Ships: Does Size Matter?

Towel Critter

I've never sailed on anything smaller than Conquest class ships, nor larger than Dream class. Well, once, my inaugural cruise, and it was... just okay (RC Majesty of the Seas), but I wasn't sold on cruising until my second cruise, which was on the Valor :). I really have no interest in sailing on anything bigger than the Dream Class. I would, however, like to hear from those of you who believe good cruises come in small packages:cool:. Tell me what I've missed out on, and why I should consider a cruise on a smaller ship. I especially would like to hear from those of you who have sailed both the Conquest class ships and the smaller/older ones... Imagination, Ecstacy, etc... and can compare the two. Also, those of you who believe bigger is better, and huge is best, feel free to chime in with your two cents. You probably won't sell me on cruising on a floating mega mall:rolleyes:, but take your best shot:D.

Thanks.:)

The smaller, older ships, like Carnival Ecstasy (Fantasy Class), have more Ocean View cabins and fewer balconies than Conquest or Dream Class ships. However, it's easier to find you way around the ship and quicker to get from one end to the other. The food and service is, as on any other ship, excellent. The entertainment is outstanding. So, for most other features, Fantasy class ships are about the same as their larger counterparts.

The smaller, older ships, like Carnival Ecstasy (Fantasy Class), have more Ocean View cabins and fewer balconies than Conquest or Dream Class ships. However, it's easier to find you way around the ship and quicker to get from one end to the other. The food and service is, as on any other ship, excellent. The entertainment is outstanding. So, for most other features, Fantasy class ships are about the same as their larger counterparts.

Thanks, but having less balconies is a drawback for me... love my balcony. I would like to try a Fantasy class ship someday though, IF I could land one of their few balconies for a reasonable price. For me, a reasonable price would be less than what it would cost me to get a balcony stateroom on a Conquest, or Dream class ship. Are there any features that Fantasy class ships have that the larger ones do not?

Are there any features that Fantasy class ships have that the larger ones do not?

Features? No. But a few things to consider:

Fantasy class ships have the Serenity deck at the very rear of the ship. The view is amazing and unlike that on any other ship. Last cruise we spent more time there than in our cabin.

The layout is extremely common sense and easy. Combined with being smaller, you are never too far from anything, which makes it much easier to carry food to clubs and other places, or to return to your room to change or pick something up.

Because they are smaller, you feel the ocean quite a bit more and there are few places you can go without seeing the ocean. We find this a huge plus. Some people don't.

Fantasy class ships are usually much cheaper, you can probably fit 3 cruises on one of these for the price of 2 on another ship.

There are some food and a little entertainment options these ships lack, but the real question is if you notice?

Forgot to add this:

Not all fantasy class are equal. Each ship is in its own configuration at this point. Some have extra balconies, 2.0 upgrades, water slides and new renovations. Others have been sailing for 10+ years with only very minor face lifts. If any feature (like balconies) are important to you, research your ships. Some are much easier to come by, while others have just a few.

Features? No. But a few things to consider:

Fantasy class ships have the Serenity deck at the very rear of the ship. The view is amazing and unlike that on any other ship. Last cruise we spent more time there than in our cabin.

The layout is extremely common sense and easy. Combined with being smaller, you are never too far from anything, which makes it much easier to carry food to clubs and other places, or to return to your room to change or pick something up.

Because they are smaller, you feel the ocean quite a bit more and there are few places you can go without seeing the ocean. We find this a huge plus. Some people don't.

Fantasy class ships are usually much cheaper, you can probably fit 3 cruises on one of these for the price of 2 on another ship.

There are some food and a little entertainment options these ships lack, but the real question is if you notice?

Thank you. Well presented. The only one of the things you mentioned that I would see as a real plus for my wife and I is:

"Because they are smaller, you feel the ocean quite a bit more and there are few places you can go without seeing the ocean"

But that's a BIG plus in my opinion. The inverse of that is exactly why I wouldn't be interested in an Oasis of the Seas size ship. I agree Fantasy class ships are usually cheaper, but isn't that mostly because the cruise is shorter? Correct me if I'm wrong. I want to be wrong.

You didn't mention smaller crowds. Is that noticeable? Or is that relative, and a smaller crowd "feels" about the same on a smaller ship as a bigger crowd "feels" on a larger ship? I'm very curious about that aspect.

