Back from a Royal Caribbean cruise! Here are my Carnival comparisons.

gapearl

Hi Kim! Thanks for the comparison - I'm really looking forward to your review, as I am around your age, travel solo all the time, and am thinking about having my next "big" trip be to SE Asia. Would love to hear your thoughts on whether you'd do a cruise through this region again or if you think SE Asia is better as a land vacation (or, with two weeks, maybe the answer is - do both!).

I've started to prefer land trips over cruising the last couple of years, but I still love cruising, so this trip was a perfect combination of both. I spent 5 days in Singapore before the cruise and got to see pretty much everything. There were 3 stops in Malaysia, so I got to see a decent amount there. Also, I had two full days in Phuket, Thailand. I spent two more days after in Hong Kong since I would be flying through there to get home. I would HIGHLY recommend this itinerary! I feel like I saw and did a lot.

Did a Sydney to Honolulu in May/June, 18 days I think, on Royal Carribean and 7 day out of Galveston on October 25. My overall impression was that at RCCL was better, mainly due to the dining room experience. We choose our cruises for ports, and Carnival is kind of late to the table for us. I know that they are expanding to Europe and Asia, but we have done those cruises. My final take is that any day on a cruise ship is better than a day at home! I will continue to cruise Carnival out of Galveston when they make me an offer I can not refuse, but will look elsewhere for new and exotic ports.

If I wasn't such a picky eater and was a foodie in the slightest bit, I would probably choose Royal also in the MDR area. I was thinking about one of the cruises from Australia for 2017, but ultimately it might be too pricey when based on single occupancy and the number of ports (3 ports on an 8 day). Royal doesn't have the 7 day cruises from Sao Paolo next year when I would want to go, otherwise I might have booked it. Like you, I'm interested in more exotic itineraries these days and will continue to shop around. :)

GREAT review. I agree, that Carnival and RCI are more alike than they are different.

We've sailed both more than once and DO agree with your observations/comparisons. CCL is the most relaxed for those who don't care for any kind of dressing up and enjoy partying at the pool parties. The perks on RCCL are much better for returning guests which gives a feeling that they really do value your patronage.

We pick our sailings based on the itinerary or special experiences we'd have by choosing that trip more than anything else. We've also sailed HAL although they tend to be a bit more subdued than CCL or RCCL. (For formal nights they usually enforce men's ties and/or jacket.)

Sailing RNC,

I see you are on the same Escape cruise as we are. It just seems so long to wait, but we do have another Carnival cruise coming a little sooner. After we make our move south, we will be ready just to relax and enjoy ourselves.

As a Carnival cruiser I enjoyed your comparison . We will be on Alluer and I already have a list of things I'm going to miss ,

1. No high tea...I really enjoy this treat

2. No robes...I will try and get two by slipping $20.00 to our stew when asking

3. Do it yourself laundry and iron station...now I have to pack more .

I do know the Allure is going to be fabulous and I will survive the week

Really liked your thoughts. We have cruised both lines and I give the edge to Carnival, Norwegian then Royal, in that order. We have future cruises on Carnival and Royal and enjoy all the cruise lines a lot. Norwegian has a new CEO and President and something has changed there that probably ranks Royal ahead of them now for me.

Enjoyed your review very much.

We are platinum on Princess and Carnival, but we take our very first RCI cruise next fall on Freedom of the Seas.

I always start reading reviews of a ship we are booked on, and I have found several daily activities schedules posted on the RCI forum site.

The have a good bit of Trivia. Two in the morning. Two in the evening and at nine every night a Brain Buster. That might be be the FOS but for us it is a game changer.

My husband watches jeopardy every night and does the paper crossword every morning,

The other things you said.........well.....WOO HOO! sound pretty good!

Edited by AmberTeka

So those are my thoughts. I had a great trip and visited some of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Royal Caribbean is a great cruise line and they have a lot to offer their guests for an enjoyable and memorable vacation. However after sailing them twice now, I can't buy into the hype that they are so much more superior and better than Carnival. I just can't. To me, that would be like saying Wendy's is so much better than Burger King or Macy's is so much better than Dillard's. They all offer similar products but have a different way of doing things. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I know some people have tried Carnival and didn't like them, and that's ok. The same can be said vice versa as we all have our preferences. However if you were to offer me a free cruise and I HAD to pick only one, I would choose Carnival. Again I think Royal Caribbean is a great company with a great product and I wouldn't hesitate to sail on them again. I have had my eye on some more of Royal's big international itineraries, but I would like to sail them from Florida one day as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read! The full review will be coming soon in the days ahead so be on the lookout for it. If y'all want, I'll bump this back up with the link once I get it started. :)

I agree with 90% of your comparison. Personally, I would chose Carnival for single cruisers, and real late night partying people of all ages. Yes RCCL parties but not like Carnival. And I would chose RCCL for the married or couples.

I agree that Carnival buffet lines are wack. They need to change to buffet stations for much better flow like RCCL.

Looking forward to your review with pictures. :)