Contemplating Alaska Land and Sea Journey on HAL

LizardBeth

I've been looking at cruises and would like to consider this itinerary on HAL, Y2L:15-DAY YUKON+TRIPLE DENALI. It seems to be a good combination of Land sites coupled with the highlights of cruising the glaciers. I can't find any feedback from others on cruise critic that may have used an itinerary like this. Does anyone have feedback about this option?

It appeals to me since we get to stay in Denali for 3 nights and go to Yukon, which my DH would enjoy. It also goes to a lot of the ports that a cruise ship would stop at. So, I was wondering if it would be more enjoyable seeing these ports as a Land option without the multitudes that are on a cruise ship? I don't have a feel for how popular the HAL Land and Sea Journey's are. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have so many logistical questions that I'm sure HAL can answer but I would like to hear from a consumer that has experienced it. Thanks for your help!

BTW: I did check the roll calls and this type of itinerary is not there, if it is please point me in the right direction.

I've been looking at cruises and would like to consider this itinerary on HAL, Y2L:15-DAY YUKON+TRIPLE DENALI. It seems to be a good combination of Land sites coupled with the highlights of cruising the glaciers. I can't find any feedback from others on cruise critic that may have used an itinerary like this. Does anyone have feedback about this option?

It appeals to me since we get to stay in Denali for 3 nights and go to Yukon, which my DH would enjoy. It also goes to a lot of the ports that a cruise ship would stop at. So, I was wondering if it would be more enjoyable seeing these ports as a Land option without the multitudes that are on a cruise ship? I don't have a feel for how popular the HAL Land and Sea Journey's are. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have so many logistical questions that I'm sure HAL can answer but I would like to hear from a consumer that has experienced it. Thanks for your help!

BTW: I did check the roll calls and this type of itinerary is not there, if it is please point me in the right direction.

I took this tour last year. It's a great trip and gives you time in each location so that you can really experience the area. You will take the White Pass and Yukon Railroad down into Skagway where you will have two nights before you meet your ship for a four day cruise where you will visit Glacier Bay and Ketchikan. Look on the Holland America cruise critic site for my comments to someone about the R2L which is a variation of the Y2L.

Holland America has been doing cruise tours for many, many years and they are very well organized. On the roll calls you will find people who are on cruises. Cruise tours are not often listed separately.

Look at the 2015 Alaska trip reports sticky at the top of the Alaska page. HAL is the only cruisetour that goes into the Yukon.

Edited by oaktreerb
add

HAL cruisetours are very popular, and the 15 dayer you are looking at would be a great one. I was limited in time off from work so only took the 11 dayer, but enjoyed it immensely.

We sailed Northbound from Vancouver, with only 3 days on the ship, debarking in Skagway for the journey North to Whitehorse & Dawson City. Then back into Alaska at Eagle, Chicken, Tok, Fairbanks, Denali and ending in Anchorage.

I was astounded when we met in the showroom for our intro to our cruise director. There were about 20 cruise directors and the showroom was full of passengers ready to disembark for cruisetours. Not all of the 2000+ passengers on the ship continue on a land tour, but plenty of them do.

We had 40 on our coach (1A) and travelled in tandem with another coach (1B)with 40, so a crowded 80 passengers when we stopped at the various locations. But comforting to know you had company on the desolate roads if needed. We would lead one day, then the other coach would lead for a day so the same folks didn't always get in first.

We did not purchase the meal vouchers (as we thought we could eat cheaper) but after seeing the other folks just present their vouchers for meals, wish we had gone ahead with the extra expense. We usually had a good breakfast, but being on the coach all day there wasn't really time for much in the way of lunch, so arriving into the towns between 5:30 & 6:30 we were ready to eat a good dinner, not hunt around for a restaurant that was open and could accommodate 4 people quickly. We usually ended up eating at the hotel restaurant as they were prepared to handle the crowd from the coaches. And the convenience of the vouchers was noted.

We only booked one additional excursion (Husky Homestead at Denali). I had been a fan of the Iditarod for a few years and saw Jeff King win the race in 2006 and wanted to meet him and see his dogs. Fortunately HAL offered the tour, even with our limited 1 night stay at Denali. We were able to squeeze in the Homestead tour before we left the next day at noon.

We felt HAL did a superior job. Not everyone likes coach tours, and a lot on this board advocate DIY, but I love coach tours. Tell me where to be and what time to be there. I'll sit back and enjoy the scenery, leaving the driving and worry of getting from place A to B to the driver, as well as schlepping the luggage each day. And when the coach broke down, the driver & the tour director were in touch with HQ to get us back on the road quickly.

