The Cool Factor

daninnyc

This is meant as a discussion - not a criticism if the product by any means. I had a lunch with a friend and we were discussing the cool factor in some of the New York restaurants, bars and hotels and how they always seem to attract a more sophisticated yet fun crowd - always adding playful elements from your childhood to your martini experience so to speak. Seadream is cool - and even has some of those cool toys like water sports and those human segways. A hotel in Chicago gives leaves pixi sticks and other childhood treats on your pillow instead of a mint, and even has a cocktail hour with guests playing games like hoola hoop and twister!

I wonder if Seadream were to incorporate some of these concepts if it would indeed upgrade the cool factor on board experience and if so what would you add - without it being carnivalized.

Any thoughts?

Dan:):p

It could work. But remember, childhoods for SD pax probably range at least 40 or 50 years. "Themes" are much easier to do on a larger ship. And it's a fine line between "cool" factors and cheesy factors (one man's garbage is another man's gold). I mostly think "cool" is more a factor of the people attending than it is of contrived activities. And any activitiy should be optional and not intrude on any other passenger's desire for solitude. The activities director could certainly tailor each sailing to the clientele aboard at that time.

That said. what could be done on SeaDream?

Jetski/banana boat/sailboat races (compare individual times out to a point and back)

Golf tournament (on the indoor simulator - compelte with drink service every few holes)

Cocktail hour with drinks that have lit up ice cubes

nuts and bolts cocktail hour: meet people while looking for the nut to your bolt, and vice versa.

Slumber party/campout one night on deck.

Charades

Perhaps they only need to up the "cool" in one area - the bar in the Main Salon. They could turn it into a late night lounge.

A few more ideas along those lines:

Flair bartenders

Cocktail waitresses

guest musicians for the evening

However, I don't think this is the direction SDYC had in mind when starting the company.

Bill -

I Like that nuts and bolts idea! Now that's fun. Your right about the cool factor thing....I also think that Golf idea would be a blast. It's fun in small groups and I guess it does lose it's fun factor in large groups - or in large groups of creeps - but we know there are no creepy people on Seadream!

Bill -

I thought about what the Norway people had in mind....I think they tried to model what was great 20 years ago and deliver it as best as they could - and they do! But cool may not be what they are good at. Maybe less emphasis on Caviar and more on fun? Could it also be that the average cruiser for the Seadream product is turning out to be other than they originally thought? As we said, not the funship kind of fun, but a more loose hip component? Are Scandanavians cool by design anyway? How cool can some midlife cruise executives with tons of money be?

:D

One of the best things about SeaDream is that there is total flexibility. If you need "cool" quotient to have fun, there's always the night life on St. Bart's or the yachting/drinking/dancing/music experience at Foxy's on Jost Van Dyke.

Jim Avery can tell you a great story about the passengers deciding to meet at the bar in their pajamas -- some of who then went on to have a slumber party on the top deck one night -- one lady slept on the Balinese beds under the stars every single night.

We were on shore one day when the owner decide to get the Segways out and race around the pool deck. Maybe that only seems cool to this mid-life executive, but I think you can make your own coolness on the boat (unless you get stuck with a passenger like we did one time who kept threatening a law suit because he fell off the banana boat while sloshed).

FT

I totally agree on the "make your own coolness" idea. Especially on a ship of such small size and limited number of passengers, the Activities Director should have wide latitude and resources to make the sailing the best for the particular group of passengers on each sailing.

In terms of upping the "hip and cool" atmosphere, I like to think of the W Hotels, newly remodeled Renaissance Hotels, and NYC boutique hotels (eg, Hotel Giraffe) as templates. Albeit from pictures, it appears that the cabins follow this line. Maybe they could update some of the public spaces to be a bit more "cool". I have seen pictures and video of the W Hotel in San Diego, which has a kind of nautical theme.

Think "NYC upscale cocktail lounge on a yacht"!

Bill, I think that might have to be emailed to seadream.

FT - your right on target! The crowd does make cool (I did not know about the pajama party thing, but I would have LOVED IT!!!)

Don't take My comment about midlife (Im 41) in a negative way - I was just thinking about what Bill said about what the seadream creaters were thinking and I get it.

If I see one of those big fun ship things in St. Thomas on my cruise, would it be cool if I snubbed them while boarding the seaream, cool towel and drink in hand? Ok, I'll do it anyway.

