travel insurance

It is not only okay to get independent insurance, it is preferrable (IMO). Cruise line insurance almost always costs more for less coverage. Go to www.insuremytrip.com to get quotes from numerous independent agencies. That website lets you compare coverage by different insurers side by side. It'll also show you the different types of coverage offered by an insurer. Use this site to pick the best coverage for you, and then go to your finalists websites and pull up the fine print on their coverage. Compare that to the cruise line's coverage and it should be easy to choose.

Yo-

If you make your own travel arrangements - then strongly suggest getting your own insurance policy - and in this era of carriers going out of business over night - the common carrier default part of the insurance becomes increasingly important IMO-

The poster above has suggested http://www.insuremytrip.com

This is an outstanding resourse not only to compare prices but also coverages - and it is very responsible to take your time and read everything very carefully-

If you are traveling out of the country then the medical evacuation coverages become very important - I don't think that any American would want to spend very much time in a Mexican hospital as an example (and I am sure that they have many fine hospitals - so don't flame me for that one)

Also be sure to get the insurance as soon as possible after booking - within the first seven days - and make sure that you include the airfare and hotel and any prepaid ground transportation in your overall coverage-

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

Just make sure you know what your insurance covers. Our very first cruise and we brought our golf clubs in the new travel cover I gave my husband for Christmas. We took a bus to NYC to go to Bermuda. It was an added transfer from Celebrity. We bought travel insurance and somewhere between bringing the clubs off the bus and loading them onto the ship, it got torn. Well we thought they might reimburse us. We did fill out forms once on board and they did "fix" it with a patch on the inside, but that was it. We got home and read up on our insurance and it had a $250 deductible. The bag wasn't worth that much. It was sad because it was our first cruise for our anniversary and to Bermuda. You would think they could have been a little more careful with the bag. It's still usable and it's been on a second cruise, this time Carnival and we did not buy insurance. Another unrelated story that is worth mentioning. My mom gave us a brand new Samsonite luggage bag on wheels and you should have seen what it looked like coming off the flight. It has a big white streak on the side. Those in the travel industry who load and unload don't care about what they load it seems.

I use travelex insurance everytime I cruise but with our current cruise I got access america with the TA cause it was the same price. Not sure why but it was. Normally independent companies are cheaper.

I check both way though and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the answers. Darn it there goes my pre existing condition clause then. Will have to stay healthy for the cruise!

It depends on the insurance company. With Travelex, you have 21 days from the date of deposit to purchase the insurance in order to have pre-existing conditions covered. Even if YOU don't have any pre-existing conditions, a close family member who isn't going on the cruise might - and their poor health could cause you to have to cancel your cruise after it's too late to get your money back.

• 2 weeks later...

ColleenN,

I would have to say no. Most of the policies state that to be covered for financial defult, terrorism, pre-existing conditions, ect it most be bought within 10-15 days of the deposit or payment.

All insurance companies aren't the same, so I would check with your directly to see what they say.

cruzincurt,

I just checked my travel guard one and even called them after I bought it and was told that in the unlikly chance that I need to file a claim, all claims would be done directly through them and that they would file everything.

I went to insuremytrip and it now appears that Travelguard is now primary medical the same as Travelex. Another company such as CSA is secondary for medical. If you pick some to compare, there is a color chart that highlights what is primary and secondary of each policy.

Colleen, as long as you factored the cost of your airline tickets into your overall trip cost, it doesn't matter when you purchase your plane tickets. As long as you purchased the insurance within 21 days of making your initial cruise deposit, any pre-existing conditions will be covered. We plan our cruises well in advance (12-18 months) and airline fares are not available at that time. I just factor in the estimated cost of the airfare and purchase my insurance. As long as your trip cost stays within the amount you originally purchased it for, you're fine. Even if you have to alter it (we changed our plans for next February, and instead of spending a week at my parents house after our cruise, we added a second cruise to our booking), you just call the insurance company and your amended charges will be covered for pre-existing conditions as well. Travelex simply amended my policy and send me an updated copy of my policy.

• 2 weeks later...

We are new to cruising, so we certainly do not have any expertise on the subject. But the friends that got us started cruising have been on more than fifty cruises. They have never bought cruise insurance. We are leaving next week on our first solo cruise and we declined the insurance. Hope we did the right thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote: "But the friends that got us started cruising have been on more than fifty cruises. They have never bought cruise insurance."

I've driven my car to work thousands of times, but just in case.....

Insurance is a gamble, hope that you don't ever need it. One medical problem or evacuation will even the score.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived