Boots in Southampton

JLT

Thank you all so much. I am sailing on the Rotterdam (HAL) on Jan 8. We are taking their transfer from Heathrow early that am so I was planning to go there after checking in. The ship doesn't sail until 6. And we'll be gone 3 months!!

Thank you all so much. I am sailing on the Rotterdam (HAL) on Jan 8. We are taking their transfer from Heathrow early that am so I was planning to go there after checking in. The ship doesn't sail until 6. And we'll be gone 3 months!!

Hi, Jean,

Your ship is scheduled to sail from Ocean Cruise Terminal.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/live_information/shipping_movements_and_cruise_ship_schedule/cruise_ship_schedule/

Address is Cunard Road, Southampton SO14 3QN

Your transfer from the airport is non-stop & takes about 90 minutes.

The main Boots store in Above Bar is a good 15 minutes from your cruise terminal - not particularly convenient but it is the nearest pharmacy / drugstore to Ocean Cruise Terminal.

Turn left out of the port gate, walk past God's Tower then opposite the Red Funnel ferry, turn right into the High Street. All the way up High Street to the historic Bargate. Boots is just past the Bargate on the left-hand side on the main pedestrianized shopping street, called Above Bar.

And just beyond Boots is an entrance to the large West Quay Mall ( nb. that's West Quay Mall, not the same place as West Quay Retail Park where there's another large Boots).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/50.9033282,-1.4040489/Cunard+Rd,+Southampton+SO14+3QN,+UK/@50.8989104,-1.406356,16z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!3m4!1m2!1d-1.4040371!2d50.9032152!3s0x487476b6980ec41f:0x5264a76b52af7a0e!3m4!1m2!1d-1.4007828!2d50.895589!3s0x487476cb9ee8dc4d:0xb86fe0d73ebc6755!1m5!1m1!1s0x487476cc83b5247b:0x9abc3934a36fa0fb!2m2!1d-1.4001368!2d50.8943747!3e2

There'll be taxis at the cruise terminal and several taxi stands in the city centre if you're short of time or energy.

Do check your all-aboard time when you register - remember you'll have lifeboat drill before you sail.

Bon Voyage

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

seems that you are very familiar with the port as well as airport and you are very helpful with information.

Would you please give me some suggestions:

I am looking at a cruise from Florida to Southampton arriving on may 21, 2016.

What options do I have to get to the airport (LHR) from the cruise terminal and what is the cost. ( for two people) ..... or should we purchase the transfer offered by the cruise line ?

I /we will be flying to WAW and I am not sure if flying from LHR to WAW is the best option or should I be looking for a different airport

that has better service to WAW

Thank you.

Edited by wieslaw

Hi,

seems that you are very familiar with the port as well as airport and you are very helpful with information.

Would you please give me some suggestions:

I am looking at a cruise from Florida to Southampton arriving on may 21, 2016.

What options do I have to get to the airport (LHR) from the cruise terminal and what is the cost. ( for two people) ..... or should we purchase the transfer offered by the cruise line ?

I /we will be flying to WAW and I am not sure if flying from LHR to WAW is the best option or should I be looking for a different airport

that has better service to WAW

Thank you.

Hi,

For a pre-booked car try http://www.smithsforairports.com or http://www.westquaycars.com

For National Express coaches http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx Add about £8 for a taxi from your cruise terminal to Southampton coach station.

For trains http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ Add about £8 for a taxi from your cruise terminal to Southampton Central train station.

From the port to Southampton Airport (SOU) takes about 20 minutes & costs £20 for a taxi, less for a pre-booked car or by train or bus. Most cruise lines don't offer a transfer to SOU airport.

There are no direct flights, but you can fly SOU to AMS and AMS to WAW.

From the port to London Heathrow (LHR) best options are either

- pre-booked car at about £85, journey time about 90 minutes but allow at least 2 hrs in case of traffic delays.

- or National Express direct coach service at about £18 per person, journey time 2hrs+.

- there are also frequent trains from Southampton Central station, but there's no direct train service to Heathrow - your train tickets at about £40 per person include a coach shuttle to Heathrow from the nearest train station, Woking or Reading depending on the train time. Total journey time 2 hours+. Expensive & inconvenient compared to the other options.

- most cruise lines offer a port to Heathrow transfer, I can't say whether it's a good option because the price varies a lot - last time I knew, Princess was around $60 per person but RCI was over $100 per person.

Direct flights from LHR by British Airways or LOT.

From the port to London Gatwick (LGW)

- best option is by train. Hourly direct service costs about £15 per person & takes about 2 hours. There are more frequent trains but they're not direct & they're more expensive. There's no direct train service on a sunday.

- or National Express direct coach service. £15 per person or less, journey time about 2hrs 30.

- a pre-booked car will cost a little over £100 & takes about 2 hrs.

- most cruise lines offer a port to Gatwick transfer, same comments as for Heathrow.

Direct flights from LGW by Norwegian Air International.

From the port to Birmingham International (BHX).

- I don't know the cost of a pre-booked car (? about £125 to £135 ?), journey time about 2 hrs 30.

- Best option is by train. Hourly direct service costs about £27 per person (but about £80 :eek: for trains before 10am)and takes 2hrs 20.

- National Express coach is infrequent, comparatively expensive, time-consuming.

- Cruise lines don't generally offer transfers.

Direct flights from BHX by Wizz Air.

There are direct flights from London Stansted (STN) by Ryanair, but Stansted is expensive, time-consuming & inconvenient from Southampton.

So you have quite a fair choice, and there may be other airports/flights that I'm unaware of.

Once you've dug into flight times & costs and narrowed down your options, we can advise the earliest fight time that you should consider.

Hope this helps.

Direct flights from Bristol Airport too with Ryanair. Looks cheap too and you can get a train to Bristol Temple Meads and a bus or taxi to the airport.

I think SOU>AMS>WAW is the best bet if the times work out.

So you have quite a fair choice, and there may be other airports/flights that I'm unaware of.

Once you've dug into flight times & costs and narrowed down your options, we can advise the earliest fight time that you should consider.

Hope this helps.

Hello ,

Thank you so very much. So many options to consider.

I will look at the flights available , the times and the cost ..... and then will see what the best option will be for us to get to the airport.

Mr. John Bull I do appreciate the information that you provided ..... you are a very kind and helpful person ........ I see that in most of your posts.

Bob++ thank you as well .

Wishing both of you a wonderful day.