Bill -

Try to find the web site for the Maritime Hotel in New York. Talk about cool and hip - it's just abbuzzzzzz with everyone who wants to be fabulous. I think the rooms and hallways are a little dark, it was the old home for runaway teenagers and they did a great job in remodeling it. Of course the service is a bit edgy but thats to be expected - all the employees MUST have time to continually check themeslves out in the mirrors.

Try to find the web site for the Maritime Hotel in New York.

Dan,

After finding the website (here) for The Maritime Hotel, I had to laugh! When we were in NYC in July, we walked right past it on our way from Union Square (where our hotel was) to the Chelsea Market. In fact, we commented on how unique the outside of the building was.

After looking at the pictures of the inside, you are absolutely correct. SeaDream should outfit their yachts according to this template!

What we love about this place (SICK) is while everyone is ordering $15 drinks and watching Martha Steward order suchi, you are directly across from the low income projects watching kids come home from school, throw things at each other, mothers pushing mutiple baby carriages, old folks walking slowly back from the grocery store, and an arrest thrown in here and there to accent the local flavor. I live on 17th up the block from the hotel and I can tell you on a weekend its just FABULOUS. I especially love all the calvin Klein models who have not eatten a thing since 1978 trying to order some nibbles and of course, white wine.

I can't comment on your cool NY hotels 'cause I hesitate to say it but I've never been to NY...ok it is on my wish list....just not in the top 20...

on SD1 in the Med this June... Vance my partner entered the organised "golf tournament" and he won...not sure it was "cool" as he was the only entrant...the entertainments director had to make up the numbers so that there was actually someone to play against....

most of the guests were either ashore doing the culture bit or like me enjoying champagne, sun and good conversations on deck....guess it just depends what turns you on...me I tend to hate organised events especially the waiting around that always seems to happen...

talking of "cool" ...one of the best nights we had was a "guest" appearance by John Lodge (ex Moody Blues) ....Vance and I met John years ago when SD1 was the Sea Goddess and he was part of the on board entertainment they used to have then...during our catch up chats we found out that he met his wife on that cruise....anyway he was on board for a few days and he agreed to do a DJ gig after dinner (we dined on deck that night) at the top of the yacht bar..60's/70's music ..it was great and most of us danced and sang the night away to the early hours...

.....but even so some of the guests didn't appreciate it as we effectively took over the top of the yacht bar all night....

as they say you can't please all of the people all of the time....

xxH

Interesting take on the cool/hip vibe ... I'm one of those people who tries to avoid trendy - from clothing to wine to interior design to music. I prefer to catch things before they become so "in" or I revert to the classics with a new twist.

One of things that we LOVE about SD is no schedule. If folks want to do something impromtu that is great as long as it doesn't impact what I am enjoying at that time ...Helen we would have loved to have been part of that evening. Now if there was a rap DJ we would head to the piano bar:eek:

DH and I joke that we are old beyond our years as we are closer to 40 than 50:p I think all those years in our 20s and 30s of running to Manhattan or Philadelphia for drinks, dinner and nightlife and then a move to the South slowed us down:rolleyes:

Hellen - Of course you have to be cool to want to experience a product like SEADREAM! Listen, many people would not find the trip worthwhile....we were just throwing around ideas. I would die if I had to do anything organized believe me. By cool I mean somewhat sophisticated in an understated way. Certainly having drinks (and good ones) out on deck and talking with friends instead of choosing to ice skate while your on a carribean vacation certainly means your cool.

And Jen is VERY VERY cool...:D

I like the suggestion for decorating unruly children . . . .how about obnoxious parents too? ;)

Go to the SeaDream Web site -- look at Sea Dream II -- there is a 6 day cruise for Jan. 2 that is only $999 - and one for Easter Week that is only $1499 -- I'm real tempted to sign up another Easter Week cruise - and . . . if you can't beat them - join them --(families with kids on holiday week) we'll take the 17 year old this time (but the single fare supplement is 175%). So what kind of luck do you think I'll have advertising for a roomate for our teen?

FT

Sort of like "The Amazing Race: Family Edition" FT?

I am going to keep an eye out on that Easter cruise. Might we worth taking the Nanny although that could be a hard sell to DH. Too bad you don't have a teen daughter FT:p

Archived