Italian Crew?

Alessandrina

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, the majority of the top jobs are filled by Italians :)

The rest of the crew are a high mix of Eastern Europeans, some of the friendliest people I have ever met! Though a lot of the waiters are still local from Naples!

Over the years I have noticed more Asians being employed, and there are always a fair few Brazilians in the entertainment team... gotta watch them dance!

I love the cosmopolitan style of the staff - makes for interesting conversations and new languages being learnt! :D

Yo-

On our last trip on the "Lirica" our room stewardess and her assistant were from Madagascar (an island off of the Southeast coast of Africa - yup - I had to look it up) and they said that like 70 more of the crew were also from Madagascar - another thing - you would think that they would be like black Africans - but they were more like India indians in general appearance - and just the greatest folks too...............

Another of the fine and unusual features of MSC-

Mike

We were on the Opera in Sept and hung out with the young officers all week. They are all Italian and from Naples. Their English is ok, but they love to try speaking with Americans. The security staff is all israeli and speaks great english. The front desk is rude horrible italian women who do not even try to speak english. The cruise was great I would go again.

I was on Sinfonia in May, and we found that the captain and officers were mainly italian. So were a lot of the waiters. But most of the bar staff and some (junior) waiters were Balinese - these people were fun, great to talk to, and spoke good english.

I have to say that we had no problems with the 'front desk' people. I would simly start a conversation with an english phrase - eg, Good Morning! or whatever - and they would switch easily into English. And they were always helpful.

Oh, the english hostess was an Austalian, and was very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Lirica in late October in the Mediterranean. The captain and his staff were mainly Italian and so were many of the dining room waiters. The top folks in the dining room were all Italian, and yes, mostly from the Naples area. The other large nationality in the dining room was Indonesian, with many from Bali. Our cabin attendant was from Bali and she was wonderful. Our waiter, Salvatore, was also wonderful. The spa staff is also Indonesian and I, too, met Bulgarians and Indians on the bar staff. I enjoyed meeting the staff and crew very much. I found everyone to be helpful and pleasant to deal with. I've been on many cruises and the Lirica staff/crew was great!

Archived