Goff's Caye boat question

Sooner-Cruisers

Hello, we are considering a trip to this island, it looks like the boats are a little smaller speed boats. Our party will have several that have had knee surgeries/replacements. I was hoping that some of you can share your experience getting on and off these boats and if it was difficult.

If you know of a vendor that uses a bigger boat that's easier to disembark, that'd be great too.

Thanks in advance, I've searched like crazy for this info, even emailing the company for information and haven't found anything or received a reply.

I went to Goff's Caye with Exotic Eco Adventure doing a snorkel trip and the boat was fairly small and very difficult to get into. There were several elderly and overweight people that really struggled. You basically have to be able to climb in and out.

Hi, thanks for your reply! It was actually that thread that got me looking for more information.

Did people have trouble getting on and off at the dock or was the trouble getting in and out of the water to snorkel? I assumed snorkeling was out, but I'm hoping going to the island together will be possible. :)

You may also want to check into the fact that I don't believe there are any chairs on the island. I read somewhere that you should bring beach towels and be prepared to sit on them. This may be difficult with knee injuries.

There are picnic tables and a nice gentleman renting chairs. Regular chairs were $5 and loungers were $10. There were more folks selling crafts than when we were there a few years ago but the island is still beautiful and the rum punch that Rojo with Belize Ecotours made was excellent :D

Their boat is smaller and holds about 40 people. It is a big step to get in and out but they help you both ways.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Goff's Caye last week. We used Exotic Eco Adventures. The island is beautiful. However, we were there during Thanksgiving week so the beach was super crowded. Don't be deceived by the photos on TripAdvisor. The island is tiny. There are very few spots to sit down, so beach goers are right on top of each other. The sand is rough and more of rock/small shell sort of beach. You will probably need water shoes. I am glad I packed mine.

Now speaking directly to the question of the boat ride. It is a rough and bumpy ride out to the caye. An older gentleman with back problems had to move farther to the back of the boat. Most boats that service the caye are small. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride both ways because it felt like being on a fast "Log Ride". I like to go fast on the water. :D

Bernie with Exotic Eco Adventures was excellent. My young family chose not to go snorkeling from the boat. Bernie personally helped my 7 year old daughter after he came back from the tour. He taught her to use a snorkel and held her hand as they swam around the island to show her fish and sea creatures. Everyone with Exotic Eco was super-friendly and helpful. I was more than happy with the service we received from them. My husband and my daughters had a great day at the beach and in the water, but it was just a little too packed for my liking. Could be the time of year? I will say...it was a great way to spend my Thanksgiving morning. :D

I just want others to know about the beach conditions/situation so that they can determine for themselves if it's right for them.

Are the travelers elderly with knee replacements or younger? I think that may have some bearing on the decision. Our guides helped EVERYONE into and out of the boat regardless of age or gender. Everything is sort of moving. They lifted my 3 year old into the boat. I was travelling with my DH(37), DD (7), DD (5) and DD (3). We had several seniors with us as well. The only guy that sort of complained was the one with back problems.

Here is the type of boat most vendors use to get out to the island.

goff-s-caye.jpg

Would your friends and family be able to get into and out of this boat?

Let me use an amusement park comparison. Have you ever been on one of those huge inner tube like rides at Six Flags or Disney World? The kind that fits around 12 people into a circle and the boat/tube travels down some rapids and someone always gets stuck under the falls. Anyway...it's like climbing down into that. The guides were more concerned with people that had back problems as it is a bumpy ride.

Let me know if I you have any other questions. I will try to be helpful. :)

Nicole