Thanks again!

For this family of 4, the size of the cabin matters more than anything. Carnival seems to have about the largest cabins I have found without having to go with a suite. Itinerary is next. Most of the smaller ships have limited itineraries or are less than 7 day.

Forgot to add this:

Not all fantasy class are equal. Each ship is in its own configuration at this point. Some have extra balconies, 2.0 upgrades, water slides and new renovations. Others have been sailing for 10+ years with only very minor face lifts. If any feature (like balconies) are important to you, research your ships. Some are much easier to come by, while others have just a few.

Thanks for the tip. Yes, a balcony is very important to me. Which of the Fantasy class ships, in your opinion and experience, are best?

For this family of 4, the size of the cabin matters more than anything. Carnival seems to have about the largest cabins I have found without having to go with a suite. Itinerary is next. Most of the smaller ships have limited itineraries or are less than 7 day.
Yes, I've noticed the limited itineraries and shorter cruises. That's one thing that has kept me, thus far, from trying one, that and limited or no balconies. But, with a Fantasy class ship slated to return to Mobile, I'm giving them a second look. A drive, versus the cost of air fare, make this future option attractive to me. I'm not totally sold yet on the virtues of a smaller ship, but I'm giving them a fair and open-minded look.

I've never sailed on anything smaller than Conquest class ships, nor larger than Dream class. Well, once, my inaugural cruise, and it was... just okay (RC Majesty of the Seas), but I wasn't sold on cruising until my second cruise, which was on the Valor :). I really have no interest in sailing on anything bigger than the Dream Class. I would, however, like to hear from those of you who believe good cruises come in small packages:cool:. Tell me what I've missed out on, and why I should consider a cruise on a smaller ship. I especially would like to hear from those of you who have sailed both the Conquest class ships and the smaller/older ones... Imagination, Ecstacy, etc... and can compare the two. Also, those of you who believe bigger is better, and huge is best, feel free to chime in with your two cents. You probably won't sell me on cruising on a floating mega mall:rolleyes:, but take your best shot:D.

Thanks.:)

Bigger is always better, except if it's your wife or cellmate.

Bigger is always better, except if it's your wife or cellmate.

If you are talking "cruise" - and I'm not real confident you are- I have to disagree. I have zero doubt I would enjoy a cruise on an Oasis of the Seas size ship less than a cruise on a Conquest size ship. I've seen lots of folks comment here, on CC, that you feel cut off from the ocean on those ships. I'd hate that. The thing I dislike about Dream class ships is how the promenade deck juts out beyond the perimeter of the balconies. I made the mistake of booking a balcony on an upper deck on the Dream and was very disappointed that when I looked down from my balcony, all I could see was deck and other cruisers. On the Breeze, I booked a cove balcony, and liked it much better. For me, cove balconies are the saving grace of Dream class ships.

Thank you. Well presented. The only one of the things you mentioned that I would see as a real plus for my wife and I is:

"Because they are smaller, you feel the ocean quite a bit more and there are few places you can go without seeing the ocean"

But that's a BIG plus in my opinion. The inverse of that is exactly why I wouldn't be interested in an Oasis of the Seas size ship. I agree Fantasy class ships are usually cheaper, but isn't that mostly because the cruise is shorter? Correct me if I'm wrong. I want to be wrong.

You didn't mention smaller crowds. Is that noticeable? Or is that relative, and a smaller crowd "feels" about the same on a smaller ship as a bigger crowd "feels" on a larger ship? I'm very curious about that aspect.

Thanks again!

Unfortunately most of the cruises are shorter on these ships yes. A few still do 7 day cruises but most are on the 4-5 day schedule. It makes for a shorter cruise, but on many ships its still cheaper, especially if you have a little date flexibility. When we went on the Elation, we took a 2 day "excursion" of our own in New Orleans before boarding the ship. To us, it was still a 7 day, 3 port vacation for less than going on the Dream.

Crowds are interesting on these ships. It usually doesn't feel very crowded at all. But, due to more limited activities and more limited dining venues, there are time where it feels like the entire ship is in the same place at once. I do believe however that sailing dates are likely to make more of a difference than the ship itself. If school is out, it'll be packed, no matter the ship.

