Norfolk As Departure Port?

wahokie

Does anyone know if any cruise lines are considering Norfolk, Va as a departure port for the future? It was used by Celebrity last spring and part of the summer but not much is scheduled for 2006 as they are construting the new terminal. Any buzz about 2007?

I don't know what future plans are, but we cruised out of there May 2004 on Horizon to Bermuda. There was a wonderful group of people on board. One of our best cruises to date. Hopefully, Celebrity will consider it once again.

Patty

We left end of May 2004 to Bermuda also and it was an alright port. Parking was too far away. Getting to the ship from the parking lot was not hard, but getting to the lot from the ship was long. Everyone at once wanted the shuttle bus, other than that it wasn't a bad experiance.

It is in the middle of a large tourist area so there is traffic from the tourists and travelers. There are lots of shops and areas to eat if you get to the ship too early to board so that is nice.

HAL sends the Maasdam out of Norfolk but the ship does not get good reviews (neither on line nor from friends who have sailed on her.) We are hoping for the return of Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. The new terminal should be great. We sailed to Bermuda in June and were unloaded and on the ship in 10 minutes. Norfolk has lots to do in the terminal area with an upscale mall and other venues within walking distance. I would sail more often and so would many of my friends if we did not have to fly but could leave locally. Tried Baltimore but that was not a good experience. Philly was also not on a par with the Norfolk port. Even the crew on the Horizon said they liked to come to Norfolk. I am sailing the Radiance in April out of Miami but would take my whole family out of Norfolk as well if the cruise line was right.

Archived