Hub app/Social media package

Jenner9

Just so I am clear...the Hub app is free unless I want to use the messenger for it, which is $5 for the entire cruise, correct? Can I log into social media sites with the Hub app as well or do I need to purchase the social media package in order to get to facebook?

As I understand it, the Social Media package is separate from the Hub App. The Hub App allows you to download the daily activities and info on your ship for free and you can have access to the messaging feature for the extra cost. The Social Media package allows you access to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc for $5 per day or $25 for entire cruise (Depending on cruise length).

Pete

Currently the Breeze is the only ship that has a working Hubb app. It is $5 for the whole cruise if you want to use the texting portion of the HUB app.

The social media packages are available on most ships at this point (there still are a few that don't have it but that list is shrinking fast). For the social package you pay $5 per day or a discounted price based on the length of the cruise (4 day cruise was $15 and a 7 day was $25) We just did the social package and used Facebook messaging for texting each other)

Just so I am clear...the Hub app is free unless I want to use the messenger for it, which is $5 for the entire cruise, correct? Can I log into social media sites with the Hub app as well or do I need to purchase the social media package in order to get to facebook?

Just got off the Breeze on the 1st.

As per previous posts...the Hub App is completely FREE...it is used to view the events going on, keep tabs on your Sail & Sign Account, Food Open Times, Etc...the HUB app also has a chat function which is $5 per day I believe, where you then can chat through the HUB app to other passengers who are also on the ship.

The Social Network Package is completely seperate from the HUB app. It is $5.00 per day or $25.00 for the entire cruise, and gives you access to Facebook/Facebook Messenger, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn, Pinterest...and a few popular airline sites I believe (although I never tested that out...)

Hope this helps!

As it looks you are going on the Breeze that ship does have the HUB app. You are correct that it is $5 for chat the entire cruise and totally separate from the social media package. Make sure you stay on "airplane" mode. I read some post that Sunshine has it up and running, working out the kinks. But can't find it at the play store app on my phone yet. Oh, well.

If you purchase the social internet package will iMessage not work? My kids have phones, but do not have Facebook accounts and I'd rather not set them up just for the messaging component.

If you purchase the social internet package will iMessage not work? My kids have phones, but do not have Facebook accounts and I'd rather not set them up just for the messaging component.

iMessage does work also, but for whatever reason, I found that FB Messenger worked better at times...could have just been how many people were on the WiFi at the time but I never found a problem with FB Messenger, so I primarily used that.

Thanks everyone! Another question ~ I see some people say put the phone in airplane mode and turn off data roaming. Do you really need to do both or is putting it in airplane mode sufficient? I have a Samsung Galaxy 6 and my husband has the 4, if it matters.

Thanks everyone! Another question ~ I see some people say put the phone in airplane mode and turn off data roaming. Do you really need to do both or is putting it in airplane mode sufficient? I have a Samsung Galaxy 6 and my husband has the 4, if it matters.

I'm also interested in an answer to this question!:)

Assuming you have an iPhone you shouldn't have to do both. Last cruise, I turned my phone on, texted, and made at least one maybe 2 phone calls. I had data roaming turned off. I never had any large charges incurred on my phone bill. Actually, I never saw charges for international calling either, but that's another mystery in itself.

But Jennifer, essentially, with data roaming off, your phone won't constantly load data, push notifications etc, when you are in a roaming mode, preventing you loads of charges if you turn your phone on. I would double check on your phone, but it should be off already, I think iPhones are standardly automatically off unless turned on.

I have an Android. Isnt putting it in airplane mode doing the same thing?

Basically, but it you would turn it off of airplane mode to use it, and it's not in data roaming, you have the potential of push notifications and other things loading while your phone is turned on.

There's really no good reason to have data roaming turned on. I have mine turned off pretty much all the time, never turn it on. I don't want data loading in a foreign country unless I am over wifi because it's so expensive.

Edited by kelkel2

As it looks you are going on the Breeze that ship does have the HUB app. You are correct that it is $5 for chat the entire cruise and totally separate from the social media package. Make sure you stay on "airplane" mode. I read some post that Sunshine has it up and running, working out the kinks. But can't find it at the play store app on my phone yet. Oh, well.

Download the Breeze app, it is for all of the ships.

I work for Verizon Wireless in the global tech dept, and can assure you that any phone that is in airplane mode will NOT be able to make or receive calls, texts or cellular data. It CAN still have WiFi on and be able to use data on WiFi, take pictures and listen to already downloaded music. Have a great trip!