Did everyone see these photos?

FitzLA

This ship and the Sensation were being used to house evacuees, so it was empty. It had been in New Orleans post Hurrican Katrina, and when Rita was on her way, they sent it out to sea until the storm passed. I think the pics were taken from either sensation or coast guard ship.

Those pictures make me sea sick! But I know being on the Gulf Coast hours from the storm, and the seas were kicking up here! So since they went out to sea to ride it out then it must have been terrible. Does look like a toy getting tossed around, and the sky is so gray. I know i would not want to be on a ship caught in a storm like that :( You don't want to mess with Mother Nature!

I am having a hard time believing these are real pictures.

Well, believe it. Why does there always have to be a non-believer? Anyway, the 2 ships, Ecstasy and Sensation were in New Orleans housing evacuees and resue workers. When Rita was on her way, they had to move the ship out to sea as the storm surge could have pushed the ships ashore. Anway, these were taken while riding out the storm at sea. Only people on board were crew members.

The pix were taken from the Sensation of the Ecstasy while off of Mobile Bay. They were trying to enter the port of Mobile but the seas were so rough the bar pilots were not able to board and so they never made it into port. They returned to NO after riding out the storm at sea off of Mobile. They reportedly had about 550 crew each and a little over 100 pax each that had stayed on board when they left NO.

http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1127640235114680.xml&coll=3

050927_carnivalcruise_hlg_9p.hlarge.jpg

Ecstasy did survive and made it back to NO though.

Great pics! We hit some rough seas enroute to Bermuda back in 2003, the Captain said the swells were about 20-25 feet. I have some pics of the surf in the pool, but nothing that would compare to this. Thanks so much for the link.

Gail

Archived