First Time on SD - what to pack + restaurant recommendations

Dream Vacationer

Any suggestions on what to bring(besides the obvious clothes, toiletries, etc) for a Caribbean cruise would be much appreciated!!!! What sorts of shoes worked best? What did most people wear in the evenings? Anything out of the ordinary that you found particularly useful?

Also - on a slightly different subject(pre/post cruise) - does anyone have any restaurant recommendations for St Thomas? I figure that with all the good food on Sea Dream, we may be wanting something more casual, but still fun.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You are set for a "Dream Vacation" on the Sea Dream.

Don't overpack -- its a pretty casual, non-competitive group (except at the America's Cup regatta) and I don't think anyone notices if you wear the same pants or skirt more than once during your week.

Shoes depend on your activities -- I got by with a pair of Tevas for beaches and climbing the rocks at the Baths; sneakers for the treadmill (ha, ha -- made it a grand total of 1 time during 14 days!!) or walks into port; flip flops for the pool and Balinese beds; and a pair of dress shoes.

Nightime attire is resort casual. No jeans or shorts in the dining room (though several wore dressy shorts and collared shirts for the dinners al fresco); mostly skirts or pants for women; and a sport coat or blazer and khakis for men. I don't remember seeing a tie or suit on either of our two SeaDream cruises except the night they converted the lounge to a disco.

Sometimes, depending on age, the folks going into St. Barts for the night-life dressed a little more "mod" or "hip" -- I'm not "cool" so I don't know the correct term now. Foxy's on Jost VAn Dyke merits T shirt, shorts, and a light jacket (plenty of bug spray too).

One time an older gentleman showed up very early for breakfast in a bath robe and was nicely asked (out of hearing of the other guests) to return when he was more properly attired.

My husband is a shopping addict - so after we disembark in St. Thomas we tend to spend the time roaming the streets looking for the latest and most sophisticated toy he can afford (digital camera, etc) --- but we've eaten at Glady's several times - usually great local cuisine. Restaurants close early on Sundays - so we also sit and drink (hate to pay for it after Seadream) at a place on the Waterfront -- can't remember the name -- but its green, has fans, and is open -- I think its the Greenhouse.

The bartenders make a great Kir Royale and my glass of champagne was never empty.

Be careful upstairs at the Bar when enjoying the "drink of the day" -- they're great, but you have to go down 3 or 4 flights of stairs to dinner --so too many drinks of the day during Happy Hour can make for dangerous walking. O

One of our favorite travel companions on the 2nd cruise started out wearing 4 inch skinny spike heels on the first night to dinner and by the end of the cruise was wearing flip flops everywhere -- but we all say - "What happens on the Sea Dream stays on the Sea Dream" (or at least is reported under fictitious names on this Board).

These are my tips -- but have fun and please post a review of your trip -- we all live vicariously through other travelers as we wait for our next Caviar and Champagne fix. :cool:

Frequent Traveler

Congrats Dream Vacationer... you are in for a wonderful cruise.

Last year when we cruised SD1 in the Caribbean I wore my Chico's traveler - two dress, two pair of pants, skirt, two jackets and a couple of tops - to dinner. I love being able to mix and match. I wore sandals/open-toed shoes with these outfits. During the day it was a bathing suit, cover-up and flip-flops on board and shorts and tops for breakfast and on island.

DH took his navy blazer, four pair of pants, golf shirts, and short-sleeved button down collared shirts. He wore his loafers sans socks or his Docksiders. His day wear was similar to mine.

When we cruise next month (woo hoo) we will take the same types of items.

Coco Joe's is a great place to grab a hamburger and drink ... it is right on the beach at the Marriott. It is about a 10-minute cab ride from Havensight (where SD usually docks).

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you your help! This at least gives me an idea of what to take. I was getting concerned after looking at the pictures on the web site that you needed a lot dressier clothes for dinner than what you are describing. And since I always tend to over pack anyway, it's good to know as much as possible in advance.

The best advice I could give you on packing is to lay everything you THINK you will need for the week on the bed ... then take 50 percent as that is all you will need:p

FT has covered all the bases!

My biggest issue is how many books to pack:D

Archived