Paris ... river cruise ...group in 40's-50

riandei

A friend is turning 50 in the spring and we as a group would like to do a river cruise with a stop in Paris

I would appreciate any and all info you can provide ... I am in the very early stages of investigating What line ... What price range .. What stops ...etc ...I have sent for info from Peter Deilmann, Viking and Uniworld ...

I would prefer the cruise is no more than 7 days with option to extend stay in Paris for a few days either before or after ...

again ... thanks for any info you can provide me

My husband and I sailed from Honfleur to Paris on Viking River Cruises in 2004--and it was so wonderful that we're doing it again in 2006! The itinerary is slightly changed now, in that now you sail from Le Havre (instead of HOnfleur) to Paris, or reverse. You are on the riverboat for 7 nights, but you are only sailing for 3 of those nights. You spend two nights on the ship in Le Havre and two in Paris, using the ship as your hotel. When you sail in the southerly direction (Le Havre to Paris), you actually get a little more time in Paris than when you start in Paris. Another change from 2004 is that an excursion to the Normandy Beaches is not included--awesome!

Please write to me directly if you have specific questions: shibin@aol.com

I can't imagine that anyone who has not previously visited Paris being satisfied with only a few days there! It is a city that is so easy to get around that you can self-tour to see all of the important sites on your own. We spent a week there and were able to see most of the highlights but I cannot imagine what I would sacrifice in a shorter stay. You must allocate most of a day just to the Louvre and a day trip to Versailles is a must.

Shirley can be a big help to you. We relied heavily upon her for our recent trip to China and her experience and guidance was invaluable.

Clarence:)

You might want to check with Grand Circle Travel. We took their Paris to the Riveria trip. You get 3 days in Paris and then get on the boat south of Paris. Really enjoyed the trip. For us the time in Paris was sufficient. We also took their Amsterdam to Vienna trip. Have not been on any the lines previously mentioned, but would highly recoment Grand Circle. Would be happy to answer any questions.

Mocorobabe

jmcraig01@comcast.net

Barge vs river cruise? We took a six nite barge trip to burgundy - there are also other parts of france available. There were only 20 passenger - the food was very very good (french chef). The guide (bus driver) was very knowledgeable about the daily tours he gave. We did not have to listen to repeats of history and architectural facts. He took us to very interesting places many the larger river cruise boats don't visit. We did 3 nites in Paris prior to the cruise - we stayed on the left bank - walking distance to many restaurants and cafes. The cruise included high speed train transfers to and from paris from dijon - our starting point.

We just returned from a river cruise (budapest to amsterdam) The ship was beautiful and the rooms very nice (Avalon Poetry). Review of this trip later. We much preferred the barge trip even with the teeny tiny rooms. The river cruise was interesting but the tour groups were led by local guides to the same spots the rest of the many many river boats go to. There were many on the danube and rhine. I think many of these cater almost exclusively to europeans.

That’s a great idea Riandei, there were several happy groups of 3 to 7 people on our Uniworld Seine cruise. Highly recommended!

I don’t think Uniworld has a Seine cruise this year. Viking will be all English speaking guests. Deilmann will have multi-language guests, and their excursions are extra cost. So check that out. A quick look at their web sites and Deilmanns excursions seemed a little better, but it may just have been their descriptions are better. Also, PD does not include airfare, so you would have to do that on your own.

Hi june,

We did our barge through A&K. If you have the extra money French Country Waterways has less passengers and bigger rooms. If you have a group you may be able to charter the whole barge and semi design your trip. (I would have loved more wine stuff - but what we saw was very interesting and since it was burgundy there was wine tastings included. We went late September and the weather was great - that was luck - and I prefer it cooler than hotter.

Archived