I don't have as much firsthand experience as I do research experience, so I can't tell exactly which ships are best. I used to have a spreadsheet that someone else had made which showed all the features. It seems I've lost it though. Maybe someone else has it handy? I know the Elation and Paradise are two of the more outdated in the class, while the Fantasy and Ecstasy have had more significant renovations. Just don't remember exactly.

Overall, the fantasy class is more "cozy" and convenient. They lack the glitz, glamour and size, but usually offer amazing service and a perfect layout.

And I agree with you about the RC mega ships. We will never cruise RC, not because of anything "bad" but simply because they focus on bringing your attention to the ship's stunning features, whereas it seems Carnival turns your eyes to the sea.

Gah, another add on, sorry:

If the age, features and cruise duration are off putting to you, you may wish to try a Spirit Class ship. There are only a few of them in the fleet, but they are only a tiny bit bigger than Fantasy class ships, but a lot newer. I've seen a lot of people refer to them as the perfect small cruise ship.

The Legend is Carnival's Alaska ship, and if you have the ability, that would be an utterly epic cruise on a spirit class. The Pride is based in Baltimore and it could be a fun experience too.

Yes, I've noticed the limited itineraries and shorter cruises. That's one thing that has kept me, thus far, from trying one, that and limited or no balconies. But, with a Fantasy class ship slated to return to Mobile, I'm giving them a second look. A drive, versus the cost of air fare, make this future option attractive to me. I'm not totally sold yet on the virtues of a smaller ship, but I'm giving them a fair and open-minded look.

Not sure what ship you are getting, but to get a good visual, go to the PortCanaveralwebcam soon. Sensation will be leaving about 4.

Not sure what ship you are getting, but to get a good visual, go to the PortCanaveralwebcam soon. Sensation will be leaving about 4.
I'm not sure which ship we'll get either. I hope it's one with at least a few balconies though. Yeah, the port cams are great. I've watched a few of the Fantasy class ships sail away on them. One thing I noted about them is the location of the life boats, way up high, almost at Lido it appears. Is this a distraction? It seems like it might be.

Gah, another add on, sorry:

If the age, features and cruise duration are off putting to you, you may wish to try a Spirit Class ship. There are only a few of them in the fleet, but they are only a tiny bit bigger than Fantasy class ships, but a lot newer. I've seen a lot of people refer to them as the perfect small cruise ship.

The Legend is Carnival's Alaska ship, and if you have the ability, that would be an utterly epic cruise on a spirit class. The Pride is based in Baltimore and it could be a fun experience too.

Good suggestion. We were booked on the Legend, out of NY, a couple or three years ago and ended up having to cancel. Sigh. I've seen some good comments on here about the Spirit class ships.

Unfortunately most of the cruises are shorter on these ships yes. A few still do 7 day cruises but most are on the 4-5 day schedule. It makes for a shorter cruise, but on many ships its still cheaper, especially if you have a little date flexibility. When we went on the Elation, we took a 2 day "excursion" of our own in New Orleans before boarding the ship. To us, it was still a 7 day, 3 port vacation for less than going on the Dream.

Crowds are interesting on these ships. It usually doesn't feel very crowded at all. But, due to more limited activities and more limited dining venues, there are time where it feels like the entire ship is in the same place at once. I do believe however that sailing dates are likely to make more of a difference than the ship itself. If school is out, it'll be packed, no matter the ship.

I don't have as much firsthand experience as I do research experience, so I can't tell exactly which ships are best. I used to have a spreadsheet that someone else had made which showed all the features. It seems I've lost it though. Maybe someone else has it handy? I know the Elation and Paradise are two of the more outdated in the class, while the Fantasy and Ecstasy have had more significant renovations. Just don't remember exactly.

Overall, the fantasy class is more "cozy" and convenient. They lack the glitz, glamour and size, but usually offer amazing service and a perfect layout.

And I agree with you about the RC mega ships. We will never cruise RC, not because of anything "bad" but simply because they focus on bringing your attention to the ship's stunning features, whereas it seems Carnival turns your eyes to the sea.

