Fantasy finds unmanned boat

YoGOCraig

I was on the Carnival Fantasy heading back to Charleston, SC on Sunday, Nov 22. Around the Port St Lucie/Port Canaveral area, we stopped at sea (I think we were about 30 miles offshore but could be mistaken on that). There was a small fishing vessel on our port side with no signs of anyone on board. We stayed there for nearly 45 minutes or so and anther fishing vessel showed up. Someone boarded the first boat and confirmed that no one was aboard. The second fishing vessel and our ship then sailed on our way. An announcement on our ship said no one was aboard the first boat. With no lives in danger, we headed on.

I have tried to do some searching to see if I could find out anything about this unmanned boat and the story of what happened but can't find anything. Has anyone heard about this or have any suggestions of where to get more information? I have a pic of the registration number but there was no vessel name on the stern.

Thanks!

Craig

Yep, us too. The boat we had to stop next to was an overturned one probably a good 25 footer+ plus. We slowed by her, and we could see from our balcony that crew and captain had their glasses out checking the water as far as they could see.

Came on with an announcement saying we had just stopped at a capsized boat with no signs of anyone in the area, and the coast guard had been notified then we continued on.

Laws of the sea, even a cruise ship has to lend aid when it is called for.

Edited by wemjam