On Carnival * Do they still have an open bar @ Captains dinner meeting?

DiveCruiser

As Randy said, yes there still is an open bar (at least there was on the Valor in July) and one thing to keep in mind....

....you do not have to just choose from whatever drinks the waitstaff is bringing around on their trays, you can order what you want from them and they will get if for you.

It's generally the first formal night; time and location will be announced in the Capers. On Victory, it was in the Adriatic Lounge; on Conquest, the main location was the Degas Lounge but the nearby lounges also were part of the reception. There are separate receptions for the main and late dinner seatings. And yes, the drinks are free - they also have some pretty good appetizers.

Yes ....it's still happening.:D

Last couple years they have had an oppen bar the night of the Captains Dinner when you meet in the louges, is that still so???

Bob

Does this mean you can go to a bar on captains night instead of taking the drinks they serve to youat the party? Also is it limited to certain bars?

Thanks Lizabet623

Does this mean you can go to a bar on captains night instead of taking the drinks they serve to youat the party?
Yes. You are not restricted to the drinks on the trays being offered by the wandering servers.
Also is it limited to certain bars?
Yes, only the lounge(s) where the Captain's Cocktail Party is being held. You cannot go to the pool bar and expect to get free drinks.

Yes. You are not restricted to the drinks on the trays being offered by the wandering servers.........
I read that here before our last cruise on the Victory, but when I asked for a drink other than what they offered the server said they couldn't do that. Not sure if it varies by ship or if the server just didn't want to get a special order...... maybe if I had given him a picture of one of our dead Presidents he would have been more accommodating ;).

John

On the Miracle the party was held in the Phantom lounge. The servers made it around so that each person was offered two free drinks and appetizers. We did ask for a glass of water. The server said she would bring it, but she never did.

We also learned on our last cruise (Liberty 9/6) that if you happen to sit near where the bartenders enter the lounge, you have your choice of the drinks on their FULL trays rather than whats left after they've circulated. For the most part, we got as much of what we wanted (manhattens, champagne, beer, etc.) almost continuously.

Is this something that's for all of the guests? How do we know when and where it is? Capers? Is it the first formal night? Free drinks?? :D

On every Carnival cruise, no matter what length, formal night dinner (your second night on board) is preceded by the Captain's Welcome Aboard Party, held in the main show lounge. Complimentary drinks and hors d'oeuvres; the Captain and usually the CD, will be at the entrance to the lounge and shake hands with passengers; then he goes on stage and introduces his staff, and the ship's band plays. There is an announcement in the Capers. Of course, every passenger is invited.

I read that here before our last cruise on the Victory, but when I asked for a drink other than what they offered the server said they couldn't do that. Not sure if it varies by ship or if the server just didn't want to get a special order...... maybe if I had given him a picture of one of our dead Presidents he would have been more accommodating ;).

John

I am just back from the Conquest, and the Captain's party was held in the Degas Lounge and surrounding bars. The dead Presidents definitely kept the waiters coming back. We didn't order anything special, but we never had an empty glass either.

There are separate receptions for the main and late dinner seatings.

Actually, on the Celebration in April, there was only one party between seatings. This was our first time on a smaller ship and were expecting to see the seperate parties. Since we were full from dinner, we didn't eat as many of the tasty appetizers, but I am pleased to report the drinks were as strong as ever!:D

On the Miracle the party was held in the Phantom lounge. The servers made it around so that each person was offered two free drinks and appetizers. We did ask for a glass of water. The server said she would bring it, but she never did.

You had better luck that I did on the Miracle. We only got one - - and a small one at that. I did see more knowledgable people special ordering their drinks. I will do so in the future OR go up to the bar myself for a refill.

You had better luck that I did on the Miracle. We only got one - - and a small one at that. I did see more knowledgable people special ordering their drinks. I will do so in the future OR go up to the bar myself for a refill.

We learned from CC:) before our first cruise to order what we wanted. We got it on the Destiny and Victory at both Captain's and Past Guest parties.

It is quicker if you go to the bar, but the dead presidents will work if you want to sit.

Just back from the Celebration, and the Captain's cocktail party was better then expected. The free liquor was flowing like a waterfall!! :D

And the hot appetizers were great (especially the meatballs!!).

It was in the Astoria Lounge. The orchestra played big band music while couples danced on stage and then the captain was introduced by the CD. Then the captain introduced the senior officers. It was a lovely pre-dinner event.

Archived