Your observations about the crowds seems very reasonable to me. I can imagine them being just as you described. With that in mind, crowds on the smaller ships seem like neither a pro, nor con... a wash perhaps. I like the idea of these ships being cozy. That and the intimacy with the sea seem like their biggest advantages, at least to me.

Nor am I especially interested in being "wowed" by a ship's size and state of the art features, in regard to the super duper mega ships. To me, trying to upstage the grandeur of the ocean itself is silly and excessive. I'm sure it's cool when you first board one of those monstrosities just for the wow factor, but come day 2 my attention would want to turn to the sea, and from what I've read that is far removed in many, if not most, locations on the ship. Bummer. I hope Carnival never goes this route.

Bummer. I hope Carnival never goes this route.

Based on the design of the Vista and some of the new Princess ships, as well as John Heald's shots at the competition, it seems for the most part that Carnival Corp is trying to make this one of the big differences between them and RC.

This isn't to say that an RC cruise is bad. Not bashing them at all. But for two cruise lines that are similar in so many ways, this is one of the core differences. I feel like if I lived somewhere where the ocean was more accessible instead of landlocked Indiana, I might appreciate those ships more. As it is for me though, I'll skip the shows and entertainment. Just put a drink in my hand and the sea in front of me, and I'll happily sail on a barge!

Based on the design of the Vista and some of the new Princess ships, as well as John Heald's shots at the competition, it seems for the most part that Carnival Corp is trying to make this one of the big differences between them and RC.

This isn't to say that an RC cruise is bad. Not bashing them at all. But for two cruise lines that are similar in so many ways, this is one of the core differences. I feel like if I lived somewhere where the ocean was more accessible instead of landlocked Indiana, I might appreciate those ships more. As it is for me though, I'll skip the shows and entertainment. Just put a drink in my hand and the sea in front of me, and I'll happily sail on a barge!

I think that is wise of Carnival. Sometimes it's more productive from a business standpoint to emphasize how you differ from your competitors than to emphasize your similarities.

I've seen a few things about the Vista. The guests to space ratio concerns me a bit. I'm hoping that the design makes this a non-issue. Either way, I hope this is a big as they ever go. Personally, I would have rather seen them build a new Conquest to Dream size ship.

I think that is wise of Carnival. Sometimes it's more productive from a business standpoint to emphasize how you differ from your competitors than to emphasize your similarities.

I've seen a few things about the Vista. The guests to space ratio concerns me a bit. I'm hoping that the design makes this a non-issue. Either way, I hope this is a big as they ever go. Personally, I would have rather seen them build a new Conquest to Dream size ship.

That ratio scares me too. Unfortunately most new ship designs are adding passenger decks and not a lot more space to go with it. I feel like that will continue to get worse until someone builds one that the public just won't book due to crowding.

Carnival seems rather disinterested in the ships getting much bigger though. While I'd love to say it's for the concerns you and I have, it's probably just not financially practical to build ships like Oasis of the Seas for a huge and ever expanding fleet. RC probably had more room to experiment, while Carnival likely needs to stick with designs they can quickly push out a half dozen ships with.

If you are talking "cruise" - and I'm not real confident you are- I have to disagree. I have zero doubt I would enjoy a cruise on an Oasis of the Seas size ship less than a cruise on a Conquest size ship. I've seen lots of folks comment here, on CC, that you feel cut off from the ocean on those ships. I'd hate that. The thing I dislike about Dream class ships is how the promenade deck juts out beyond the perimeter of the balconies. I made the mistake of booking a balcony on an upper deck on the Dream and was very disappointed that when I looked down from my balcony, all I could see was deck and other cruisers. On the Breeze, I booked a cove balcony, and liked it much better. For me, cove balconies are the saving grace of Dream class ships.

I had the opposite experience on the Dream. I was on deck 6. It was an awesome cabin. There were people walking on the deck just below us. I would take that cabin over a cove any day. And if I had a choice, it's a mega cruise ship rather than a small one.

I had the opposite experience on the Dream. I was on deck 6. It was an awesome cabin. There were people walking on the deck just below us. I would take that cabin over a cove any day. And if I had a choice, it's a mega cruise ship rather than a small one.

To each his own. Different strokes for different folks. And several other clichés. :D Seriously, cruise preferences are, like most things, relative. I'm glad you enjoy what your enjoy. :-)