gets good reviews on here. If you rely on a taxi being there, you might be disappointed.

Good Morning! We will be in Livorno the second week of November. My travel companion and I are trying to decide what we want to do that day.

Option A - Take train to see Pisa and Lucca

Option B - Come off ship, and hire a taxi for the day to drive us to Pisa, and two wineries. We already have tower climb tickets, and the addresses of the two wineries we would like to visit.

Can anyone share their experience with hiring a taxi on the spot for the day in Livorno? About how much did it run? Good experience or a pain?

All feedback/opinions are welcome. Thank you all!

It is not worth the gamble. Find a good tour company and go with them or take the excursion the boat offers.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We have tickets for the Pisa Tower climb at 9:45, and then we want to go to a couple of wineries. I already have the winery names and phone contact. If we get off the ship and it works out, all I have to do is call the wineries for appointments.

If we get off the ship and there aren't taxis or a taxi I feel is affordable, then we will take the train to Pisa and then on to Lucca. Then train it back at the end of the day.

All continued suggestions are welcome. Thanks! :)

We've used Tuscany by taxi 3 times now and have been very pleased with them. They are inexpensive and very reliable. I just email them and set it up. Twice we went to Florence and Pisa and this year we had them take us to Cinque Terre.