Puerta Vallarta: Dolphin Swim vs Dolphin Encounter?

scrapcreator

went to wildlifeconnections.com and got a hunting site! Is this the right one? Couldn't find anything about tours or dolphins, just a lot of pictures of people smiling next to dead deer... :-) sorry, no offense to hunters out there, just can't stand to see that.

seabreezer -

have you gone on a tour with wildlifeconnection? If so, what was your experience? Did you snorkel with the dolphins? Their website doesn't mention getting in the water with them, unless I missed something...

I didn't get to go on a Wildlife Connection tour but I corresponded by email with one of the biologists while planning my last rip to PV. The email address is on the website and you can get any info you need directly from them. He strongly suggested that we would probably get into the water with them. They are familiar with the 350 dolphins they track all over the bay and know when there's a good chance to paddle around with them.

• 1 month later...

The couple we are going with has children and they really wanted to get the kids to swim with the dolphins! Any idea on the price for this? Is it a tour or do they just have to get there then pay!

I booked on-line. Kids Encounter (4-8) were around $50, and adults were free (adults just watch). We were on Princess and you could have booked through them. I think their prices were $75 for kids and $25 for each adult...this did include transportation where booking on-line did not.

If I remember correctly, slight problem I had was ship time versus local time. I got e-mailed a time to be there (say 10am). Well if it was local time that would be 9am ship time. Anyway, long story short the time quoted was ship time and we ended up getting there 1hour early. Just wanted to throw that out there as an FYI.

Happy new year fellow cruisers.

Lynn

Thank u so much for the reply ML! I have a few more questions for you! The encounter is what exactly, I have read about encounters and swims. How far from the cruise ship terminal was the place you took the kids too? Did they enjoy it? How much was the cab! Thank you so much!

Hi Nilla~

I knew I should have written this stuff down. Can't remember what I did yesterday, so going back to October is darn near impossible for me.

Here goes...

My son was 5 and absolutely loved the encounter. He was a little nervous leading up to arriving but once there he got into it. There was a group of about 10 kids (age 4-8) and they stood at the end of the dolphin pool on a metal platform. So standing on this platform they were techinically "in the water", but only the lower part of their legs and feet. Life jackets were provided.

The trainers had the kids do the motions for the dolphin to do tricks, they got to feed the dolphin a fish, got a kiss from the dolphin and then rode on the back of a trainer who was riding on the dolphin (around a small circle).

They got to hear all about dolphins and ask questions. I think it lasted for about 35 minutes.

We took a taxi and I want to say it was around $25. But again, can't remember exactly. I think this was the place where if you got a different color taxi it was cheaper. But I think I messed up and got taken for more money than I should have spent. Oh well...we made it there and had a great time. Any other questions, just holler.

Take care.

Lynn

The Dolphins Kids program is only for kids 4-8 years old - adults just watch, they're not in the water.

The Dolphin Encounter is the program described above - on a platform in the water with an opportunity to interact with the dolphins and to have them do tricks for you. This is for ages 5 and up. Good for people who are scared of the water or who are too young for the full swim.

The Swim With Dolphins activity is for ages 8 and up, and you're actually in the water with the dolphins, swimming with them (or floating with them in your lifejacket - you don't have to be a good swimmer for this activity - just not scared of the water). This is the best of the three by far - it is worth the extra price, IMHO. You'll never forget this experience.

Yes, at the cruise port there are white taxis that are more expensive. You can walk past them and grab a yellow taxi that is cheaper off the highway.

Johann & Sandra

It seems you have first hand knowledge of the different options for the Dolphins. I am on Princess and booked the Dolphin swim for my husband, son & his girlfriend (20 yr olds) and our kids ages 11 & 8. For my mother and I we booked the Dolphin Encounter. Both of our excursions are booked 11:15 - 2:15.

With doing the Dolphin Encounter, will my mom and I be able to watch the kids & rest of the family doing the Dolphin swim?

Do you know how expensive the video is?

Johann & Sandra

It seems you have first hand knowledge of the different options for the Dolphins. I am on Princess and booked the Dolphin swim for my husband, son & his girlfriend (20 yr olds) and our kids ages 11 & 8. For my mother and I we booked the Dolphin Encounter. Both of our excursions are booked 11:15 - 2:15.

With doing the Dolphin Encounter, will my mom and I be able to watch the kids & rest of the family doing the Dolphin swim?

Do you know how expensive the video is?

hello ive heard the video is like 35 $ ,, are you doing this in PV?

i found out today that you can book it online through them,, and its much cheaper,, we are going there on NCL star and i called them and I was told I can book it.... the cruise doesnt block it... it saves about 70 $ per person... their number is 1888-303-2653 www.dolphin-adventures.com

i also have heard that someone can come with you to watch,, thats no problem..... check out the website

Awesome information. I will call them and ask them my questions directly and also book through them. There is a 10% discount off of internet bookings too! So it's even cheaper. Dolphin Encounter $54 vs. ship price $99. Dolphin Swim $115 vs. $169 on ship... (I think those were the prices).

Yes, people can come and watch - if you book through the ship, there may be a charge since it includes transportation. If booking outside the ship, you'll take a taxi to the facility, so there should be no extra charge.

The video I believe is about $35.

Interesting to read that they are offering booking outside the ship - they've never allowed that before if booking directly with them, only through third-party agencies and only then if they don't know you're on a ship. I'll have to check into this a little...

yeah i told them i was coming on a cruise ship,, they asked me which one... and then they said yes we can book it ,, and then the nice lady told me to do it online and save 10 %... i was shocked since I thought you couldnt book through them online..... only on the ship... .

we'll see what happens

I just got back from PV Dolphin Adventures and did the Trainer-for-a-Day program. I was very impressed with their professionalism, and the care and affection shown for the dolphins.

I was in a group of only 4 "Trainers" that day. It was a wonderful experience, doing everything they offer (Encounter, Swim, Sea Lion experience), and got a chance to meet with the Vet and found out more in-depth info than one would otherwise. We had about a half-hour in another part of the complex where a mother dolphin & calf stayed, along with other dolphins in training. We were left to interact with them as we wished, short of jumping in with them. (Actually, we were given goggles so we could jump in with a fence separating us from them, to "hear" the dolphins communicating.) We "shadowed" a trainer (in 2 teams of 2) through one of the "swim" sessions, putting vitamins in squid (really!) for the dolphins, and were given the opportunity to do one of the "hand commands" during the "swim" routine. That was unexpected, and quite a treat! Of course, that made it onto the video (for us!).

It's a long day (9:45 to 3:45 or so), but it was a wonderful experience. You are given lunch, a cap & T-shirt, the DVD and a photo. I learned far more during this day than I would have otherwise. Again, the care, and affection, shown the dolphins was undeniable, and I'd highly recommend the program to anyone who has the time in PV and a curiosity for these programs. I have a new-found respect for the dolphins, and the people who interact with them there.

JMHO,

Paul

Great review! thanks Paul :)

after my previous posts,,today i received this email from vallarta adventures... since I sent them an email 1st asking about booking through them directly.. then i called and I was told yes we can,,, and now i got this ,,,

Thank you for your email. You will need to book your excursion with

your

cruise ship's Shore Excursions representative as your cruise will hold

all

available allotments for our programs while it is port. Transportation

to

and from our facilities will be included in the cost and a Vallarta

Adventures representative will be on the pier to greet you as you come

off

the ship. You can either do this once on board your cruise or through

your

cruise ship's website. Thanks!