Diapers allowed in kid's program on Sapphire???

want2cruisenow

We will be sailing on the Sapphire in October with my niece who will have just turned 3. She is in the beginning stages of potty training, but so far is having a very tough time with it an we are afraid that she will not be completely trained by the cruise.

Does Princess' kid's program allow children in diapers to attend?

No, Princess specifically states that children in the kids program must be fully potty trained. On one of our cruises two years ago, a little boy was not allowed back in the kids program after an accident, so they seem to take this pretty seriously.

Soprano, thanks for the reply.

I seem to remember reading a prior post that says the kid's program age has been lowered from age 3 to age 2 on the new Diamond and Sapphire. So I'm thinking that they may have changed the potty-training rules since many 2 year olds are not fully potty trained.

Also, I was on a Princess ship to Alaska about 5 years ago that allowed 2 year olds in their program and they did allow diapers as long as the parents came to change them.

Can anyone who has sailed on the Diamond confirm whether diapers are allowed?

Thanks!

Well, we were just on the Diamond last week, and I know that the kids program was for ages 3 and up (although I did note that the sign on the door with the younger ages on it was not a permanent sign, like the ones for the older age groups). We didn't specifically ask about diapers since this wasn't an issue for the children in our party. We did use the younger kids room several time with our one year old (parents must stay) without any problem.

Thanks again for the reply, Soprano. I am confused about the age limit thing because I have found on the CruiseCritic Sneak Peak Review that the minimum age is 2, but everywhere else I have found it says 3. I guess CruiseCritic could be wrong.

But age isn't so much the issue since she will have just turned 3. I was just thinking that they might have looser potty-training rules with 2 year olds in the program. We do have five months to work with her, but so far she is adamantly refusing to even discuss the potty!

I think that the reason behinf the rule and the fact that they adhere to it so strongly is related to the fact that this is a very easy way for some of the GI illnesses to pass on a cruiseship. The Norwalk outbreaks are a nightmare and this is one precaution that they can take pretty easily.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

I have a group going on the Diamond with a 2 or less year old in November. I asked my Princess rep about the 2 or 3 issue, and she said 3 was the lowest age they could participate in the programs (and be left behind). Whatever we all read about 2year olds being allowed in the programs was apparantly incorrect.

She did say the younger ones could go to the play area if the parents stayed with them.

Hope this helps!

Suzy

NEXT --> Diamond Princess 5/1/04 Coastal Who's with me?

Monarch family weekend 10/15/04 & Grand Galveston 12/11/04

Star Princess icon_biggrin.gif 10/18/03 -- Wind Star Honeymoon icon_biggrin.gif 11/14/03

Star Princess Wedding icon_biggrin.gif 9/24/03 -- Mercury icon_biggrin.gif 10/5/03

Vision of the Seas icon_smile.gif 10/28/02 -- Amsterdam icon_smile.gif 4/22/03

Sun Princess icon_biggrin.gif 5/10/02 -- Star Princess icon_biggrin.gif 6/15/02

Carnival Holiday icon_frown.gif 9/8/00

When we were on the grand in August the rule seemed to be that diapers were allowed (my 3 yo was just out of them), but parents had to carry a pager and change things themselves. It may vary depending upon how crowded things are.

want2cruisenow--it is time for the "6 day $60 method". No pants or underpants or anything below the waist for 6 days....she will train herself. The $60 is for the carpet shampooer rental icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif. Seriously I know several people that this method has worked for. Good luck!!!

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

Thanks everybody for sharing your experiences with this issue. Based on the replies here, it seems like it really does depend on what cruise you are on. That is probably why I can't find an answer on Princess' website or in their brochures. I guess we will have to hope that either our cruise does allow them or that she decides to cooperate (she has become a bit stubborn on the issue) before we sail.

dosi--thanks for the suggestion. I too have heard good things about that method, but my sister is very hesitant to try it on her brand new carpet! However, I'm guessing that as we get closer and closer to our trip, she will become more desperate and may give it a try.

Archived