Just make sure the cruisetour goes where you want to go, and offers tours of what you want to see or do. I knew I wanted to see the Yukon as well as Interior Alaska, so looked for a cruisetour that included both destinations. The only two things I would change if I were to go again, would be at least 2 nights at each destination and purchase the meal voucher program.

Have a great trip whatever you decide to do! Alaska is an awesome destination!

HAL cruisetours are very popular, and the 15 dayer you are looking at would be a great one. I was limited in time off from work so only took the 11 dayer, but enjoyed it immensely.

Just wanted to add my thanks for this post. I've recently booked a cruisetour with HAL - Double Denali with a seven-day cruise and then two nights in Denali - and though the tour is quite different your info is invaluable.

If anyone else has done one of these, I'd love to hear their thoughts, too.

We did this cruisetour in May and had a wonderful time. The only negative was some excursions were not yet running but I think HAL's tour are starting a little later in 2016.

My review is posted in 2 parts. The first deals with the land tour, "From Anchorage to Skagway" (Denali, Fairbanks, Dawson Whitehorse) and the second part is listed is the 4 day Cruise from Skagway to Vancouver" on the Noordam (Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Inside Passage).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2216641

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2217184

sotiris, when you mention the "Dog Demo" in your write-up, is that part of the tour or a separate excursion? I was interested in the "Husky Homestead" excursion but am wondering if (hoping that) it is different than what you describe.

Thank you for the info!!

sotiris, when you mention the "Dog Demo" in your write-up, is that part of the tour or a separate excursion? I was interested in the "Husky Homestead" excursion but am wondering if (hoping that) it is different than what you describe.

Thank you for the info!!

The Sled Dog Demo is a free 40 minute presentation by the Rangers of Denali. You catch a special shuttle from the Visitor Centre to the kennels.

The "Husky Homestead" excursion is something different.

The Sled Dog Demo is a free 40 minute presentation by the Rangers of Denali. You catch a special shuttle from the Visitor Centre to the kennels.

The "Husky Homestead" excursion is something different.

Thanks. Glad to hear.

Thank you for the info!!

Krista,

While the dog demo at Denali by the rangers is informative, I believe it is about an hour demo. You can pet some of the dogs.

The Husky Homestead tour is a fantastic 3 hour tour. You get to hold the pups, see a presentation of the dogs in the lot and finish with a demonstration by Jeff King in the barn. Totally different type of presentation with Jeff King (4 time Iditarod Champion). Plus I found it interesting to see Jeff King and his wife at the time, their home and Goose Lake right alongside their home and see the life they lead with their dogs.

If you have the time at Denali, you could maybe do both to see the difference yourself. Have a great trip!

340248549_ThePups.jpg.258f92c3cd1d7d6d55068d45f2ffe566.jpg

384264253_TheMan.jpg.57c6a64885ece306573f9a34a2a28493.jpg

Puppies!! Thanks for the information and pictures. :)

You're very welcome. I was totally enamored with the Husky Homestead Tour. Puppies, yes, be careful you might just want one. But just to see how they live and the intestinal fortitude to live in Alaska and be involved in the Iditarod. I believe when Jeff retired, he sold a lot of his dog kennel to others still running the Iditarod, but now that he has come out of retirement and is again racing, he has plenty of dogs again.

Husky Homestead is on Facebook if you want to take a look. They have an actual website but they don't keep it updated now, like they did before. Jeff's dogs are what's called Alaskan Huskies, not the normal Siberian Huskies most think of when they hear the word "Huskies". I was amazed how small some of the dogs that he raced were. He shares some of his training techniques. It really was quite a learning experience. And you could noticeably see the love between the dogs and the owner.

I hope you have an awesome trip!

You're very welcome. I was totally enamored with the Husky Homestead Tour. Puppies, yes, be careful you might just want one. But just to see how they live and the intestinal fortitude to live in Alaska and be involved in the Iditarod. I believe when Jeff retired, he sold a lot of his dog kennel to others still running the Iditarod, but now that he has come out of retirement and is again racing, he has plenty of dogs again.

Husky Homestead is on Facebook if you want to take a look. They have an actual website but they don't keep it updated now, like they did before. Jeff's dogs are what's called Alaskan Huskies, not the normal Siberian Huskies most think of when they hear the word "Huskies". I was amazed how small some of the dogs that he raced were. He shares some of his training techniques. It really was quite a learning experience. And you could noticeably see the love between the dogs and the owner.

I hope you have an awesome trip!

Can't wait!! Thank you again for all the great info.

Is this the tour that skips Juneau?

I think it depends on the length of the cruise. Our 4 day cruise which started in Skagway(southbound) did not go to Juneau. The 7 day cruise did. I assume the 3 day cruise (northbound) would also stop in Juneau.