Booze Cruise or nice getaway?

exbiologist

My brothers and I are thinking about sending my folks on one of the 4 day roundtrip cruises out of Long Beach that go down to Ensenada, Catalina and back. Would this be a terrible idea for two retired folks who have been there and done that with everything except the major cruise lines? Is this a booze cruise (assume we avoid a true holiday (so no Thanksgiving) and do one of the cheap cruises available in the next couple of weeks as a surprise)?

I've only done one Princess cruise for a honeymoon and we want to give them a taste of one of the major lines before we try to schedule something for the whole family plus our Significant Others (now stand at 8 people, but myself or Brother 1 could have kids by the time this happens). We did a 12 day Island Princess Grand Mediterranean, which we LOVED. I know this wouldn't be comparable, but just a taste of a major cruise line.

They've done Lindblad stuff exclusively, including Galapagos, Antarctica, Arctic Circle, Med, South Pacific and next fall Sea Cloud in the Adriatic. So, because my brothers and I aren't going to be able to swing no $25K plus per head trip anytime soon and would like to travel with the whole family soon, would this be fun or a turn off to them?

I wish there was a balcony option on the Imagination and Inspiration, which was a lot of fun on Island Princess. However, there is a fun twist to our family's maritime past in that those ships were built in Finland which is a nice bonus.

I looked at the Princess options too and think I understand what they have to offer and don't expect too rowdy of a crowd, but the cruise would also be almost twice as expensive. Still not totally out of our potential budget for the parents, but getting there.

I've done the 4 day inspiration you speak of and this weekend I'll be going on the imagination for that same itinerary. It's a cheap short cruise and those 2 things usually can attract a more fun loving crowd. However if you choose the weekday cruise (ie Sunday thru Thursday) you might have a better chance of it being more low key. If I'm to compare it to the first cruise I took, which was a carnival 4 day on the elation out of NOLA, the inspiration was definitely less wild. At least the sailings I was on.

Edited by Cherrys

I wish there was a balcony option on the Imagination and Inspiration, which was a lot of fun on Island Princess.

They both have balconies. Only there's a catch: you have to book suite to get one. The ones on the Upper (6) deck are nicer than the once on the Veranda (11) deck: bigger cabins and more privacy on balconies.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

We have done 4 of these cruises in the last 3 years, and have never felt like we had to fend off drunken marauders or been embarrassed by the behavior of our fellow cruisers (at least no more than in public on dry land or around a resort pool).

It is what you make of it, if they don't want to be in the middle of the action, there are still plenty of places to spend time on the ship that don't involve drinking and partying.

We took my MIL on her first cruise 2 years ago when she was 72. Now she was a spry 72, continues to enjoy life and would gladly head off on one of these weekend cruises in a heartbeat. Neither she, nor her friend were ever put off by the other cruisers, and had a blast in the piano bar.

I agree with Cherrys that if you are really concerned about the other cruisers being too, the weekday cruise might be a better choice.

While we prefer balcony rooms also, I couldn't justify paying more than double to have a suite on a 3 or 4 day cruise compared to an oceanview or porthole room.

As someone who has taken a "booze cruise" with my highly religious and conservative family of ages 0-74, I say go for it.

If your parents aren't the party type, let them know ahead of time which activities they may most enjoy (high tea, wine tasting, steakhouse, trivia, family comedy, spa, towel folding class...) and which things they may opt to forgo(lots on the lido deck, adult comedy, maybe some of the shows, dance club...)

You can easily find deck plans and Fun Times online to get this information for them.

I've done short cruises on both Princess and Carnival and found the party atmosphere to be nearly identical on each. The median age was slightly different, but the drunken partiers are the same.

Now Carnival from Linblad? That's going to be the biggest shocker for your parents. Hope they are open to experiencing new types of cruising.

The four day cruises are much more calm than the 3 dayers. IMHO. I'm currently on the Imagination and it's been pretty tame. It's a great cheap getaway and they can always relax at the Serenity deck with a book.

Edited by Sillyjilly